Author Topic: Are my boogiemen just stupid?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Are my boogiemen just stupid?
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:41:23 pm »
Or is there some sort of bug with my waypoints (or lack thereof).

Here's the problem - I'm working on a zombie map and my boogiemen are simply ignoring my waypoints.  Yes, I've made sure they run over the exact spot.  Even waypoints that are right off the spawnpoint are ignored.  The boogiemen all just follow the command of "Jump + Right" even after they hit a "Go left" waypoint.  Sometimes they even start backflipping which, although is extremely amusing to watch, doesn't make for a very good zombie map :P.

The blue spawn I've shown in the picture doesn't even HAVE  a waypoint on it, but the boogies still follow the "Right + Up" command... can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? :(
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Re: Are my boogiemen just stupid?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:12:58 pm »
You've probably set them to Path 1 and/or are not connecting your waypoints. It's difficult to say without a proper screenshot. Likewise, enemy bots will still track other players and move without waypoints when pursuing the enemy.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:20:31 pm »
Ahh I was doing them wrong domino, so nevermind, problem solved :P

*apologizes to boogies* :-[
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »
Actually, I have a similar problem.

I was waypointing Gnoblar's map for his mod.  The alpha waypoints work 90%, so I'm pleased.  But with the Bravo team: the instant they spawn, they immediately start to follow the Alpha waypoints leading to the right, instead of following the #2 waypoints leading to the left.  The #1 waypoints are not on the Bravo spawnpoints whilst the #2 waypoints (leading left) are. 

Soldat's AI is sometimes very angsty >:(.  I managed to find a workaround, but they're still screwed up beyond reason; like the Bravo team refuses to jump 'up,' but they'll jump 'left+up.'
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:36:52 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:32 am »
Soldat's AI is sometimes very angsty >:(.  I managed to find a workaround, but they're still screwed up beyond reason; like the Bravo team refuses to jump 'up,' but they'll jump 'left+up.'

I played inf_Meatball today, and the bots were dancing on the low path. It can be frustrating how unpredictable otherwise reliable waypointing can be at times. I know there are times when I had to use a sloppy fix of multiple intersecting waypoints to try to force bots to behave a certain way when the single track wasn't getting it done.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:29:26 pm »
Keep in mind that bots are automatically programmed to Up + Left/Right if a regular Left/Right wypt. is not achieving enough speed for them, until they get really running. Some jagged terrain can be really tricky to keep them moving quickly. This is why I prefer instead of having bots climb 45ยบ ramps, to leap forward and jet up them.

And that's why you want to take as much advantage of terrain as possible; like ctf_Run. The bottom path I wypted. isn't just Run Rights or Run Lefts all the time. I have them always jump over pits or off of ledges whenever possible to keep them moving as fast as possible.

It's more intense for players that way, anyways. ;)