Author Topic: Pro Tips  (Read 13161 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: Pro Tips
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:07 am »
The accuracy/angle is probably slightly altered when you prone with a Barrett in mid-air, and the transition between standing and proning causes an initial inaccuracy which is a big problem and it takes some time. Plus, on a prone position in mid-air, it is generally easier to get hit and thus binked. Movement is extremely restricted when proning (in mid-air, you can only superman in prone position). It is therefore not advisable to prone while in mid-air, especially with a Barrett.

Even if there is no difference in accuracy in mid-air prone and in standing in mid-air, it is still ultimately not advisable to prone in mid-air.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 02:02:00 pm »
Let's get off the movement accuracy for a bit, there's too much disparity in opinion for it to be considered a "tip".  I also think newcomers will have their hands full with many other factors of soldat, before they are entirely worried about something so technical.

TIP:  If you are weak, and there are no medipacks in the base, throw the flag to a teammate that is stronger.  It is much better than jeopardizing the flag to find one.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:51 pm »
Yea, STM made my point a bit clearer, and I'd rather not argue about it right now.
Anyways, a couple of climbing tricks:
1-You can do the back flip, without having to do it on the beginning of your jump, on some servers you have to jump off a ledge, to a ledge close under it, and no platform to jump onto, what you do is you jump off, lightly, and keep the movement buttons up and whatever the side of the platform your back is facing, and once you're close enough you hit jet, you will do a normal back flip, just after a seconds fall or so.

And another thing, when you see ice terrain on any maps, know that you can slide, or (penguin slide) on them, just lay on the ground (prone), and crawl to the sides...Looks funny and is a good way of rushing into a camper\weak enemy unit.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:37:34 pm by demoniac93 »
b&

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:14 pm »
Proning in mid-air is the worst thing you could ever do if you are sniping someone.

Try to compensate the fall by jetting a bit until you are almost stopped in mid-air, then shot (without proning)  :)
Not really, it prevents from instant death by grenade, and it helps to avoid a little in mid air.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 03:31:09 pm »
Proning mid air also makes you more susceptible to them landing more headshots, so its kind of a tradeoff... Dont superman when their weapon kills w/ one headshot (except for rett + m79)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 04:02:31 pm »
-- platform your back is facing, and once you're close enough you hit jump, you will do a normal back flip, just after a seconds fall or so.

You hit the jet button, not the jump button.

And another thing, when you see ice terrain on any maps, know that you can slide, or (penguin slide) on them, just lay on the ground (prone), and crawl to the sides...Looks funny and is a good way of rushing into a camper\weak enemy unit.

Not always is this a good idea, it might even slow you down a lot.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 06:47:13 pm »
Seriously though, this is a tip topic.  Take your aiming debate elsewhere? >:(
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Jaakarhu

• Major(1)
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:57 pm »
Jump before you take off (W-> mouse2 tis is good stuff)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:01:15 pm by Jaakarhu »

Offline Banana-san

• Major(1)
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 10:21:44 pm »
as the video freak I am. I wouldn't mind making some teaching video (already done one for steyr, but for more advanced players).

but I'd like to know what level I should make it for, or if all levels. I'm not sure about who'd like some "pro" teaching.

Offline Ketchup

• Major(1)
  • "If I can see it, I can kill it."
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:57 pm »
ProTip: Don't scream and whine when you lag, or people are going to think you're a real drag.
"If I can see it, I can kill it."
-[DO] Lt. Ketchup =S=

Offline Shinobars

• Major
    • SoldatRS Forums
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58:43 pm »
Do your best to master the basics of the game. As with any other game, mastering the basics is a major key to being the best. Learn to use your nades, adjust to your own personal way of aiming, and play smart, fundamental Soldat. However, don't be afraid to go for the slam dunk that will make the crowd explode when you get the opportunity. It's also a bit like driving: when you're faced with a choice, make a decision and stick to it. If you're constantly changing your mind, you'll wind up being a bunch of wasted gostek space.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 12:34:05 am »
Tip:
To throw your flag, press UP and DOWN together. (default keys: W and S)
Use your cursor to aim at a general direction for where you want to throw the flag (this is hard to master)

Throwing a flag is used tactically. If you are low on health but have a stronger teammate, you can pass the flag to him.

