Author Topic: Hormone - Stupid or Revolutionary  (Read 1837 times)

Offline HeavyMetal.Penguin91

• Major(1)
Hormone - Stupid or Revolutionary
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:36:45 am »
Well Soldat 1.5 is out with the first default map to have a new way of placing flags - ctf_hormone. The Alpha spawns are placed over the Beta flag and vice-a-versa so it becomes a fight to bring back the flag - for the human players. Its a logical nightmare to waypoint this model of ctf because bots follow enemys wps to return the flag. So the wps in ctf_Hormone don't work.

So whats your opinion on ctf_Hormone - stupid or revolutionary?
(">

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
Re: Hormone - Stupid or Revolutionary
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:52:16 am »
I already know that Hormone is pretty much unique, though sometimes it feels like it's depending on luck.. but it's really funny if you know how to play it.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:56:19 am »
This is called *Reverse CTF*... waypoints don't work... but that's just bot stupidity... However i don't like Hormone for some other reasons

Offline SniperTheKiller

• Major
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:00:32 am »
Like: norm mode yes, in realistic no.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:26:11 am »
It's fun, and no need to defend the base ;P Really I prefer this to maps where bases are separated by shoot-through, don't-walk-through beams and all is about tossing the flag. These maps suck.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:58 am »
While was creating it with Kouleman, I thought it's new thing setting reversed flags. But yah it seemed that it's not new thing, I guess there are made several (or dozens) reversed maps before it. It was supposed to be only at #soldat.gather custom, that's why it's looking fast build and cheap. Still I'm not sure if it's fitting default or not, but luckily it's not my call.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 03:29:47 am »
actually wypts do work somewhat in hormone problem is that most of the time the flagcarrier will walk alone and its not so likely he will cap as the other bots will camp in base while their flagcarrier also walks alone.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Kouleman

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:38:01 am »
Well hormone is realy unique map at the default maps. But I don't think it starts revolutionary. Because reverse ctf is hard to get fine working maps. At our currently point of view hormone is kinda alone there (sure there is some other reverse ctf maps too but they work more or less fine...) Hopefully people get inspiration to make new reverse maps from hormone. Maybe someone else is able to find new working reverse ctf maps.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:47:30 am »
I will give you tip on how to play it.
One get the flag and just avoid the others, and rush to cap. the other 2 must be more defensive and only focus on killing the efc. the reason they must be defensive is that the EFC will rush right through them if they don't watch out.
FFC is not supposed to kill so mush, just get to their base and wait for the return.

Why complain about the map? it's totally good.

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:46 am »
another tip is to not always return the flag as soon as you have killed the efc its might be tactical to time the return when ffc is at flag place for cap.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:53:16 am »
Online: Cool map, looks like in old days were I didnt play :)

Offline: Poor and stupid, there was never a map in any version of Soldat that was not playable offline without disadvantages. Making Hormone default is a big - for 1.5 in my opinion. For guys that never play online, and there are some dudes (including me for about 3 months at my beginning at Soldat at 1.3). So far: you need skilled and intelligent players for playing the map, it is kinda annoying to see buddies run away from EFC and flag is in base ... :-[ Yes it is funny!

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »
I will give you tip on how to play it.
One get the flag and just avoid the others, and rush to cap. the other 2 must be more defensive and only focus on killing the efc. the reason they must be defensive is that the EFC will rush right through them if they don't watch out.
FFC is not supposed to kill so mush, just get to their base and wait for the return.

Why complain about the map? it's totally good.
another tip is to not always return the flag as soon as you have killed the efc its might be tactical to time the return when ffc is at flag place for cap.

Well... might work on private servers, cw's or gathers but hell... on publics that map really annoys me. No matter what, you always got the guys on your side who do it wrong, who just don't seem to be able to def properly and return the flag... also in general, also on private servers, I really hate unconventional maps such as reversed ctf, for exactly the same reasons.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »
Yes, reversed is new to most players, that´s why I get angry seeing hormone getting voted ::)

Offline Kouleman

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 02:11:41 pm »
It is good that it is default map. It kinda force people to play together and learn team playing.... I understant that it is hard at public. and likely stupid. But it is not stupid because of the mapping style. It is stupid because players who play it doesn't understant how to play it :> (I think this will improve the quality of soldat players team skills at future)

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 03:14:31 pm »
I am not sure whether FORCING players to teamplay actually makes them better at teamplay. People on pubs just don't teamplay. Your idea is like (sorry, I don't mean to be offensive here) putting 10 homosexuals into a cell and telling them not to "love" each other. It's against their nature. Same goes for Publics.

offtopic: ctf_X is incredibly hurting my eyes, too. It's one of those maps where you can say that spamming beats skills :(

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:46:28 pm »
I can imagine these maps isn't that much fun in public :P But the pro comunity needed them.
Just a comment: Even the ''pro'' players have problems understanding how to play Hormone [retard]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:49:10 pm by homerofgods »

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49:44 am »
I am not sure whether FORCING players to teamplay actually makes them better at teamplay. People on pubs just don't teamplay. Your idea is like (sorry, I don't mean to be offensive here) putting 10 homosexuals into a cell and telling them not to "love" each other. It's against their nature. Same goes for Publics.

offtopic: ctf_X is incredibly hurting my eyes, too. It's one of those maps where you can say that spamming beats skills :(

forcing teamplay has actually worked even at pubs for example at icebeam everyone seems to throw flag middle now even though they don't get the cap themselves. so they will adapt no doubt about that.

Offline Sir Jeremy

• Flagrunner
  • Eurolicous!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »
Actually ctf_Hormone isn't so bad once you get used to it.  When I first saw it and played it, I thought it was stupid, but then I got used to it, and now it's actually quite fun to play.  I love defending on it, and it's also a great map to get lots of kills 35-50 or so.  Just like ctf_Guardian, small but fast action packed play.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 05:29:29 am »
I love Hormone. It's so much fun. It's instant death with nade spamming, barretting, M79ing, MP-5ing. Love it. I wouldn't say revolutionary, but definitely not stupid. I love it.