Poll

What maps do you need the most?

Infiltration
Capture the Flag
Trench War
Hold the Flag

Author Topic: Announcement of Mapping Contests for Server Admins  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Announcement of Mapping Contests for Server Admins
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »
While it has seems that the custom maps community and public server communities are distinguished, there is little co-operation between these organizations, at least within these forums. It’s time for change.

Together with another mapping moderator & beta tester Wraithlike, we've decided to start Soldat mapping contests, someone could call it a mapping league.

There will be different kind of contests, basically we can classify them in two:

* Classic/Atmosphere mapping contests, and

* Unique (only ctf) mapping contest.

Before each contest we’ll decide which gametype it supports (inf/ctf/tw/htf) and the size of the maps (3on3/4on4/5on5, or more). The duration of each contest will be one month.

What do I mean about co-operation with public servers? We need a prize, and the best prize would be that the winner's map gets played. That’s where we need you, popular public servers. I believe you’ll benefit as, you’ll get new play-tested and good maps for your servers, as well as free advertising for your server.

I’m mainly speaking about prizes for the Classic/Atmosphere mapping contests, since unique maps have issues on public servers (flag throw, reversed flags, etc), we’ll have different prizes for them (not important in this post).

We’ll collect a list of the servers that are interested to be part of this later.

This is the first announcement about this league. To build interest, the first contest will be a classic/atmosphere contest, but what game mode? What maps do you need the most? INF/CTF/TW/HTF?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:33:58 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Re: Announce of Mapping Contests for Server Admins
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »
Seems like a great idea, I'll most definitely be putting maps in for this ;).
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Setsuna

• Major(1)
  • Omg Thats My Comp!
    • |FoX| Clan Website
Re: Announcement of Mapping Contests for Server Admins
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:36:12 pm »
Nice. Only if i was a map maker. XD
I fly like paper and get high like a plane!

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:36:06 pm »
Yeah, give me nice INF maps please. I have plenty CTF ones :)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »
Hey I'd participate in something like this. It's like SML's old mapping contests! Those were fun even though I was and still am horrid at mapping.

Offline JFK

• Camper
    • My TraxInSpace Account
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:13 am »
I'd support this. Also interested in DM maps, you don't have that as an option.
Come join: EliteCTF
Listen to: My Music

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:00:01 pm »
I'm also willing to support this. This would be cool, soldat needs more ctf maps because imo it's most played with clans and just for fun.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:59:10 pm »
There are plenty of CTF maps as is.... We can use some quality inf maps instead!
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 12:53:54 am »
This question was supposed to go for server admins, to make it clear which maps they need. The question isn't "what maps do the mappers like to create".

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:30:15 am »
I am standing in both worlds(both have servers and are a mapper) I must admit that I mainly make ctf maps(except for a few maps for mods) so imho inf is what are most needed.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 04:45:08 am »
I like the idea, I think this is appreciated for a long time and I will come back to the mapping scene :) I would mainly suggest to do capture the flag maps since most players play ctf. Next would be infiltration to me, I like that gamemode, too ;D

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 06:44:04 am »
I like the idea, I think this is appreciated for a long time and I will come back to the mapping scene :) I would mainly suggest to do capture the flag maps since most players play ctf. Next would be infiltration to me, I like that gamemode, too ;D

well ppl play mainly ctf, however there are already made plenty of ctf maps on a regular basis htf and inf are more scarce and I think both gamemodes would benefit from maps being made which is why imho the competition should promote those modes instead.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline JFK

• Camper
    • My TraxInSpace Account
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:32:30 am »
This question was supposed to go for server admins, to make it clear which maps they need. The question isn't "what maps do the mappers like to create".

Isn't it possible to keep the map type open or allow a set of types, so every mapper can just deliver what he likes? It might be a bit hard to compare different types of maps with eachother, but I'm sure there are possibilities for a good judging system. One could select winners for each type and server owners can pick out the ones they need.
Come join: EliteCTF
Listen to: My Music

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 07:08:32 am »
I don't think that somebody needs tw maps. (
Even those lately released aren't being played anywhere... ((

Offline FORBES

• Major(1)
  • It AlL GeTs CrAzY WhEn ThE LiGhT's Go Out !
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:51 am »
need inf badly

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 08:47:11 pm »
Well, I really shouldn't be posting as I'm not a server admin (so to redeem myself, I won't vote)... but one of these days, I may rig up my old computer to act as a basic server.  One gamemode that I think would rock to play online would be HTF. 

But on the topic of contests: I love contests.  Provides more purpose, and when there's more purpose, I find that I am more apt to flourish... I'm sure the same goes for other people too.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 11:22:34 am »
But on the topic of contests: I love contests.  Provides more purpose, and when there's more purpose, I find that I am more apt to flourish... I'm sure the same goes for other people too.

Well I think contest without prize isn't much. I'm trying to contact as many server admins as possible to support the league. I'm already having a few good server admin contacts, and it seems they are interested in league.

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 12:28:32 pm »
Tumbs up for this, sure INF maps are needed but they are not so funny as the ctf maps,.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
Tumbs up for this, sure INF maps are needed but they are not so funny as the ctf maps,.

I totally agree. But is it cos of gamemode or cos of maps? The most default maps are like b2b at ctf, big and boring, if game is smaller than 5on5.

Offline Splinter-Snake

• Soldier
  • One must die, and one must live.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 12:57:24 pm »
TW all the way.