Author Topic: Injured Players Become Slower  (Read 5170 times)

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
Injured Players Become Slower
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:38:12 am »
This has probably been suggested before. Actually I would say it definately has. Basically when a player is low on health, their speed or aiming becomes slower.

It will give them a disadvantage but more realism. Maybe only for advanced mode?
Proudly Australian :)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: Injured Players Become Slower
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 05:42:58 am »
I'm strongly against this idea. An injured player is already heavily disadvantaged by the fact that they can be killed extremely easily by any weapon with just a few simple shots. There is no need to further disadvantage weakened players.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:45:08 am by STM1993 »

Offline Keldorn

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:45:04 am »
Hmmm... I don't really like this idea much because it would seem to slow down Soldat's fast pace of action. But, perhaps for realistic it might be implemented. But all things considered, F11.

P.S: Do you even know what the function of advanced mode is?

P.S: Add a poll.

STM and I were typing this up at the same time, so I would also like to mention that everything he said is completely true.
Anyone play KOL?

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 05:46:16 am »
True. How about slower/poorer aimer as your health decreases? So for example 90% health it would be a little slower then at 40% it would be much slower. 1% would be laying on the ground rotting or something.

EDIT (since I was posting while you replied)

Yes I love the fast pace. I'm not quite up to speed with this "realistic" I hear of, is it a version much like "advanced"? I guess so.

To be honest I haven't been playing for years or anything. However, as soon as I found the switch to advanced mode I've been using it every since. I don't play online by the way *shrugs* so my suggestion should be optional if included.

At first a poll would be worthless since the suggestion was probably already discussed, but heck I'll add one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:49:33 am by AussieJay »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:48:30 am »
True. How about slower/poorer aimer as your health decreases? So for example 90% health it would be a little slower then at 40% it would be much slower. 1% would be laying on the ground rotting or something.
That's the same kind of thing. Again, as I said, there is no need to disadvantage heavily weakened opponents.

By the way... advanced mode = picking only secondary weapons from your weapon menu until you achieve certain number of kills. Are you sure its advanced mode, or are you talking about Realistic mode?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:51:49 am by STM1993 »

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:50:45 am »
Read my other reply.

Also, I'm all for realism rather than just action. Yes - I could spend money on a more realistic game. I've heard that one before...

Offline el,goog

• Major(1)
  • Ingame Name: SCP
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:52:52 am »
I'm strongly against this idea. An injured player is already heavily disadvantaged by the fact that they can be killed extremely easily by any weapon with just a few simple shots. There is no need to further disadvantage weakened players.
This is very well said.
A couple of sprayed shots from someone far away could kill the injured player.

Read my other reply.

Also, I'm all for realism rather than just action. Yes - I could spend money on a more realistic game. I've heard that one before...
Well, there's realistic mode, why don't you play that?
ǝןqıssod ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ǝןƃooƃ

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 05:56:17 am »
Read my other reply.

Well, there's realistic mode, why don't you play that?
I think he's talking about making realistic mode even more realistic.

IMO, any game, no matter how realistic etc, if it doesn't have a proper gameplay/balance, then it fails. Imagine a game whereby it is so realistic that one bullet from any gun would kill you instantly, so everyone would use the fastest-firing weapon with the longest range and accuracy and everything becomes extremely repetitive - where's the fun in that? That's why every game compromises some realism to see that a game has good gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:07:24 am by STM1993 »

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:52 am »
F11, I do not agree with this at all for the same reasons STM posted.

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:59:15 am »
I've been misleading you a bit. After starting up Soldat today I realised that realistic mode is what I mean by advanced mode.

After some good replies on my suggestion, I think I would be fine if it were an option. Something you could toggle. Other than that, you guys have made very good points.

Offline Luke Strife

• Major(1)
  • Erratic Englishman.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 07:03:09 am »
Even if it were an option, I still don't see why you should weaken an already disadvantaged player further.

If you lost the use of your legs, you'd hate to lose the ability to move your arms too, wouldn't you? Just as an example.
"The best warriors never have to fight."

"What is worth having is worth working for."

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:08:11 am »
The good thing about leaving it as an option is that it's there for those who want to use it. I would, but some people, such as yourself, would not. That's the beauty of it ;)

Your example is good, however flawed. I'm more for the realism than the fast pace, opting for less players rather than all out brawls. It just seems more real to have an injured player actually move like one - on the ground crawling or whatever.

Offline Luke Strife

• Major(1)
  • Erratic Englishman.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 07:20:16 am »
I know it's a flawed example, it was only meant to be a quick crude one to get my point across. ;)

I'm trying not to assume, but I can't imagine many people F12ing this idea. It sounds a good idea, but in my opinion just doesn't fit the theme of Soldat.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 07:24:49 am »
No, NEVER. It doesn't fits with soldat at all.

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:26:56 am »
Yeah it doesn't fit the fast-paced theme. You might have noted that instead of moving slower, how about poorer accuracy for all weapons?

It would still fit the fast theme, but makes it harder for injured players.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:03 am »
Why would you want to make it harder for injured players? If anything, dealing with multiple enemies with you already being one leg down the grave is quite a feat. Not to mention escaping with the flag when one stray bullet can send you respawning.

Offline Luke Strife

• Major(1)
  • Erratic Englishman.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:17 am »
Well that technically wouldn't be logical, to use yet another crude example, if I broke your legs, would your hand-eye coordination be off?

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 09:14:12 am »
Well it does sound realistic, although it would slow down soldat's incredibly fast paced gameplay.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 09:53:27 am »
What about the opposite? Injured players getting a very minor accuracy boost after the first 3 seconds so we can have crazy comebacks in Soldat?
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:26:43 am »
I've read the whole topic. It seems that when people dislike the idea they want to "add it only for realistic". In my opinion those lads didn't even played realistic. It's already very hard to play, why are you trying to make it more difficult?

What about the opposite? Injured players getting a very minor accuracy boost after the first 3 seconds so we can have crazy comebacks in Soldat?

How do you imagine it? Players with low health would be able to spray with no bink at all?
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."