Poll

F11/F12?

F11
F12

Author Topic: Mapdownload  (Read 5261 times)

DarkCrusade

Re: Mapdownload
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:27 am »
Was my idea with lobbymap, good idea with saving slot, Keldorn, but thats goes with staying on server AND downloading :)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 09:59:43 am »
F11 for that dial up thing...I'm not going to wait for some guy whos internet is like 56k...I like that idea "The Epic Guy" came up with. Looks very neat and creative.
Either you don't understand my point, or you didnt clearly state yours.. I never said you have to wait for someone to download a map.
It's simply an option to disable auto-downloading. What it will do is keep things the way they are now - you'll get kicked to "join game" menu each time server loads map that you don't have, in case you DON'T want to download that map (which is something people with slow internet will want, or if someone wants to keep his map collection clean).
It does not affect any other players in any way. Only you.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »
Something like this?

Id much rather have this than leave the server to download a map.
F12 for that. nothing else.

Offline Keldorn

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 02:05:40 am »
Something like this?

What's the point of having an additional loading screen? Doesn't it already tell you how much you've downloaded so far?
And what percent of what you're currently downloaded (eg. scenery, background) has been downloaded?
Anyone play KOL?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 03:12:03 am »
Something like this?

LOL, think about what you´ve written ;D

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 06:44:17 am »
why are we all saying F11 or F12, cant we just say yes or no, I keep forgetting which ones which

oh yeah and this should have been implemented ages ago (the thing 'The Epic Guy' described/showed in his post)
cool

DarkCrusade

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:24 am »
F11 = no
F12 = yes

It is COOLER ;D No, just kidding, dont really know it, but maybe it is this way, because it is implemented in Soldat this way for voting :)

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 07:09:55 am »
Makes no sense to have this.

1) People put hours into getting map packs together and distributing them;
2) Not having people leave on map change doesn't allow the server user base to circulate - it becomes like water in a bowl - Nothing new in, nothing new out. Just the same users 24/7;
3) There are way more important things to do than reprogram the entire map changing system.

Stop being lazy elitists and either download map packs or live with it.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 07:14:54 am »
Makes no sense to have this.

1) People put hours into getting map packs together and distributing them;
2) Not having people leave on map change doesn't allow the server user base to circulate - it becomes like water in a bowl - Nothing new in, nothing new out. Just the same users 24/7;
3) There are way more important things to do than reprogram the entire map changing system.

Stop being lazy elitists and either download map packs or live with it.

Lol that with 24/7 is not right, idk anybody who stays 24 hours 7 days a week on a server ;D Okay, dont know you (no affront) but the way you speak it out lets me think about it ... :)

People who need hours for a mappack dont have MPA ... take the maplist of the server, save it as ???.txt and use the programm and you will be alright ;D

To finish this: give us an example for something more important, I dont know what ...

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 07:18:39 am »
God, take a bit of exaggeration.

Think of alllll the bugs and new features that need to be fixed/will be added, think about the server core that enesce wants to re-write - Just think.

Also, try doing a climbing mappack once in a while and tell me it doesn't take hours. ;)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:52 am »
Bloo what you said didn't make sense neither, some people have too slow, or too packed PC's to download map packs, and need to have them downloaded simultaneously...Think about that, (Happens to me lots of times, and it annoys me). I think a lot of people feel the same about it.
b&

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 07:35:09 am »
Why should everyone else suffer just because someone's computer is, well, crap? Seriously, if a computer can't handle a 30mb mappack, it really needs to be binned.

Soldat lives off players, and if players can't access servers because they are always full because people stay in there for hours on end and never leave, the servers will die off and so will Soldat. Sucks for the people with capped internet/s**t computers, but it's not everyone else's problem.

Edit: It's like spectators. Servers aren't there for 10 people to spectate when they can't be bothered playing. Not saying the spectator system should be removed, but there's a reason servers have kick/ban timers and some even disable them. No new players, no potential income to server admins, no servers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:36:41 am by Bloo »

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 07:41:33 am »
I don't understand how making a map pack could take hours, and even if it does, why are you using that as a basis for your argument? If this gets implemented its more convenient for the users and the admin

also I don't understand what you're saying about 'circulation', half the servers are empty
cool

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 07:44:30 am »
Yea well i bet more than 50% of us have the crappiest PC's ever i love soldat, and i BELIEVE it's the best game ever, but people with better PC's just get some fancy high resolution high detail high performance games and don't download crappy 2D's....So you should get the point. Most of us have crappy PC's...
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 07:48:45 am »
LOL ;D do you read what you write?????

