Poll

is htf too fast paced?

yes goddammit! like lance on drugs
only a little
its fine you dink

Author Topic: whats the matter with htf?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline shoes

• Major(1)
  • C'est un vrai français
whats the matter with htf?
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:35:18 am »
Often, I find myself enjoying hold-the-flag-like moments in infiltration when I or one of my teammates on alpha decide not to cap and hold the flag, waiting for bravo to come take it back. Much more so than htf games.

the hold the flag mode is suppsoed to be a more versitile, double-sided version of infiltration yet it seems much too fast paced for me. I rarely see any organization in these games as the flag carrier usually zooms arouind the too-small map like a streaker through NYC and everyone else tries desparately to follow him. When he gets killed everyone crowds around the flag and there is chaos. That is why there are so few htf servers i think (i see there are exactly two empty servers on at the present time) and why i hate the mode myself.

So i've been thinking about what cound be done to improve the situation. to make an analogy, what I want is the same as having no tagbacks while playing a game of tag. And voila, here are my solutions

let's say thet opposing team has the flag. When the enemy flag carrier gets killed and a guy from your team nabs the flag, he won't automatically hold it. Instead, the flag will leave the chaos zone and
a. the guy who got it will automatically respawn with the flag (no death)
b. the guy who got it and the flag will be completely invisible for few seconds
c. the flag will respawn near that team's respawn point for anyone to take
d. There will be no flag nabbing because the flag will respawn as in "c" when the efc is killed.

i like my first idea (a) best but maybe people won't like slowing the game that down that much.

I think i would like c and d except that everyone would wait for the flag to respawn instead of going for the flag. maybe there could be some limitation on those ideas.

This game mode needs a change to stay alive

What do you think about changing htf to slow the pace? What exactly should be done?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 11:40:45 am by shoes »
C'est un vrai français

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
Re: whats the matter with htf?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:49:45 am »
It's fine, you dink

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:50:49 am »
Hold the Flag and Rambo mode are so similar almost to the point of being redundant, at least to me. The only difference is that score is based on how long you hold the flag/bow instead of the kills you get while it's in your possession. Honestly, I think I've only played maybe two HTF games ever in three years or so. I think maybe if it turned into more of a tag match (which is mostly is anyway), then it could be pretty fun. Ditch all weapons, keep the timer, and the goal is only to touch the person to retrieve the "flag." I also think the flag should go, perhaps being replaced by outfit color -- the person who's it wears green camo for hiding while everyone else is in white.

Offline Hootie hoo

• Camper
  • "Noone" isn't a word.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:57:57 am »
Sounds too complicated. I like it fast. I voted it's fine.
Image removed please read the forum rules.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 03:26:46 pm »
Hold the Flag and Rambo mode are so similar almost to the point of being redundant,...

I disagree. Although I'll say the hole teamwork thing could be the same(or alike, none the less), I think the strategic difference is pretty much overwhelming. In Rambo Match it's all vs. the 80VV M4zt4h, and in htf it's all vs. the flagger.. well, of the opposite team ofcourse. But the similarity end there. HTF offers alot more groupwork, if you ask me. As soon as one team has the flag, everyone seems to support the ffc.
It's great, because if there's one thing that soldat lacks in general, it's teamwork. And I just think it doesn't come better than in HTF. It's a shame HTF is so rarely seen..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Hootie hoo

• Camper
  • "Noone" isn't a word.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 03:30:05 pm »
^Agreed. I'd like to see more HTF, as well as dodgeball and climbing servers.
Image removed please read the forum rules.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:46:03 pm »
Hold the Flag and Rambo mode are so similar almost to the point of being redundant, at least to me.

No, it's more like Rambomatch and Pointmatch are redundant.  I think HTF offers a different sort of gameplay than Rambomatch, because teams are involved.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:26:47 pm »
Hold the flag has not been given it's proper chance in Soldat

Probably half the people here who have posted have not even played HTF 2 months after the release.

I personally cannot give proper insight because I havent been able to play HTF online..

Too few servers cause me to neglect it. I do try to set up occasional HTF scrims with clans tho (awesome)
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Mothafix

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 06:02:45 am »
I heard Bgretydews will be doing a htf server, after SOVORT.
HTF is indeed very fun, but there are rarely any servers.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 06:42:58 am »
PM is my favourite game mode, you theres only 2 oe 3 servers that have it and theyre t 400 ping + for me :(

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 11:39:42 am »
I remember having a couple friends on a server we made, then we let it go public and HTF, there were about 12 people playing at all times, and it was great. All you need to do is type quickly or use taunts as communication, find safe spots, and if you are FC, run around and find team mates who will usually follow you.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 12:54:25 pm »
fast pace ftw!

Offline shoes

• Major(1)
  • C'est un vrai français
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 09:32:02 am »
The thing is, I think that it's the fast pace that frustrates players into not making it a popular gamemode.
C'est un vrai français

Offline -{Phoenix}-

• Major
  • /<**
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 09:38:58 am »
It's fine, you dink
lmao. Yea I agree, HTF is fine.
FEAR - fear is not to be feared - fear is edge - fear keeps you on your toes - fear keeps one eye open when you sleep - fear adds caution to courage - conquer fear and fear is not your foe, its your friend.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 09:58:26 am »
I think hold the flag in itself is a great idea. The only problem it suffers from are somewhat lackluster maps. They are almost all circular based, where you can just jet around and around to "escape" with the flag. Someone needs to put some thought into HTF and make some different maps. Perhaps adding some "one way" passages, where you can jump down but not up, and places where you can set up camp but arn't invincible.