Poll

Do you want to see inf gathers?

Yes.
No.
Later.

Author Topic: Gathers, why aren't there INF's there?  (Read 5219 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Gathers, why aren't there INF's there?
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:09:21 am »
Ok so i know the most played game modes are CTF and DM, but why not add inf? we've got a big community as well, but there are no more good public servers left! it's all zombie! and i bet if there are any inf players here they would like to see this happen, give us some inf gathers, at least 2! ffs 1 would be enough! we need a place to play good inf's without any whiners and hackers, help us out people! we're part of the soldat community too!
b&

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Re: Gathers, why aren't there INF's there?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:14:00 am »
its not popular enough imo

Im chill like that

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:16:00 am »
Then just wait till the rest of inf players read this...if you had 3 gather inf's they'd be full 80% of the time ;/
b&

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:17:18 am »
well at #soldat.mapping there is inf gather

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Keldorn

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:10:11 am »
Well, in my opinion, people generally prefer DM and CTF over INF because there's more flexibility over what you do. Also, more people play DM and CTF.
Anyone play KOL?

Offline Colonel ONeill

• Major
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:49 am »
However, as a poll's figure revealed it, inf is a mode really appreciated by ctf players.

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:41:37 am »
You can't play INF at 3 vs 3 as most of the gathers are being played. You need more players for an INF game.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:01:40 am »
@Leo you can play inf's at 3cs3...besides, aren't there 4vs4 gathers? that would do it too...you people should try playing inf before judging it, it's a very fun game mode, it takes a little bit less team work yet more co-ordination, skill, and reflex than ctf, i still stand at my point, add some inf gathers...i tried the #soldat.mapping and it's not A?N?Y different than publics, what we want is two or one official inf gather servers.
b&

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:08:08 am »
well at #soldat.mapping you can choose the amount of players when starting the gather so its really np. and the tools needed for starting a gather channel are freely available so just get a bunch of servers and start up a inf gather if you think that it will be viable.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:11:39 am »
Problem is, i don't have any access to any servers, beside the fact of my living place...where i don't think it would be possible to start a server of my own.
b&

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:16:03 am »
I don't play online (don't ask) so I have NO IDEA why there aren't many INF servers or whatever. The inf mode is the best I've seen so far.

it takes a little bit less team work yet more co-ordination, skill, and reflex than ctf
From what I've seen, offline, I totally agree. However bots cannot compare to humans. I'll have to verse a friend some time.

Although I don't go online (for my own reasons :() I'm totally for putting inf back with the big boys - DM and CTF.
Proudly Australian :)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »
Personally I prefer INF over other game modes. I like how its gameplay is slower than CTF, yet a bit more tactical in some sense. The role of the teams is very solid; one defend, one attack, simple as that, not a confused mix of the two. Plus, the maps are bigger than in CTF maps and for some reason, I always found that the weapon balance works very nicely in a INF compared to a CTF. I mean, in a INF, that's where some of the less-used guns in CTF shine. Eg: Barrett, Minimi.

I'm not surprised if there are people who think the same way and would therefore want more INF gathers. Then again, INF isn't as popular compared to CTF and it usually takes a lot more players.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:38:29 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:15:14 pm »
My server is always up and running. Check my sig.

Anyways, I've been wanting INF gathers for years now. Everyone is right though. Most INF servers are declining. Recently, I've seen 2 disappear out of no where. I'd prolly stop playing Soldat if it was to die off like RM and HTF did...

Offline AntiHero

• Camper
  • INF all the way!
    • TheAllStarsClan Site
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 01:12:02 pm »
Well I would agree but We dont need to be famous we have a clan of all inf players almost so dont need much of a gather :/
Infiltration|Veterinarian

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 02:19:42 pm »
Yet publics just aren't doing it anymore, too many hackers, whiners, and noobs, not newbs, if we had as much as 2 gathers the good plain inf players would have a place to meet and have a good round on inf fun. Thanks to all who are supporting my idea, and to the opposition...as i said before, you should try inf once, with say 4vs4 teams, then you'd know how much fun it is and how much our community need this.   
b&

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 04:00:32 pm »
Why do we need more than one gather?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 05:03:59 pm »
Hell, if you guys can settle for one so could i, it's a start and we can go on from there.
b&

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 05:29:53 pm »
It's a shame, but I gotta admit I'm not even sure what gathers are. But speaking of popularity of INF - check this thread: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32983.0   So far a lot of people said they like INF the most. As you can see, INF isn't really that unpopular.