Why should everyone else suffer just because someone's computer is, well, crap? Seriously, if a computer can't handle a 30mb mappack, it really needs to be binned.
Equal chance for everyone. If you say Soldat lives of  (one f) players dont write that crap!

Soldat lives off players, and if players can't access servers because they are always full because people stay in there for hours on end and never leave, the servers will die off and so will Soldat. Sucks for the people with capped internet/s**t computers, but it's not everyone else's problem.
LOL again, how can a server die if it is everytime full so that nobody can join? Total crap!

Edit: It's like spectators. Servers aren't there for 10 people to spectate when they can't be bothered playing. Not saying the spectator system should be removed, but there's a reason servers have kick/ban timers and some even disable them. No new players, no potential income to server admins, no servers.
For this there is something you call serveroptions where you can set the maximal specs on a server, I bet you didn´t know about that!

Stop writing excessive idiocy!

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:34 am »
Did you know I've been a server admin for years, DarkCrusade? I bet you also didn't know I have spectator disabled on my servers for everyone but admins. Also what's with the 'one f'? Soldat lives of? Makes no sense.

What I don't understand, is if people keep downloading maps, which they do, eventually they are going to have all the maps contained in a mappack anyway, so that's a pretty null point. Climbing packs that are upwards of 120mb I can understand, but not your average mappack.

A server can die because if an admin is simply forking out money and time, to some it becomes a bit of a waste to keep going with it. It can  have 32 players in it 24/7, but if the players never change, there's no chance of donation, service charges or ad revenue on communities because no one new is joining because no one new can get into the server.

@m00: Try setting up climbing mappacks, which take several people and several days. I know climbing map packs aren't the world, but it should help you understand my point a bit better. Also read my second post in this thread about exaggeration.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:06 am »
Did you know I've been a server admin for years, DarkCrusade? I bet you also didn't know I have spectator disabled on my servers for everyone but admins. Also what's with the 'one f'? Soldat lives of? Makes no sense.
Get.A.English.Grammaticteacher! You can use off for turning something off or things like this, wont explain it now more because I dont like to!

What I don't understand, is if people keep downloading maps, which they do, eventually they are going to have all the maps contained in a mappack anyway, so that's a pretty null point. Climbing packs that are upwards of 120mb I can understand, but not your average mappack.
What´s wrong with not needing a mappack? Will cause no more work for the owner of servers to complete a mappack when everyone can simply get the maps and prevents from stressing work like climbingmappacks and others!

A server can die because if an admin is simply forking out money and time, to some it becomes a bit of a waste to keep going with it. It can  have 32 players in it 24/7, but if the players never change, there's no chance of donation, service charges or ad revenue on communities because no one new is joining because no one new can get into the server.
LOL, you know that we all dont play all time, some people have a real life buddy ;D

Offline Keldorn

• Soldier
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:00 am »
Guys, Guys. Calm down. You're all driving off course and forgetting what this thread is REALLY about; whether or not there should be a map or special page for when a map is being downloaded (or at least a reserved position). So read ALL of the posts before you, yourself, actual do so.

P.S. I think all three of you (DarkCrusade, Bloo and Demoniac93) need to re-read what you've written and take an English improvement course...
Anyone play KOL?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 08:25:10 am »
Keldorn, it is simply a discussion about something, when here is no exchange of ideas or information the forum dies since it would suck!

I dont take the P.S. as a affront, but it´s some kind of OT :)

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 08:51:50 am »
What´s wrong with not needing a mappack? Will cause no more work for the owner of servers to complete a mappack when everyone can simply get the maps and prevents from stressing work like climbingmappacks and others!

Lets see... join lag, server bandwidth.

LOL, you know that we all dont play all time, some people have a real life buddy ;D

What? :\ I haven't played Soldat in months. I occasionally pop into my servers to check for hackers... That's it. Wanna stop with your blind assumptions?

And Keldorn, what exactly is wrong with my English? It's my first language and I'm not exactly bad at it.