Author Topic: Pro Tips  (Read 13179 times)

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
Pro Tips
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:34:31 am »
Alright, to be honest I am not quite sure how many "esteemed newcomers" actually prefer to read the official forums than to just start the game and jump into the next match but I liked the idea so... why not?

So what is this about? Basically, just post your tips, tricks and information in this thread. Everything you think is worth mentioning to make a Major become someone you'd like to have in your team.

I'll just start...

Movement, always move! Don't just stand there, like a statue, and shoot when someone runs or jets past you. Your movement, no matter how crazy or unusual it is, makes it difficult for others to hit or kill you. The only downfall of movement is aiming. You will have to train a lot to optimize movement and aiming, and of course also aiming on moving opponents ;)

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Re: Pro Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:46:33 am »
Tip2)  Change Your Name to Something Other than Major.

Open soldat-> Hit OK->Player->Name (Chaaaaaange it) :P

Some servers have Major-kick scripts, which could be confusing and frustrating for a newcomer.  BEWARE.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Shadow_Knight

• Major
  • ingame a.k.a Hitokiri Batoussai.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:38:03 pm »
Use M79 only in private made up games or against bots, otherwise you'll most surely get kicked from the server.
After you master m79 switch to a more complex weapon.

(When i say master, i really say master, because i have a friend of mine who never, and i repeat, never misses.  ::))
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:40:01 pm by Shadow_Knight »

Have you epicly failed today?

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »
No matter how much tips you get, the best thing you can do is learn by experience, so my tip is to play rather than read this.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 01:37:43 pm »
No matter how much tips you get, the best thing you can do is learn by experience, so my tip is to play rather than read this.

Seconded.

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:42:13 pm »

True that but some advice won't hurt. And I am quite sure that many players actually won't get far without help from someone else and now be honest.. how often have you experienced that someone who asked for help in a match indeed was helped?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »
Play with good people.
Contact me for ANY questions,
Msn: pro@x.xx  (no trap)

I will help you alot if you want.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:12:28 pm by homerofgods »

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:43:12 pm »
when you join the soldat formus, be sure to read the rules.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 02:56:50 pm »

I also agree with this, but theres no harm done with some good advice.

Mastering the Bullet
Learn how each weapon's projectile moves. How fast does it go? Does it curve? What is its effective range? Utilize these properties for each weapon so you can shoot accurately and effectively. Fast bullets require less 'aiming ahead' than slower ones. Bullets that curve can help bypass defensive barriers and allow for more damage to be done. And of course shooting when most appropriate range-wise can dish out the most damage possible.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 03:00:45 pm »

Mastering the Bullet
Learn how each weapon's projectile moves. How fast does it go? Does it curve? What is its effective range? Utilize these properties for each weapon so you can shoot accurately and effectively. Fast bullets require less 'aiming ahead' than slower ones. Bullets that curve can help bypass defensive barriers and allow for more damage to be done. And of course shooting when most appropriate range-wise can dish out the most damage possible.

You learn all this by playing the game.

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »

Mastering the Bullet

You learn all this by playing the game.

You don't get it, do ya?

Very late edit xD Accidentially wrote something in between the quote-tags.. w/e.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:30:07 am by Pekay.jps »

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 04:34:39 pm »
Crouch (default: S) + Jump (default:W) to throw flag ;) something you can't exactly get from the manual eh? :P
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 04:55:18 pm »
A pro advice: change your signature size to 300 * 125 before a moderator starts whining about it.

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 04:56:55 pm »
^

when you join the soldat forums, be sure to read the rules.

sigh... should have made it more obvious.

PROTIP: shoot at him until he dies.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:59:23 pm by The Epic Guy »

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 05:10:45 pm »
tip: Master the nade, then you can pretty much handle all primaries.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »
Pekay.jps   my msn is: pro@x.xx  if you have ANY questions or anything.
I might help you alot, since I know almost everything about soldat.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:32:06 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 06:31:19 pm »
Tip: Don't go on about how good you are without proof.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 06:33:08 pm »
Tip: Don't go on about how good you are without proof.
that's not a tip, that's a personal opinion

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 06:46:52 pm »
TIP:  Grenades kill more when they contact with a player's legs
TIP:  Firing your weapon for extended periods without releasing the button will cause it to be inaccurate.  It's best to fire in bursts, not clips.
TIP:  Saw vs saw is ping-based, saw vs gun is just stupid :P

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 08:53:21 pm »
Movement, always move! Don't just stand there, like a statue, and shoot when someone runs or jets past you. Your movement, no matter how crazy or unusual it is, makes it difficult for others to hit or kill you. The only downfall of movement is aiming. You will have to train a lot to optimize movement and aiming, and of course also aiming on moving opponents ;)
Tip: The above is not always true depending on the situation. You may need to stop occasionally (eg: You cannot shoot unless you're on the ground and crouched with a LAW), and in Infiltration (INF), camping is an ideal strategy.

If you are using a Barrett or Ruger, you should not keep moving like mad, because of movement inaccuracy. Practice this technique: Jump, then DO NOT PRESS ANY MOVEMENT KEY OR JET, then you shoot. In this way, you're still moving due to gravity, but you won't be affected by movement inaccuracy.

Tip 2: Read this simplified weapons guide. It can help you if you are not very decided with your weapons despite having played a lot. I'm working on a more detailed one in future.