Author Topic: Teaming up in Deathmatch  (Read 1438 times)

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
Teaming up in Deathmatch
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:36:29 pm »
I touched on this in the Family tag-teams Thread.But in a more generic sence, not just with family etc, do you think that it's ok to team-up in a deathmatch server? Note that I mean regular deathmatch not Team Deathmatch.

It defeats the gameplay really, as the point of Deathmatch is that you are alone against the rest, and your score is your own score rather than your teams.

The excuses I've heard from people were: "we're brothers", "we're cousins", "we're best friends" and today- "it's our server". Oh it's your server? Then why don't you change it to Team-f**king-deathmatch!? And that "we're brothers/friends/twise-removed-cousins" excuse doesn't really work either; as it kinda implies that they aren't shooting at each other because they have a good relationship....as if this is real-life war and I'm the enemy. But it's not real-life war, its a game, so you play the game as you're supposed to play it. IMO its borderline cheating.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:42:09 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline gedazz

• Camper
Re: Teaming up in Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:15:43 pm »
There are two points of view: it's cheating or, I don't know, strategy. People like to do this because they are not tied to a certain team. You can quickly unite and the same way betray. And if it's Survival the "team" is still going to kill each other anyway. So, I'm not against it, although personally I wouldn't play this way.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:21:03 pm »
Echo and I did that to piss people like you off immensely.

It totally worked, I was using M79 as well.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »
On the few times that I've done it myself, it felt fun yet lame at the same time; kinda like winning in a WM server.

And doing it in 2v1 is retarded, as it makes you look twice as weak. Unless the person being ganged-up on has somehow deserved it.

to piss people like you off immensely.

What's my type then? :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:48:21 pm by SDFilm »

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:25:42 pm »
In general, the people who have teamed up against me in DM were not skilled enough despute the disadvantage I had and ended up vote kicking me or leaving out of frustration after repeated swears and complaints. Regardless, I agree you with on the notion that it's close to cheating - while not actually literally modifying the game, it's abusing the game mode to their advantage. You're nearly powerless to stop it other than to leave yourself, which prevents you from playing there again until they quit or enough people join that their "team" isn't very effective anymore.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:29:31 pm by Twistkill »

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Murska

• Major(1)
  • I'll tell you what's personal!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 05:25:00 pm »
Generally, if people team up on me in DM, the fact that they each get less kills total and the fact that my strong point is fighting multiple opponents at the same time since my aim sucks but my movement is okay helps me keep it pretty even.
When you're in the bottom of a deep rocky pit, and you think you can't get any lower, god hands you a shovel.

Offline el,goog

• Major(1)
  • Ingame Name: SCP
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:43:32 am »
I personally don't care about the situation.
It just proves that there not good enough by themselves.
If you don't like it, just leave the server. ::)
ǝןqıssod ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ǝןƃooƃ

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:03:07 am »
I generally don't think of it as much of a problem, except for these two guys I ran into once a long time back -- two guys with M72s and whatever else were in cahoots, members of some clan or whatever, no doubt, but the kicker is that they both lagged like all hell. They'd play for a few minutes, one of them would get ping kicked, and then the other would actually leave the server until the first one's ban expired, then they'd both hop back in. One of them by themselves, probably not a big problem, but their tag-teaming, explosive-belching, bulletproof-lagging duo was seriously getting right up my left nostril. Oi.

...Wait a sec... That may or may not have been a team match, actually. Nevertheless. I don't really team up with people in deathmatch, per se, but if I'm in with a friend of mine, we'll probably not shoot at each other too much. Again, I'm not the most accomplished player ever, but I've never really seen this as too much of a problem.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:39:55 pm »
Generally, if people team up on me in DM, the fact that they each get less kills total and the fact that my strong point is fighting multiple opponents at the same time since my aim sucks but my movement is okay helps me keep it pretty even.

Yea, sometimes working in a team is actually worse because they get less kills as an individual. And normally I've found that the people teaming up aren't very 'pro' individually either.

Advantage or not, the main reason why I think it's borderline cheating is that they're purposely teaming up to make it harder to get killed; Which then begs the question- why? The point of DM is to kill someone else while they have the same potential chance of killing you, thus killing them shows that you are a better player (or just lucky). But teaming up means that you are abusing the game and creating an uneven playing field for the sake of it being easier to kill; making the game more about killing others and less about having a fair game- And what does that remind you of?

Plus that "we're brothers" thing just doesn't make sense. Perhaps its a matter of personal preference, but when I play games with my twin bro I still shoot him if he's on the other team/in DM because...that's the game. Choosing to be on the same side as your bro instead of someone else is fine, as you'd prefer to play with someone who you know well. But where does going as far as abusing the game come into that? If it's bad manners to shoot your brother/friend in a game, then wouldn't it be bad manners to shoot the rest of the people too? Again, it goes back to that selfish style of playing for kills instead of fairness.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 05:49:36 pm »
My post was either deleted, or it never went up, either way, I was discussing how this is still a tactic when it comes to regular Deathmatch play. I have teamed up with people before.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 06:11:45 pm »
And?

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:00:57 pm »
I mean, it does kinda make sense, it's Deathmatch. It's an anarchy.

Besides, it's inevitable if it's 1v1v1 a.k.a. triple threat.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline el,goog

• Major(1)
  • Ingame Name: SCP
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 11:17:52 pm »
I wonder why they don't play TM if they love teaming up so much.
ǝןqıssod ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ǝןƃooƃ

Offline Long-Shot

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 02:21:28 pm »
or u could take it as practice. ppl who team up on in DM's tend not to be actually skillful players, so practice off of them.

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »
I touched on this in the Family tag-teams Thread.But in a more generic sence, not just with family etc, do you think that it's ok to team-up in a deathmatch server? Note that I mean regular deathmatch not Team Deathmatch.

It defeats the gameplay really, as the point of Deathmatch is that you are alone against the rest, and your score is your own score rather than your teams.

The excuses I've heard from people were: "we're brothers", "we're cousins", "we're best friends" and today- "it's our server". Oh it's your server? Then why don't you change it to Team-f**king-deathmatch!? And that "we're brothers/friends/twise-removed-cousins" excuse doesn't really work either; as it kinda implies that they aren't shooting at each other because they have a good relationship....as if this is real-life war and I'm the enemy. But it's not real-life war, its a game, so you play the game as you're supposed to play it. IMO its borderline cheating.

i agree.

sorry for being a grammar tard but its sense and twice. Adam

Offline Swifty

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 02:16:19 pm »
I've never had people team up with or against me in a DM, but I honestly wouldn't trust anyone enough not to kill them if they are close.  But I do think it is a strategy, though.
Winners Don't Do Drugs, They Sell Them.

Offline Essentle

• Major(1)
  • since 1.1.5
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:39 pm »
It's fine to me as long as there's alot of people in the server. If it's the teamed up guys against you or like you + a couple of others then it can be a pain