Author Topic: Yet another m79 topic.  (Read 7394 times)

Offline 13579

• Soldier
  • &Totse-13579
Yet another m79 topic.
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:08:01 am »
I was just in the best CTF match i've ever been in. Everyone on my team was useing team chat and helping eachother, even people were  asking for cover fire and someone did it.

Then blue team ALL switched to m79s.

I could barly move when I respawned before my head went somewhere.

Everyone on red ended up leaveing because of the pure gayness/cheapness of the match.

It was so fun untill blues started mass-useing m79s.

Something like this would be more balanced in my opinion:

[M79]
Damage=165000
FireInterval=12
Ammo=1
ReloadTime=250
Speed=110
BulletStyle=4
StartUpTime=6
Bink=45
MovementAcc=3

A little more reaload time, and a slight startup time is what I was thinking.

What do you think?

EDIT: Am I the onlyone who has also notised this is the only 1 hit kill weapon in the game *not counting chainsaw* that doesn't have a startup time?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:11:12 am by 13579 »

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
Re: Yet another m79 topic.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:29:49 am »
If I'd get one dollar for every hour I spent convincing people that M79 needs startup, I'd be pretty stacked right now.

Otherwise, the M79 ain't that much of a problem if you increase it's damage value, as it becomes more dangerous for newbies who use it on close range.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 02:44:34 am »
If I'd get one dollar for every hour I spent convincing people that M79 needs startup, I'd be pretty stacked right now.

I'd be dead set against this since it'll ruin the M79's one unique thing, and that's boosting. Too many people are just using it for an easy kill instead of rocket boosting with it.

Otherwise, the M79 ain't that much of a problem if you increase it's damage value, as it becomes more dangerous for newbies who use it on close range.

That, or possibly even speeding up the reload a bit at the expense of making it less damaging so that it would require a second shot or secondary to finish an enemy off. I still say the weapons fine in pretty much every mode, but CTF really caters to its strengths, both with the capture objective and supplying an endless stream of people ready to run right into range.

Offline Gold

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 05:15:29 am »
What do i think? i think stop whining about the M79 and get on with life, its your fault you asked what i thought :) but yes.. i agree with the startup

Offline 13579

• Soldier
  • &Totse-13579
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 05:33:08 am »

I'd be dead set against this since it'll ruin the M79's one unique thing, and that's boosting. Too many people are just using it for an easy kill instead of rocket boosting with it.

Actually when they were all rushing with 79's I used one to boost to a part of the map.

You could still boost if you timed it right.

And the splash damage reduced would work good.

I just went into and got out of the same server and same thing was happening.

And there was this little dumbass who kept acting and calling himself a pro  and sweared like he was in 4'th grade, but thats another story.

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:21:22 am »
Chainsaw is 2-hit-kill, by the way.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:47:13 am »
You're invincible for a short time after you respawn, and in that time you should be able to move away, dodge, or do something.  The m79 is easy to dodge if you know what you're doing.

What weapon were you using?  If it was the barret or m79, that's no good because you need to wait several seconds to fire.  Maybe when you're getting spawn killed, use the desert eagles, shotgun, or ruger.  All of these weapons are quick kills and can be fired almost right away.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Qwertyopl

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:20:54 am »
the m79 should have more damage because i hate it when people us it for close range shots and suvive!!!

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 12:20:05 pm »
I remember how everyone used to complain about m79 boosters. I thought the extra self-damage was introduced to attempt to dissuade people from doing it. *shrugs*.

I'd be dead set against this since it'll ruin the M79's one unique thing, and that's boosting.

Don't forget point-blank selfkilling  :-\. (and don't say nades... 'cause you can boost with those too :P).

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 01:34:31 pm »
I remember how everyone used to complain about m79 boosters. I thought the extra self-damage was introduced to attempt to dissuade people from doing it. *shrugs*.

I don't know exactly why it was changed, but I thought it was not to hinder rocket jumping but to stop boosting from being such a huge advantage. Without any self damage, you could easily boost your way home right after grabbing a flag. The damage ensures you'll at least be an easy target thanks to lowered health. I don't recall people complaining about it; really, it's the only reason to use the M79 over the Barret if you're looking for an instant guaranteed kill.

