Poll

Should double-capping be fixed?

Yes, remove it.
17 (45.9%)
No, leave it.
9 (24.3%)
Add it as a server setting.
7 (18.9%)
After round caps don't count on the scoreboard, but are still possible to do.
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Double capping in survival  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
Double capping in survival
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »
A commonly abused bug in R/S matches. It happens when a player from the surviving team has the flag and caps for 2 points in 1 round in the time between all enemy players being killed and all surviving players dying.

Should have been fixed ages ago.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: Double capping in survival
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:48:49 pm »
yep, it's pretty unfair, 2 points for 1 round

should be fixed, but you can use a cool script that prevents it for now: click
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 04:56:59 pm »
Personally, I think that if they're skilled/lucky enough to wipe the other team out and have a chance to cap the flag, they should. They earned it.

"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »
^ Indeed, who ever said its a bug anyway?

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:03:26 pm »
If they are "skilled/lucky" enough to kill the entire team, they deserve a point. That's how you get a point, by killing the other team or capturing the flag. Not both.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:38:32 pm »
Easy fix with some new/changed maps?
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:50:51 am »
I never considered it a bug personally. Like tehsnipah said, it has just always seemed to me that they earn double the points if they manage to fulfill both objectives in a single round.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:33:50 am »
Well earning double points in one round is difficult and it is well-deserved, but during the time I played R/S, like many other R/S players, it is seen as a lowly thing. Note that this is not a bug either.

However, it seems that scripting can solve this problem too.

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 06:37:44 am »
Most R/S servers only play default maps, except the euro ones. And almost nobody uses scripting in their servers.

Double capping isn't allowed in serious matches in R/S and I don't see how you guys get "skill" from "capping the flag when everyone is dead".

I'm curious, how many of you besides Mittsu play Survival mode regularly? It's like me giving my opinion on whether INF flag colors should be changed. It's not going to effect me.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:03:13 am »
Whaa? It isn't allowed? That's sort of dumb.

The "skill" from "capping the flag when everyone is dead" part, well, the teams will focus on killing the enemy flag carrier when they notice that their flag is gone. So it rather gives the flagger more pressure and more "gang bang" for the player.

If the player was able to survive those conditions and still able to capture, then they surely deserve to cap the flag after what the player has been going through the pressure/killings.

I play R/S also, and the fact that you can't double point is quite bothering me now. I mean now the capture point (20 point) isn't available now. It won't give them any k/d ratio boost, and it's just two points. You can catch up by wiping the enemy out twice or run and capture quick.

This "Serious R/S" rule should be changed. In my view, it is dumb to restrict getting extra point even if they earned it.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 07:20:39 am »
I play R/S also, and the fact that you can't double point is quite bothering me now. I mean now the capture point (20 point) isn't available now. It won't give them any k/d ratio boost, and it's just two points.
Yes, because K:D ratio is what matters the most in any competitive R/S match, naturally.

Double capping doesn't even necessarily involve any sort of skill (I'm too lazy to give an example, though!) and overall I don't see a proper reason for why it's even possible.

And if all fails, just make it an option in soldat.ini?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:23:06 am by Toumaz »

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 09:24:28 am »
Whaa? It isn't allowed? That's sort of dumb.

The "skill" from "capping the flag when everyone is dead" part, well, the teams will focus on killing the enemy flag carrier when they notice that their flag is gone. So it rather gives the flagger more pressure and more "gang bang" for the player.

If the player was able to survive those conditions and still able to capture, then they surely deserve to cap the flag after what the player has been going through the pressure/killings.

I play R/S also, and the fact that you can't double point is quite bothering me now. I mean now the capture point (20 point) isn't available now. It won't give them any k/d ratio boost, and it's just two points. You can catch up by wiping the enemy out twice or run and capture quick.

This "Serious R/S" rule should be changed. In my view, it is dumb to restrict getting extra point even if they earned it.

9999999 times out of 10000000 the person who double caps steals the flag from the dead FFC. Again, there is no skill in capping the flag when the entire opposing team is dead. It doesn't deserve a point. If anything deserves two points, it's capping to end a round, as opposed to after one. That requires talent and good teamwork. Fortunately it doesn't (or shouldn't) work that way.

I don't even care if it's still possible to cap after a round, as long as the points don't count towards the overall score.

I'm not arguing this to discourage capping the flag or anything. It is, after all, CTF. But gaining two points in 1 round is unfair and pointless. You should have to earn each one and not obtain them through lucky freebies or any stupid shit. You guys keep arguing that teams are entitled to extra points on the basis that double capping takes immense skill. I assure you, it doesn't. The sheer amount of times people do it in public servers should be evidence of that.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 01:15:51 am »
I would like to ask the maps in which all these occur most.

I'd safely say that a high number of these double caps happen in small maps like Ctf_Ash.

We have led the cattle to the water, but the cattle don't wish to drink, and we can't force the cattle to drink. In the same way, we have scripts, but if no one is willing to script or to implement them, then there is nothing that we can really do. Either scripts, or people follow the honor code on their own individual desire.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:20:13 am by STM1993 »

Offline Original

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 01:04:20 pm »
A lot of people have stated in here that if the team double caps then they "earned" it.

I on the other hand don't see much skill in it at all. Once the opposing team has died, you have 4 seconds to cap it. That time can be extended if someone /kill's. Basically the count down will restart, giving the FFC more time to run across the map to try and cap it. Depending on how many people try to extended the clock, it could be extremely simple to cap the flag(Even though I already find it fairly easy).

Two solutions:

Either get rid of double capping all together.
Or...
Shorten the amount of time the winning team has to live after round to about 1-2 seconds. That way the FFC would pretty much have to be near the flag area to cap. More skill would be involved.

This may be a little bit difficult to understand, but if you know R/s well enough then you'll know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:08:19 pm by Original »

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »
Yeah that's another good point and a reason why I believe it's a bug. The fact that your other teammates can do /kill after a round and give you all the time in the world to get 2 points is just rediculous. I know Enesce/MM are ignoring this since it has to do with Survival, but it needs to be fixed.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 08:44:56 pm »
That time can be extended if someone /kill's. Basically the count down will restart, giving the FFC more time to run across the map to try and cap it.
Then that is a good reason why this is a bug and should be fixed.

I'd F12 this time.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22:15 pm »
Yes I'd also like this to be fixed! Yea...should be good.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Shinobars

• Major
    • SoldatRS Forums
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:29:49 pm »
Almost everyone from the R/S Community would F12 this notion, I'm sure.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 06:31:04 am »
F11.

CTF =/= TDM.

</topic>

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 06:51:51 am »
F11.

CTF =/= TDM.

</topic>

That is not a valid argument against double capping alone. Nobody here is saying that normal capping should be prevented.