I would really love to see more HTF servers as well. I love this game mode, but since there arent many good servers, not many people play there.

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 05:57:09 pm »
It's a shame, but I gotta admit I'm not even sure what gathers are. But speaking of popularity of INF - check this thread: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32983.0   So far a lot of people said they like INF the most. As you can see, INF isn't really that unpopular.

I would really love to see more HTF servers as well. I love this game mode, but since there arent many good servers, not many people play there.

Yes INF is NOT popular, same as HTF. 5 or 10 or even 50 people that post here aren't enough to make a mod popular. That's the harsh true.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 06:30:41 pm »
I've got a bot, who's got a server?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:59 am »
Wow Leo, i didn't know they take extremists on the beta test teams...try playing it before judging it, cause you people start off on soldat playing ctf and get so addicted you don't try other game modes and immediately call them boring, rubbish, in all kinds of ways using different words...simply wow.
b&

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 12:40:37 pm »
Hey! I run the only popular INF realistic server so I am no extremist. After 4 years on running Soldat servers I know what I am talking about ;)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 03:17:47 pm »
REALISTIC*   I'm talking about a normal server...it ain't the same.
b&

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 04:10:13 pm »
Quote from: Leo
Yes INF is NOT popular, same as HTF. 5 or 10 or even 50 people that post here aren't enough to make a mod popular. That's the harsh true.
In that case, same goes for CTF.
And that also makes CTF just a mod of TDM. And TDM is a mod of DM. So we're all just playing mods. Maybe we should all get back to the one and only true game mode - Deathmatch?

Hey! I run the only popular INF realistic server so I am no extremist. After 4 years on running Soldat servers I know what I am talking about ;)
I dont think you really know what you're talking about.
First of all, 4 years is a long time. A lot of things have changed and now it might be different. We're not talking if INF was ever popular. We're talking about that it's getting much more popular now.
That thread that I mentioned - again, a lot of people listed INF as their favorite, and this does mean something, so just being ignorant about it isn't gonna make your point any stronger. Unless by some really strange coincidence those forums are filled with only INF-lovers.

People dont like realistic and normal servers the same, some might be more popular, and some less also depending a lot on game mode. I'm not a fan of realistic INF for example, but sometimes play realistic/survival CTF.
Besides, if you take out all the modded, zombie, survival, dodgeball, !elite, hexer, trenchwars and a ton of other servers from CTF, there arent too many left that are just CTF.

I hope before posting your next comment you'll think this over and treat INF a bit better than just some unpopular mod.
[/rant]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:12:22 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:42 am »
And there i agree with loner, basically CTF IS the most MODDED game mode, so i did a search on the lobby for non-private, battle eye secure, servers, without bots, i only got 120, and this morning 101, with at least 30 of those being in places like Brazil, Philippines, and Korea...making the pings there monstrous, what do you think about that Leo? This proves that loner is right. Thanks for the support on this loner.
b&

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 05:22:43 am »
Realistic is extremely different from Normal, and most people prefer Normal. Frankly, I myself hate realistic mode and would avoid them as much as possible, but I would love a good Normal INF game.

That thread that I mentioned - again, a lot of people listed INF as their favorite, and this does mean something, so just being ignorant about it isn't gonna make your point any stronger. Unless by some really strange coincidence those forums are filled with only INF-lovers.
I won't be surprised if what you said about having more INF-lovers around here is true - notice the number of INF servers compared to CTF servers, even without modding to the game mode, and the difference in the number of players in CTF and INF.

Even if INF is indeed the more favoured game mode by Soldat players, I think the main reason why CTF is still ultimately dominant is because in CTF games, maps are always even on both teams and both teams have the same roles of attacking and defense, whereas on INF maps, they are usually biased towards a certain team (blue) and the game play is such that both teams have completely different roles - one defending, the other attacking. INF doesn't really test your overall ability, it's more one-sided, but CTF, on the other hand, does and puts both teams in the same scenario. CTF is also a much faster game mode, and I would assume that most players prefer fast-paced action.

CTF would therefore be the choice game mode for competition to test overall skill and people would play CTF more often to practice on this.