Don't forget point-blank selfkilling  :-\. (and don't say nades... 'cause you can boost with those too :P).

Grenades aren't fun to boost with though.  :P It's not the same. Seems almost like a Catch 22 in that to help ensure point blank self kills, you need to increase the splash damage so much to guarantee it, but then you make it to the point where if you boost you die.

Offline NinjaXrage

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 08:37:07 pm »
Its something I like ot call autogun

Offline justmajor

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 12:09:27 pm »
 >:( I AM SO PISSED AT PPL USING M79. >:( "M79 takes skill you noob". Yeah. Pressing lmb is such a skill requiring task. Pressing the fuc|<ing start button takes more skill. YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO AIM TO HIT IT. M79 is so lame and overpowered. I mean barret and m79 are the only primary one hit kill weapons. They should be somehow equal in power but noooo: M79's MovementAcc is twice as barrets. M79 takes one second less to reload(oh and you don't need to reload the clip like barret) and m79 doesn't need a direct hit to kill. Some noob aims at your buddy, shoots him, misses, the nade lands in front of you and if you don't have much healt you're fu|<ing toast. That's SOOO equal. Or those noobs who run/fly into you and pull the trigger. "He's now injured and a easy target" Yeah right. Lands on a medpack and he's good to go noob some more ppl. My suggestion is even up the MovementAcc with barret's. All other things are somehow avoidable.

Shorter version of the above:
Barret is narrow and far, m79 is wide and close. Thats balance. But why the hell you can shoot m79 while moving easier than barret ?! Thats not balance.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 02:03:24 pm »
>:( I AM SO PISSED AT PPL USING M79. >:(

Get over it.

"M79 takes skill you noob".

Anyone who says this should be shot (outside of Soldat).  I never use the m79, but once I joined "!elite explosives" where it was the only primary available.  I started owning left and right.  It may be the only weapon that requires NO skill to use.  You click in someone's direction and they explode.  So again, anyone who says the m79 requires skill is either a liar or an idiot.

M79 is so lame and overpowered. I mean barret and m79 are the only primary one hit kill weapons. They should be somehow equal in power but noooo: M79's MovementAcc is twice as barrets. M79 takes one second less to reload(oh and you don't need to reload the clip like barret) and m79 doesn't need a direct hit to kill. Some noob aims at your buddy, shoots him, misses, the nade lands in front of you and if you don't have much healt you're fu|<ing toast. That's SOOO equal.

Oh yeah, it's much worse when the sniper misses your friend and the shot hits you.  Then even if you're at full health you're dead.  The barret is actually better than the m79.  At least with the m79, you can dodge.  The barret can hit you from across the screen, and IMO that's much worse.

Or those noobs who run/fly into you and pull the trigger. "He's now injured and a easy target" Yeah right. Lands on a medpack and he's good to go noob some more ppl. My suggestion is even up the MovementAcc with barret's. All other things are somehow avoidable.

DON'T LET HIM FLY INTO YOU!!!  Geez, you'd think this would be obvious.  If you see a guy with an m79, MOVE AWAY FROM HIM.  If your weapon requires you to be near him, GET A DIFFERENT WEAPON!  I am sick of people whining because a short range, one hit kill weapon is better than their short range, ten hit kill weapon.

I repeat, if your weapon doesn't work against the m79, CHANGE WEAPONS!  Switch to a ruger; you'll be surprised at how quickly your m79 troubles go away.

My offer still stands: Anyone who thinks the m79 is a god weapon can PM me for a one on one match.  I'll prove that the ruger owns the m79 any day.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline 13579

• Soldier
  • &Totse-13579
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:04:07 pm »

My offer still stands: Anyone who thinks the m79 is a god weapon can PM me for a one on one match.  I'll prove that the ruger owns the m79 any day.

Good offer to m79ers. Take a pic of them being owned if anyone accepts.

Offline mike323

• Major(1)
  • DONT fire that m79 at me
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 05:49:33 pm »
Hmm...what's this, the 10,934,260,765,104,324,543,927,750,754,001th  topic about why the m79 sucks?

