Author Topic: Caps and Points  (Read 1365 times)

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
Caps and Points
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:39:57 pm »
As far as I know, every other CTF game gives points for caps.

Give me a good reason this was changed. I mean, a good one.

Because, not only do you screw up the UI by mislabeling kills as points, but you discourage teamwork. Today my entire team scored higher than the other team, but we lost. Several times vice-versa. Why? Because everybody wants to be at the top of that god forsaken list. Simple flipping psychology.

*sigh*

The main attraction behind Soldat is CTF. Just fix it, somehow.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
Re: Caps and Points
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:56:58 pm »
I agree, I don't see the point in the change. Capping the flag should give you points. That is the point of CTF after all.

If anything, add the points but keep the x1 or x2 there so people can still see how many kills you got.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »
Aw but I suck at capping, I had always hated the people who had the better score because they could flagrun :(.  I see what you're saying though, perhaps it should show the score like it does in 1.5, but order it by total points, not by kills. I like the current display just because people can see "oh wow he has 50 kills and only 23 deaths" instead of "i THINK he has 50 kills, but its probably just 30 + a cap" :P

Yes like Chariot says :D
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:55 pm »
Survr sied opchun?

'Cuz really, I play Inf mostly, and using that same logic, people on Bravo team wouldn't care because it wasn't possible to be at the top of that list.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Fujifabric

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • richter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:09:41 am »
meh... i have to agree.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:00 am »
I thought that was just to add the challenge for the top of the list...

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:39:53 am »
I thought that was just to add the challenge for the top of the list...

... instead of helping your team win the game. Yeah, just hide out in a bush with a great k:d while your team is struggling to get game point. Nice job.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:53:28 am »
I still like it how it is now, in 1.5.
Caps and kills are distinct scores, giving caps an arbitrary number of "points" makes no sense.

I think your problem is that it is sorted by kills, whereas caps are more important. Possibly make flag-games sorted by default by flags?

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:37:26 am »
Yeah, deprioritising 'kills' compared to 'caps' may do the trick. I say we give it a shot. As for myself, I'm pretty satisfied with the current state. I've been waiting for a seperate kill/cap log ever since I started playing.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:48:50 am »
Yeah, I'd prefer a Halo 3 type score with MVP being most caps, but caps are 1 cap point, and kills are 1 kill point, two different scores.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 03:34:42 am »
I rekon they should of kept caps to add 20 points. It should add 20 points and that icon showing they capped. Would be more convenient.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:55:16 am »
I agree with some above posts in that although the separation is good, they should throw the guy with most caps to the top of the list.  As the OP said, it's all psychology.  If anyone wants to be the 'top' player, they realise they have to get caps for it.  But still the separation is nice.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:19:13 am »
I prefer to see the separation, easier to keep track of my own personal kills and flag caps.

Plus, I don't understand why the implementation for kills and caps to be separated is only available in INF, but not in CTF.

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:05:29 am »
If you want to fix the system, but keep the points seperate, make it so that the scores are sorted by caps first. So if a guy has a cap, hes at the top of the list, if there are 2 with a cap each, the guy with the most kills is at the top. Everyone else without a cap would be ranked by kills below the guys with caps.

I like the seperation, but the person at the top of the list should be the guy that helps out his team the most.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:09:01 am by The Epic Guy »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:53:54 am »
I still think there should be a flag cap column, a kill column and a points column. Makes life easier for us all.

Offline Shadow_Knight

• Major
  • ingame a.k.a Hitokiri Batoussai.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:29 pm »
I agree with gnoblar, there should be those 3 columns (CAP/KILL/TTLPOINTS) and, caps as well as kills, should give only 1 point to the player. It would be more interesting like this, and a lot more fair to players.

Have you epicly failed today?

Offline Therier

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 12:42:46 pm »
What it does matter? Now you can see easier who makes most kills. And if someone have brains at all they can see theyself who is good player and who is not. You don't have to pointwhore to let everyone know that you have skills.

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 03:17:42 pm »
What it does matter? Now you can see easier who makes most kills. And if someone have brains at all they can see theyself who is good player and who is not. You don't have to pointwhore to let everyone know that you have skills.

Thats not the point. When everyone wants to be 1st place they go for what gives them the most points. When caps gave you 20 points each, there was a reason to go and cap, for yourself and for the team. Now that caps dont give you points, players start playing CTF as if it was team deathmatch, and they are completely missing the point of CTF.

I like how the current system seperates caps from kills but the scoreboard should be ranked by caps first.

Flags not frags.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
Simple solution:  play in CW if you want teamwork in ctf.  The chances of public server players actually working together is like throwing a rock off a boat and missing the water.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »
Instead of that, we can put players on the top of the scoring list if they capped. Ex:

Me:50 kills 1 cap
Elephant: 35 kills 3 caps
A random player: 23 kills 5 caps

Then the rank would be:

1. A random player
2. Elephant
3. Tehsnipah

How about it?
It depends on the capture points rather than overall point.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"