Poll

F11/F12?

F11
F12

Author Topic: Mapdownload  (Read 5262 times)

DarkCrusade

Mapdownload
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:33:53 am »
I think you could probably know that: you play somewhere and suddenly you disconnect from server because you dont have one f**king map. That is annoying and inoperative I think, so I suggest to include in the version after 1.5 something where you stay at server and you waft in the air with a black background or something like that, or a special map that gets then opened (must be included before) which you can explore while downloading.

What do you think? I myself do press F12
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:16:45 pm by DarkCrusade »

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
Re: Mapdownload
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:40:11 am »
how can u explore map which u dont have?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:52:51 am »
or a special map that gets then opened (must be included before) which you can explore while downloading.
Wait, you mean we would open some kind of map for fun while waiting for for the actual map to load?

How about having the option to download every map in the server which you don't have, or have the server provide a link whereby all the maps can be downloaded?

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:27:39 am »
Something like this?

Id much rather have this than leave the server to download a map.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:28:26 am »
or a special map that gets then opened (must be included before) which you can explore while downloading.
Wait, you mean we would open some kind of map for fun while waiting for for the actual map to load?
No, a special, big map like ctf_Lobby on gathers for soldatmapping, just bigger and nicer :)

@STM1993: the second point you have mentioned can be done by owners of the servers themselves, like on !Elite Hide&Seek ;)

@The Epic Guy: yes, something like this should be doable :) the download-bars and so on could be modified in addition and are included then in ínterface-gfx, that would be nice ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:30:14 am by DarkCrusade »

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:32:24 am »
^ yeah, just as long as we can keep our slot in a server right?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:36:12 am »
Yes, that is the important thing, otherwise it could be, that the server is full then :(

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:41:22 am »
It's be a bit of a chore to program, and all you have to do is rejoin the server and it downloads it, so I'm on the fence here. But I like fancy additions, so I'll F12 for now.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:11 am »
It's be a bit of a chore to program, and all you have to do is rejoin the server and it downloads it

What, if server is full afterwards? :)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:18:28 am »
In my opinion it should be like that:
When you are playing in the server and map is changing to one you don't have, you are automatically moved to spectators team. Download progress screen is showed to you and after you get the map you can simply join the game by choosing proper one from the menu. All of this is done without disconnecting from the server and you don't lose your precious slot.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:04:02 am »
Lol, somebody pressed F11 without giving reason ... helps a lot ;D

Wookash, good idea, though :)

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »
what if the map ends because the points/kill limit is reached?

too much work too code for something so simple imo either u download the mappacks before playing or u play long enough and then have all the custom maps the server has to offer

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 01:08:26 pm »
honnestly think it is useless because a maps takes what? 30 sec MAX to download? but yes it is annoying that you hhave to leave the server

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 01:11:48 pm »
I do agree to the main point here, to have the download of the map go on while you remain connected.
But your solution seems flawed and kinda...Sorry, stupid. Some black back ground while being on spectator? I think something better can be found if we think about it for a minute or so, does anybody here have any other suggestions please? This idea is a good one, and should be taken into account and improved and worked on, any supporters wanna do that?
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 01:17:28 pm »
I think you could probably know that: you play somewhere and suddenly you disconnect from server because you dont have one f**king map. That is annoying and inoperative I think, so I suggest to include in the version after 1.5 something where you stay at server and you waft in the air with a black background or something like that, or a special map that gets then opened (must be included before) which you can explore while downloading.

What do you think? I myself do press F12

Now?

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 02:55:34 pm »
I say yes. It should put you in spec as you watch the map download.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:41:54 pm »
What if the map is huge and someone who's using dial-up and his grandma's place doesnt want to download it? In this case that person might just leave the server without downloading the map. So first of all, an auto-download on/off option should be added to config.

As for how auto-download is presented..
Loading a special "lobby map" won't be a great idea. Why to load a lobby map if you'll be there all alone? And why would you want to explore it for just few seconds of download time? And after one or two map downloads you'll probably explore every corner of the lobby map and get bored of it.
A "downloading map" screen IMO is a better idea, and I love the design, GJ The Epic Guy. Also would be nice to see a download log, in case there are errors and some sceneries don't download, and a "start" button once download is done but you'd like to look through the log.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:47:46 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 04:12:28 pm »
Yeah, F12 I think it's a great idea. Just without the special loading map.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 05:03:22 am »
F11 for that dial up thing...I'm not going to wait for some guy whos internet is like 56k...I like that idea "The Epic Guy" came up with. Looks very neat and creative.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Keldorn

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 05:53:13 am »
honnestly think it is useless because a maps takes what? 30 sec MAX to download? but yes it is annoying that you hhave to leave the server

30 seconds MAX?!?!?!!? Do you have some sort of super internet connection or do you just play on servers that use dodgeball or crappie user made maps?

Anyway, simply reserving someones spot would be good while they're downloading the map. Of course there has to be a more restricting time limit (10 mins seems a bit excessive) or else an entire slot would be wasted. An extra loading screen or lobby map (who's idea was it anyway?!?!) would seem like bit of an overkill. But, I only occasionally play Soldat, generally Clan Wars and !Elite Snipe and Slice, so my opinion might not be that good.
Anyone play KOL?