Poll

Should double-capping be fixed?

Yes, remove it.
17 (45.9%)
No, leave it.
9 (24.3%)
Add it as a server setting.
7 (18.9%)
After round caps don't count on the scoreboard, but are still possible to do.
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Double capping in survival  (Read 4255 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: Double capping in survival
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:43 am »
IMO there's not anything much to fix except to make the round end immediately after one of the teams is completely eliminated...Why wait 4\5\... seconds that can  be extended by /kill-ing?
Just make the round end the moment the last player of one of the teams is dead.
b&

Offline freestyler

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 07:58:51 am »
Or do an effect similiar to /pause, show F1 list and wait 3-5 seconds. Then start next round.

And this is scriptable too (without F1 menu part).

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 09:21:46 am »
TheGogelist must be the slowest person in the world... how exactly do you cap a regular cap at http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3387/ashrs.jpg ?

the point is to just /kill everyone as soon as 1 team has been killed, or making it only possible to score once in a round.

and those who ask for this are the more "serious" R/S players, not some random public server players. ofc it should be set after their will, not what normal mode players who occasionally plays  on a R/S server.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 05:42:14 pm »
Misunderstood
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:27:28 pm by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 06:12:09 pm »
The who?  Learn to type.

The point of the map is that you can't score.  If you can't understand the reason behind using a map like this to prevent capping, I can't help you.

Want to cap?  Use the original map.
Don't want people capping?  Use the updated map.  Takes seconds to download.

With different names, they can both be in the map list and called up as needed.

Not that hard kid.  Just one of the simple solutions offered in this topic that could solve this problem until it's fixed.

You still don't seem to understand (or if you do, then your post isn't relevant to this topic, and I'm wasting my time). There are two separate aspects of game play which must be simultaneously active:

1) It must be possible to capture the flag whilst members of the opposing team are still alive.
2) It must not be possible to capture the flag (or more accurately gain another point in the same round) after the opposing team is eliminated.

Your method of changing the map does not solve this problem. Preventing capping outright is not an option.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »
Must have misunderstood the problem then.  Been b***hed at for capping in both situations (other team alive or dead), so I had come to the conclusion that capping in general was the issue.  Part of the reason I haven't touched survival in a long time.

My bad.   [retard]

Still doesn't change my point here - there are easy fixes available until the problem is fixed.  If people don't want to use them, that's they're own problem.  Raising a point here is just what should be done, but keep making a strong point about it.  Useless bumps don't do much when the problem is already known about, which is why someone got warned.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:37:16 pm by The Geologist »

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:59 pm »
Must have misunderstood the problem then.  Been b***hed at for capping in both situations (other team alive or dead), so I had come to the conclusion that capping in general was the issue.  Part of the reason I haven't touched survival in a long time.

I'll let that slide...even though I explicitly stated that capping in round isn't a problem in my previous posts. You must have neglected to read them. NP!

Still doesn't change my point here - there are easy fixes available until the problem is fixed.

I'm not looking for a band-aid. As long as I know there WILL BE a permanent fix for this in future Soldat versions, I can live with it until that time.

Useless bumps don't do much when the problem is already known about, which is why someone got warned.

NSC replies to most other bug report threads when there is actually some bug that needs to be resolved. He hasn't (to my knowledge) said anything about the issue. How am I supposed to know it was already known? When did he say "Ok I see that there is a problem and I am going to fix it"? All I wanted was to know that it was/wasn't going to be fixed.

But whatever, it seems that you or someone has brought this to his attention and I thank you or someone for doing so.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:57 pm »
Yea.  That's what happens when I come back to a topic after viewing a moderator report, look at the offending post and the ones immediately around it, and don't re-read the entire topic.  Sorry 'bout that.

Anyhow, although it seems you already know, please know that he knows.  It's been known, but I'm guessing it took a back seat to more serious problems.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:36:22 pm by The Geologist »

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 07:30:31 pm »
Thanks, this can be locked.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
I do not (and am not going to) give comments on certain topics (such as this) because once I do, people will cling to whatever I state regarding this issue and the discussion will die with people just quoting me and saying "Well that's the final word, kthxbye". I want to see every last possible opinion on topics such as this. I will comment once I am certain what I am saying is set in concrete. Which might not be until the day 1.5.1 is released.

That is all, banana cake.

P.S: It was me that warned you.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 07:04:56 am »
What?! As the voting shows, it shows that it should be changed. Why?! That's so not fair!

Do you guys even know how hard it is to couble cap? It's rare to do it, unless you're in an official clan of the RS.

If you think of it that way, I personally refer this from basketball.
If the defense make a foul while offence tries to score and still scores. Then they get to still shoot free throws. It's similar to double capping, because my point is, it's very arduous.

Seriously, how many times do you see people making double cap per 5 minutes. Me? I don't play as much, but in 30 minutes, I've only seen two or three double caps. It's not that common unless you completely suck in RS. The maps are big, and you don't even know where players are, so if an enemy gets the flag, you're pretty much having a manhunt. Usually, players meet in the center and finishes them off, not many players are stupid enough to go to enemy base, where they can camp and double cap. In that time where they kill all the players in the center, they won't have time to go back to their base.