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=1336.msg23601#msg23601

Offline `Liganolergulo`

• Major(1)
  • Mapper Since 2004
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 02:21:44 am »
I love M79, and one of the main reasons is because people like you hate it.

Date Posted: August 06, 2006, 03:11:34 AM

CURRENT M79 TOPICS

M79 Topic #1: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=3343.0

M79 Topic: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=1351.0

Also M79 Topic: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=2822.0

Another M79 Topic: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=2369.0

Yet Another M79 Topic: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=1794.0

M79 Topic #5: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=1746.0

M79 Topic #6: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=1800.0

Another Bloody M79 Topic: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=667.0

Another M79 B*tch Topic:  http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=260.0

ANOTHER M79 TOPIC: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=567.0

Bloody hell, stop complaining, lol this is pathetic
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 02:26:21 am by `Liganolergulo` »

Teen Foyer
Making maps since 2004 for Soldat, Blockland, RTB & TBM

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 05:58:34 am »
The m79 should be a tactical weapon for clearing out bunkers and such or for lobing and such. This was its main use in the vietnam.

Offline Avenger

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 02:16:14 pm »
Ok, i think the m79 is a weapon that needs skills. But maybe this is because i play realistic, and realistic only. what is quite strange, is that the weapon balance seems to be better in realistic mode than normal mode. Which is something i cannot quite understand, as the balance was made basically from issues in normal mode gameplay. as for this, i suggest that Realistic and normal mode should have separate weapon stats.

I do NOT understand why the majority of the soldat community is STILL sticking to normal mode, as it sucks bälls.

when that is said, i will also say that flaming me on this, because my meanings are most surely OUTRRRRAGEOUS!

Beeeeeecaaaause...
i stopped playing this game some time ago (still was in the same version though), and i only stopped by because this was such an extremely annoying post "DE AM79 IS OW3Rp0WARAD"!

oh, and my real reason for dropping in was to advertise a great (!) game which i have been playing lately, hopefully before i am banned for this. XD

Date Posted: August 06, 2006, 03:15:38 PM
Sjå meg i brunauget, rasshol!

Offline GunPowder

• Major
  • That's all folks.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 02:59:16 am »
Anyone who says this should be shot (outside of Soldat).  I never use the m79, but once I joined "!elite explosives" where it was the only primary available.  I started owning left and right.  It may be the only weapon that requires NO skill to use.  You click in someone's direction and they explode.  So again, anyone who says the m79 requires skill is either a liar or an idiot.

You can't just deem the m79 to be not requiring skill. How do you explain players being more accurate than others then? Luck? it's the same with the ruger and every other weapon, you start out missing most of your shots until you get to grips with the weapon and start shooting more accurately. That is skill.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 10:13:22 am »
You can't just deem the m79 to be not requiring skill. How do you explain players being more accurate than others then? Luck? it's the same with the ruger and every other weapon, you start out missing most of your shots until you get to grips with the weapon and start shooting more accurately. That is skill.

But the thing is, you DON'T start off missing most of your shots with the m79.  You point, click, and the guy explodes.  At least the barret requires timing because of its startup time.  More skilled players can hit longer shots more consistently, but anyone can kill anyone else frequently with the m79.

Judging by people's complaints on the forums, everyone is just as accurate with the m79.  You never hear "At first I was able to dodge the m79s, but then a skilled player came and I was screwed."  The typical complaint is more like this:
My sister (who's 8) played soldat for the first time the other day, and she chose the M79!, and she literally PWNed every bloody bot ( and me) with it.

Or this:
Then blue team ALL switched to m79s.
I could barly move when I respawned before my head went somewhere.
It was so fun untill blues started mass-useing m79s.

Either the blue team consisted solely of skilled and experienced players, or it's a heck of a lot easier to kill and frustrate your opponents with the m79 than with any other gun.

Again, I'm not complaining; I think the m79 is simple to dodge and I know that a ruger user can own an m79 user any day.  But if a person does not know how to counter the m79 (and it seems like most people don't), they are going to get killed almost every time.  They aren't going get killed because the guy is good with the m79; they're going to get killed because hits are common and misses can still take out opponents.
Gamer_2k4