Author Topic: Windows (XP) vs Linux (Ubuntu)  (Read 9179 times)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Windows (XP) vs Linux (Ubuntu)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 07:02:21 am »
Linux uses much less CPU and RAM than Windows.
Not only does it use less RAM and CPU, it also uses them more efficiently. It even caches stuff in RAM it thinks you're going to use (which confuses some people when they see that most of their ram is in use), how cool is that?
There are other worlds than these

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 09:03:51 am »
Yeah...Windows 7 rocks, got the release candidate because the new final release isn't going to be released for another year. However, between Win XP and Linux, Win XP wins...better format created.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline JFK

• Camper
    • My TraxInSpace Account
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 06:54:15 pm »
However, between Win XP and Linux, Win XP wins...better format created.

Oh?  ::)

Please explain  ;D
Come join: EliteCTF
Listen to: My Music

Offline MetsuriTossavainen

• Camper
  • The Chainsaw Wizard
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 11:35:46 pm »
Linux desktop is also cool. You can turn it around and run different programs on each side... Open source kicks Windows' ass! :]

Offline danmer

• Camper
  • crabhead
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:49 am »
Linux desktop is also cool. You can turn it around and run different programs on each side... Open source kicks Windows' ass! :]
oh snap, does it mean we can run FOUR separate soldat servers on the same machine? AWESOME! I only manage to get one server running on each core on windows - makes it two servers on a dual core CPU.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 04:00:17 pm »
oh snap, does it mean we can run FOUR separate soldat servers on the same machine?
EnEsCe, U13, and Selfkill all have their Soldat servers running the same machine. Obviously using different ports.

Offline rayanaga

• Soldier
  • ~Fur flying~
    • Kryonex
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 01:36:29 am »
oh snap, does it mean we can run FOUR separate soldat servers on the same machine?
EnEsCe, U13, and Selfkill all have their Soldat servers running the same machine. Obviously using different ports.

Hmm. I always thought U13 had a server in chicago and eC had one in Texas on two seperate machines.

I think its pretty cool that you can run ubuntu inside of windows as well. That is just flatout awesome.
[kY] Kryonex - Your local zombie fanatics.
http://www.kryonex.com/

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 01:55:03 am »

Hmm. I always thought U13 had a server in chicago and eC had one in Texas on two seperate machines.

I think its pretty cool that you can run ubuntu inside of windows as well. That is just flatout awesome.

He doesn't mean it like that, all of those hosts arent on the same machine literally; he means we (each individual host) runs our customer soldat servers on one machine (per host).

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 02:52:38 am »
Stop making Lame topics like this when its obvious to everyone that Windows XP is better. :)
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 04:14:24 am »
Not always is XP better. It fails too much sometimes.
If you use it right you wont have problems...
btw, Pavliko  :-\ (His signature)
модеры сосут --> Moderators sucks.
What about it?
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

• Camper
  • The Chainsaw Wizard
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 07:38:14 am »
Windows is made for playing Soldat.
Linux is made for hosting Soldat Servers.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 08:52:49 am »
it's widely known that Linux hosts servers better than windows.

Linux runs better and smoother, and doesn't have tons of unnecessary things that takes resources like windows.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 11:06:54 am »
This has gone on far enough. Let me make this simple:

All soldat server rentals use Linux for their hosting. Why? Because it's far more reliable and easier to manage. And Linux can go much, much longer than windows can without rebooting. Just looking at my desktop right now, it's been up without restarting for 43 days.  The Linux server that hosts this site, soldat.pl, and all the other official soldat/THD stuff has been up for 89 days. The Linux server that hosts jrgp.org and everything on it has been up for 128 days.

Can Windows do that? Fuck no. Why? Because with each teency little software update you are forced to reboot, and if you don't want to in a few hours while the computer is unattended it will automatically force restart itself, making you lose whatever's running.

Pavilko, my dear, how can Windows be better when Linux is hacked no where near as many times as windows is, (and every time it is it's because the person running it doesn't know what they're doing and is a lazy moron), Linux can stay up without rebooting for years (seriously), Linux doesn't need to reboot with each update, and it handles memory far more efficiently, the file systems it uses by default don't get fragmented (as a matter of fact the only modern file system that does is NTFS.)

Haven't you realized that most major games, like hl2, cs, all of id software's FPS' etc, all have Linux versions of the dedicated servers?

Because the companies know and acknowledge that linux is better for that purpose. And that's not to mention that all of ID Software's major games have Linux versions. See here and here. Why is that? Because the company loves open source software and has their games using a cross between directx and opengl, directx on windows and opengl on linux/mac. If Linux was crap, such a big company would never fiddle with it.

The _only_ advantage Windows has over Linux is that more desktop applications and games run on it.  And with each year that fact is steadily fading away...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:37:25 pm by jrgp »

• Camper
  • The Chainsaw Wizard
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 01:59:19 pm »
Can't be explaned better.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 06:26:49 pm »
XP is fine and kind to me, i'm a n00b.

Offline M[a]nny

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 05:41:29 am »
Linux uses much less CPU and RAM than Windows.
Windows is also freezing sometimes and there comes out other "billrulz"-errors.
I totally agree with you, this is main reason why experienced users use linux instead crashing windows. I think, if administrator of soldat servers can code some script, he is also able to code some main application to run/stop his servers. So, he can control all servers from windows through TCP/IP connection (there'll be 2 apps: 1. on the server's side, linux and 2. on client's side - for admin, windows).

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »
Yeah...Windows 7 rocks, got the release candidate because the new final release isn't going to be released for another year. However, between Win XP and Linux, Win XP wins...better format created.
Just wanted to point this out: Windows 7 will hit the shelves on October 22, 2009.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »
If people have used only one there opinions are void. I have used both windows xp and various linux and I have to say linux is much easier. The whole "more complicated" poop isn't true, in my opinion. There are walkthroughs for the whole process and once it gets running it is much easier to take care of.