Author Topic: Play Soldat with a gamepad  (Read 11170 times)

Offline gedazz

• Camper
Play Soldat with a gamepad
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:48:28 am »
(This is not an application, but I thought this is the best place to post.)

I'm sure this topic has been discussed a lot, I just wanted to share this with you. Okay, there is this program called Joystick 2 Mouse. It lets you assign almost any keyboard or mouse button to your gamepad. So, I thought it might work with Soldat. And it did:

Here's what you need to do, in order to use this configuration:
  • Set all Soldat controls to default
  • Download Joystick 2 Mouse (link)
  • Download configuration file Soldat.xml (link)
  • Open the file with Joystick 2 Mouse:
  • Go play the game!

You might need to adjust mouse sensitivity. Also, you can always edit the configuration with the same software.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:59:00 am by gedazz »

Offline CurryWurst

• Camper
    • Soldat Global Account System
Re: Gamepad for Soldat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:08:51 pm »
Does it also support the Xbox 360 wireless controller for pc?
EDIT: Verified. It also works with the 360 controller.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:21:05 pm by CurryWurst »
Soldat Global Account System: #soldat.sgas @ quakenet

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:27:48 pm »
seriously tho how the FUCK do you aim with the joystick...

u can see in fps shooters its 10x better with the mouse, imagine soldat

nice find i guess tho lol

Offline gedazz

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:51:29 pm »
Yeah, it's really hard to aim. Takes a lot of getting used to. But I find it pretty fun, although I use it only when playing against bots.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:58:41 pm by gedazz »

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 03:14:39 pm »
I've tried this a few times over the past year or so (since I bought a PSX>USB convertor for my emulators), using the exact same program for Soldat. It's actually not that bad, with a bit of practice, but still a lot harder than normal keyboard and mouse.

The biggest problem is having to move the mouse a long distance across the screen quickly, to try to shoot someone behind you. If the mouse sensitivity is TOO high, it becomes impossible to aim. Maybe I just haven't found the right settings yet. :P

I played around with the controls, and I must say I find it easier to crouch with the left stick (down, not L3), and having jet and jump on the same side (L1 Jump, L2 Jet).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:18:43 pm by -Vis- »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 03:33:23 pm »
Does it also support the Xbox 360 wireless controller for pc?
EDIT: Verified. It also works with the 360 controller.

Here's to XBLA Soldat. :) Sounds fun to try out, but I think with chat messages still bind to keyboard access, this is just something to play around with and won't be used by the vast majority. I'm sure Ventrilo/Teamspeak/whatever users won't have that as an issue, but they'd still have to fight the loose control.

The only way I see this coexisting with keyboard/mouse would be to separate control of the view field from the targeting cursor. Either that or have a separate button for "fast/normal" cursor speed. It'd still be inferior but more playable with this console style setup.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:29:56 pm »
Really Interesting!
I wonder how it would be to play with a wiimote.
I guess you would need a nunchuck to be able to handle all necessary controls.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:07:05 pm »
I tried this out myself several times with my 360 controller and various USB controllers. You can't aim fast enough with a thumbstick.
It's like trying to aim in a first person shooter with a thumbstick... oh wait, many tard gamers already do that on their 360s. >.<

I wanted to play Soldat with a gamepad, since being a 2d game I wanted to be able to play on my TV in my lazyboy, but just ain't
gonna happen. Even bots slaughtered me. Jumping and running worked well though, but any other maneuvers were hard.

I may end up using a controller or some kind of joystick input anyway for running and jumping, as I'm jamming my joints in my middle
finger (w-finger) to dust and it's starting to hurt after a good hour of Soldat.

One day, there may be a way to have the convenience and comfort of a gamepad without sacrificing aiming ability, but that day is not
today, unfortunately. Then again, that's only my experience. If you guys can manage to play well or better with a controller... all
the power to you. :)
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline AlterEgo

• Major(1)
  • Alter Ego of Dman Pwning Sns
Re: Play Soldat with a gamepad
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:06:20 am »
Great, really works in wireless console of xbox 360 :)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 06:43:43 pm »
Just noticed that there are some important keys missing like the ESC key (to leave the game) and the ones for taunt support.
Would be fun if the directional pad could be used for that (maybe combination directional pad + another key for taunts)

When I understood it correctly the problem with slow aiming is that it takes some time to move the mouse with the thumbstick to the 'other side'.
Like when a player is behind you but your mouse is very far on the left side so that you have to wait till the mouse gets on the right side so that you can shoot the enemy.

What if the mouse could be sent to the center of the screen with one key or when you could hold a key to speed up mouse movement until you release it?
Wouldn't that help?

I haven't tried the Joystick 2 Mouse tool so I don't know if that is even possible.
But I'm really interested these tweaks could improve gameplay.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »
Wow that's neat!

But it won't be effective on gathers...
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:04 pm »
Make the d pad snap the mouse to half way across the screen up down left or right. That would work.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:09:33 am »
haha thats so cool! I wanna try this
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline xFishBowlx

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »
I know this thread couldn't be anymore dead... But hopefully someone gets this.. I've tried downloading the Soldat.xml file from the link provided, but it says its no longer available. I've also searched for this file and have yielded no results. Any advice?