Author Topic: Soldat StoryMode  (Read 7122 times)

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Soldat StoryMode
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:15:53 pm »
I was wondering about this - wouldn't it be kinda cool if soldat had a story mode?  I think the idea of progressively harder missions with some kind of hiscore system would keep people interested.  It could span a full range of situations (ie, surrounded gunfights, ambushes, boogie slaying, infiltration/metal gear solid s**t :P).  It could also be used as a learning mechanism for newer players - instead of being massacred in servers by veteran players, they can build their skills in missions (since normal bot play is pretty boring).

I've done an example of an idea for a first mission kinda thing to show kinda what I was thinking.

Gimme your opinions on this ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:19:43 pm by p0ppin »
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
Re: Soldat StoryMode
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:19:35 pm »
Well if someone is willing to do it...it looks pretty cool especially for new players. And making like mission modes and challenge modes would be cool if you get really bored. I'll suport this but are you willing to do it?
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:21:16 pm »
Hell, not sure if this would be a one man job, though I'd happily make maps for this if its widely supported :)  and some mission stories/dialogue too ;D.

As for coding, I'm quite hopeless :P
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:23:15 pm »
I'm sure if the maps are going to be supplied people will be willing to help with the coding as you are saying. But as it gets more popular I'm sure more mappers will be encouraged to create more maps regarding this gamemode. Although myself, im a very poor mapper in which I've only made one climb map.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:03 pm »
Well, we'll see what everybody else thinks I suppose :P  I'm sure theres somebody out there that can see a huge flaw in all of this ;)  As for me, I'm off to bed, night  ;D

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
if you manage to get mappers, coders and people interested on this this MIGHT work. apart from that it's quite a far idea.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »
Not going to happen. It'd be cool to see. But it's not going to happen.

Trigger systems would be good to see, but it's not happening.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:57:52 am »
Not going to happen. It'd be cool to see. But it's not going to happen.

Trigger systems would be good to see, but it's not happening.

Never saw the storymode and the storymode 2 by Zakath? I´d like to see this implemented, especially because newbies start at 0. They can walk through the storymode and learn the things by doing instead of reading the whole readme AND you could choose between the special tutorials which could be even appreciated by progamers wanting to get better at some special things like the filipino backflip. Also you could train them in getting the ass from spawn on a climbmap to the finishing line!

I F12 this, and I would help with making some maps :)

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 03:07:21 am »
Sounds like a good idea, the mission mod that zakath (i think) made was kind of half of the way towards what you suggest.

Quote from: DarkCrusade
filipino backflip
Wait, what? Have you been listening to Jayvee too much?
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 03:16:19 am »
Sounds like a good idea, the mission mod that zakath (i think) made was kind of half of the way towards what you suggest.

Quote from: DarkCrusade
filipino backflip
Wait, what? Have you been listening to Jayvee too much?

Yes, was a joke for those who know him ;D

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:36:48 am »
Never saw the storymode and the storymode 2 by Zakath? I´d like to see this implemented, especially because newbies start at 0. They can walk through the storymode and learn the things by doing instead of reading the whole readme AND you could choose between the special tutorials which could be even appreciated by progamers wanting to get better at some special things like the filipino backflip. Also you could train them in getting the ass from spawn on a climbmap to the finishing line!

You'd need a trigger system to make a descent one, and I don't think that's scriptable, though i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:56:32 am »

You'd need a trigger system to make a descent one, and I don't think that's scriptable, though i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Like I said you don´t seem to know the story mod by Zakath

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 07:00:59 am »
I'm not sure, we don't have any destructive polys? So shooting vent off is inoperable. ;d
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 07:36:55 am »
Soldat is aimed for intense gameplay, no strategical crap. This is not the game to do such thing.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 07:46:11 am »
~Niko~, it is not a gamemode for playing with others and it is for tutorials ... you can get that :)

Offline Underworld

• Camper
  • Mapper
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 08:04:12 am »
Its a Multiplayer online game lets keep it that way eh...
I don't understand
do you mean that there is a /faceplam commmand ?
and this command should drop a random item ?

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 08:53:34 am »
Soldat is aimed for intense gameplay, no strategical crap. This is not the game to do such thing.

Its a Multiplayer online game lets keep it that way eh...

I'm not trying to undermine the foundations of soldat here guys.  I have played it for a while, i KNOW it's meant to be an intense/fast-paced game.  However, I think when you're just starting out, the fast-paced aspect can be a bit frustrating.  How many new players do you think soldat has lost because they went into a server and got killed 20 times in a row before they remembered how to move?  It's not like the implementation of this idea will force all servers to be slow-paced with advice shooting across the screen :P.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 09:01:44 am »
No I haven't seen the storymode mod. Of it's a script it's useless to me. I don't think you can have a singleplayer offline script.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 09:24:42 am »
First thing in this tutorial should be: "Go to 'Player' tab and change your in-game nick from Major to whatever you like." ;p
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 12:39:12 pm »
First thing in this tutorial should be: "Go to 'Player' tab and change your in-game nick from Major to whatever you like." ;p

hahaha
story mode would rock. triggers would rock. if we have triggers, we could get more ppl working on a story mode... (Soldat\Missions\mission1.smm)
and ppl could make custom missions etc.
it deviates from soldat's style, but for a game that's under heavy development (even after 8 yrs) that might not be a bad idea, as long as its original contents stays (ie: the way multiplayer is played)
Can't think of anything original to put here...