This also explains why some of the best gunners, flag-grabbers etc are not necessarily considered the best players because they may be lacking in other areas that can prove to be a big problem. You may be a good gunner, but are you able to dodge? You may be a good flag-grabber, but are you able to protect your own flag?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:30:48 am by STM1993 »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 05:43:43 am »
But those personal abilities wouldn't necessarily have to be equal with CTF players neither...Besides INF is more about the one man skill, how good he is with his own weapons, and his tricky shots.
b&

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 05:58:23 am »
I guess it's all about public (INF) vs. private (CTF)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 06:34:14 am »
It's not a competition, it's just a request for a single inf gather server, that's all, a normal mode 4vs4 or 5vs5 (if it can be done) official gather.
b&

Offline eYe

• Major(1)
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 07:45:25 pm »
You've made your poll. You had 15 people vote yes. Talk it over with someone like ramirez who has a million normal CTF servers in #soldat.gather at his disposal. Convince him to give you and your INF lovers a try. It will probably fail like R/S gathers did and a lot more people play R/S than the ones who play INF.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 07:06:54 am »
NOT, inf is a game mode meant for a fun type of tactic and more tricks to it, besides if you tell me how i can contact him I'll give it a shot. It won't fail, as long as no one here of the supporting ones was lying about it ;/
b&

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:06 am »
I play on game arena INF's when I get the chance, it's usually full!!! I love INF, I'm with STM on this one.

Offline AntiHero

• Camper
  • INF all the way!
    • TheAllStarsClan Site
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 05:31:02 pm »
Dont shut down server crimsion its the nly place were we A* members hqngout and also INF gathers should happen :/

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 06:04:12 pm »
There have been multiple inf gather channels already. They all died kind of fast. Inf maps are not balanced at all.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline AntiHero

• Camper
  • INF all the way!
    • TheAllStarsClan Site
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 06:48:00 pm »
There have been multiple inf gather channels already. They all died kind of fast. Inf maps are not balanced at all.
Duh of course there unbalanced they have to or wouldnt much sense inf..

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 01:33:39 am »
Zombie inf is one of the coolest things ever. I only play with bots as no-one plays online. Go and make Bravo zombies and alpha
team shooty bots. Good fun. Modify the weapons so tehy do SLIGHTLY more damage.

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 05:11:54 pm »
Any news on this Demon?

Offline Amida

• Major
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 05:23:56 pm »
Me and Coconutmilk tried this a few years ago and it failed.. mainly because only the ctf players knew about it and the inf players didn't even have irc.

If you can get most of the players from The Graveyard {INF} on irc then this should be a success.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 02:58:56 am »
Then, i suggest, the news is dead Grave Digger that we have a task, we can advertise for this event on your server, and I'll holla at FORBES on his server, and maybe Black Jack will help too, so that we can create ourselves a temporary server on irc to host it, then after enough people get on irc, to participate in inf gathers, we start a permanent server on irc and link it to the gather irc host, what do you guys think?

EDIT: @Grave, man i told you to call me demo! xP
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:26:15 am by demoniac93 »
b&

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 03:00:02 am »
As to the server we'll come up with something once the irc channel is up and running. I'll see if i can find any inf fanatics with good servers. Or if anyone else here who supports the idea has connections, and can use them, we would appreciate it a lot.
b&

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 06:24:09 am »
Today I went online for the first time and I instantly saw hardly any inf games. Where are they?
Proudly Australian :)

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:05 am »
Your best bet imho is to collaborate with one of the existing gathers like #soldat.gather, #sna.gather, #soldat.multi and so on as its usually is easier being part of something large then being small and on your own. also the public inf -> gather inf link need to be strong you need to get ppl from public to gather once you have a core of players playing, you can probably get ppl from the ctf gathers as well to play inf.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 08:34:35 am »
I play with bots nowadays. I need to get better and also I test my mod a lot. Weapon balancing is HARD.

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35:13 am »
its been tried about 4 times already, and each time popularity waned after the first 2-3 days. It would not be full anywhere close to 80% of the time, It was actually empty 95% of the time when it was tried previously.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 08:37:40 am »
Thanks for the advice zakath, I'll take my next step having that in mind.
b&

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:34 am »
Well this time isn't last time, is it?
b&

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:53 am »
My server is down =\

Offline AntiHero

• Camper
  • INF all the way!
    • TheAllStarsClan Site
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »
My server is down =\
Well us A* members found the solution of going to FORBES INF ^EU^ you should ask for we can tip in a little money to bring back "The Graveyard {INF}"

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 06:39:29 pm »
Hmm, i've never played a gather before. But if it means more INF players then yeah, F12.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 12:12:34 am »
Basically it's possible to make inf gather interesting, there are some interesting things possible at inf that isn't at ctf. The main issue is that maps should be much smaller to go for gather.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:22 pm »
That isn't much of an issue either, there are small maps suitable for it, like Inf_Foundation, and Inf_Industrial, and many more....
b&