Please, leave the double capping alone. :(
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Shinobars

• Major
    • SoldatRS Forums
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »
Uhh... basketball isn't Soldat. And double capping isn't the result of any sort of "foul," so I don't see your point. o.o

Also, most of the maps R/Sers play on aren't large. The people talking in this thread come from the Default R/S Community, which plays on only default maps. Most popular among those maps are Ash, Nuubia, and DD2. Those are small maps, and people go all the different routes. Furthemore, if you're any good at R/S (except for Joe, who will never be in a clan but is awesome) you're most likely in a clan. It's not really hard to double cap if you're around people who know what they're doing, such as people in a clan.

Basically, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that double capping is hard. Hell, I did it four times in four rounds on Ash once! (It was a public server, in there we just play silly. I'd never double cap in a scrim/cw.) Definitely not difficult to do, and it's, as has been stated before, completely unfair to award a second point for very little work.

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 07:36:48 pm »
What?! As the voting shows, it shows that it should be changed. Why?! That's so not fair!

Do you guys even know how hard it is to couble cap? It's rare to do it, unless you're in an official clan of the RS.

If you think of it that way, I personally refer this from basketball.
If the defense make a foul while offence tries to score and still scores. Then they get to still shoot free throws. It's similar to double capping, because my point is, it's very arduous.

Seriously, how many times do you see people making double cap per 5 minutes. Me? I don't play as much, but in 30 minutes, I've only seen two or three double caps. It's not that common unless you completely suck in RS. The maps are big, and you don't even know where players are, so if an enemy gets the flag, you're pretty much having a manhunt. Usually, players meet in the center and finishes them off, not many players are stupid enough to go to enemy base, where they can camp and double cap. In that time where they kill all the players in the center, they won't have time to go back to their base.

Please, leave the double capping alone. :(

The way you go on and on about how it's so hard and you rarely see it happen only proves that either you are very bad at R/S and double capping and are playing with people who are just as bad OR you don't play R/S enough with experienced people.

And the fact that you can extend the time allowed to perform a double cap by performing a short command makes it all the more ridiculous to keep it in the game.
Vidi Vici Veni

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2009, 07:48:10 pm »
Then simply fix those kind of bugs, not removing the whole double capping.

It is true that I don't play R/S as much, but I can tell it's few bugs players can take advantage of. If those bugs are fixed, then are you going to reconsider removing the whole double capping option?
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Shinobars

• Major
    • SoldatRS Forums
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 12:42:01 pm »
Since double capping, which is viewed as a bug by most of those in R/S, is unfair according to our rules, I believe it'd be great for it to be removed. Or, as I voted, for it to be optionally removed. If a server wants it, leave it on. But for the majority of others who don't want it, turn it off!

Offline -S] Chevalier [I-

• Major(1)
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2009, 06:26:21 am »
I don't care about /kill increasing round length or any of that crap. The validity and ability for double capping is what this is about. I shall ignore any question towards the magnitude of double capping and instead focus directly on whether it should or should not be allowed.

I also do not care about the general R/S view on double capping. It's not allowed. The reasons for this are all that matters to me, and the ease of double capping and the static gameplay style which it enforces are why I disagree with it.
It's not. I outlined this is my other post. Clan-status has nothing to do with the ability to double cap.
Seriously, how many times do you see people making double cap per 5 minutes. Me? I don't play as much, but in 30 minutes, I've only seen two or three double caps.
In any given scrim or clan war, the chances are that people accidentally, even though it's against the rules, will either double cap once or twice or do a backflip/decently-placed jump to avoid such. It's really that easy, even when you don't try to.
It's not that common unless you completely suck in RS. The maps are big, and you don't even know where players are, so if an enemy gets the flag, you're pretty much having a manhunt. Usually, players meet in the center and finishes them off, not many players are stupid enough to go to enemy base, where they can camp and double cap. In that time where they kill all the players in the center, they won't have time to go back to their base.
1) Above, you said how it's rarer to double cap if you're not in an R/S clan. Therefore, how is it that people who suck at RS find it to be common? Do people in R/S clans suck at R/S? Do you even know much about R/S?
2) Ash is one of the most common maps picked. It is not a large map. Cobra, Snakebite, and other small-to-medium sized maps are often picked as well. You will not see Run or B2B suggested.
3) Generally, when it comes down to a 1v1, each player will steal their opponent's flag, within a few seconds. This does not take "camping" in the opponent's base--you just grab it and run to shelter, then slowly move across the map, trying to outdo your opponent. If double capping were allowed, both players would just return to their respective bases and camp, as killing their opponent would then result in a double cap and dying to their opponent would eliminate their foe's ability to double cap due to distance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:30:41 am by -S] Chevalier [I- »

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2009, 09:21:53 am »
Gosh this should've been changed when soldat came out.

Looks like the people don't care about the opinion of the REAL R/S players.

If you'd ask our community, then everyone would agree that it should be removed.
Whatever .. WHO CARES do we? it's R/S after all...

www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.