Or in some recent (CTF) maps, there is a certain wall between both flags where you cannot pass through but bullets can. Once you capture the enemy flag, you can run to that wall and throw it across, so that your teammate can grab the flag you threw and score for the team. This is a lot faster, less risky and more convenient as compared to taking the old route you came from to go back to your base.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:39 am »
There was a topic somewhere a while ago, it's a powerthrow to like increase your throw distance by 3x.  I'm not sure if it's a bug or something, is it allowed?

Quote from: tehsnipah
Not really, it prevents from instant death by grenade, and it helps to avoid a little in mid air.

No, I found it actually increases the possibility of instant death by grenade.  Two ways:

1) They throw one under you, and you're running short of jet and close to the ground.  If you land on it, you'll die.  From there, you have a few options.  You can use your remaining jet while proning to see if you can dive past the nade, and you'll find yourself on the ground unable to move unless you unprone again, but you'll be dead by then.  You can unprone and hold jet, but then if you're too close to the ground you're doomed anyway.

2) They're under you.  There's the ongoing saying that nades kill at the feet and legs... well if you're spreading your legs out, then they got like half your bodylength to aim for... usually an instant kill at this angle.

The only time I think using prone is appropriate is when you're versing an enemy sniper or a knifer, and you predict the moment they shoot, and try to zoom under it.  Even then that gets predictable, and should only be used when you're reloading the shot yourself.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 03:45:01 am »
Back to tips: Find out whether you like Realistc or Standard mode the best.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:11 am »
-- platform your back is facing, and once you're close enough you hit jump, you will do a normal back flip, just after a seconds fall or so.

You hit the jet button, not the jump button.

Edited. Soz.

Not always is this a good idea, it might even slow you down a lot.

Not if the terrain is proper for sliding, and you've tried it before.
b&

Offline Ketchup

• Major(1)
  • "If I can see it, I can kill it."
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:24 am »
Do your best to master the basics of the game. As with any other game, mastering the basics is a major key to being the best. Learn to use your nades, adjust to your own personal way of aiming, and play smart, fundamental Soldat. However, don't be afraid to go for the slam dunk that will make the crowd explode when you get the opportunity. It's also a bit like driving: when you're faced with a choice, make a decision and stick to it. If you're constantly changing your mind, you'll wind up being a bunch of wasted gostek space.

Seconded

Stupid Tip: Don't TK or people will hate you forever. It's a way to screw up your reputation. It may actually come down to you having to change your name.
"If I can see it, I can kill it."
-[DO] Lt. Ketchup =S=

Offline TradeMAAK

• Soldier
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 07:02:10 pm »
Play this game for fun and don't be one of those no life nerds that try to become a "master" of one weapon or anything. This game doesn't deserve to sacrifice your dignity for it.

Don't TK or people will hate you forever. It's a way to screw up your reputation. It may actually come down to you having to change your name.
Name change ftw.
destroy

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »
Ahh, another Barrett tip:

When you're using Barrett in pubs, remember, you're not a Rambo with a heavy machine gun.

1)It's better to move around to the spot where there aren't that many enemies around, then you have a favorable spot to scope. One of the example is ctf_Run. The middle path doesn't have that many players for some reason. It's a favorable position for snipers in my view; you can scope ahead of you and over you. It's a double plus good for you.

My point is, try to have a spot that has multiple hit spots and coverable, then you'll have more kills and safety.

2)Although it might be nice to stick around with your team mates and move around, it might not be that much of a help for you and your team unless you have an alternative weapon that's one of the Primary weapon. Since it's a group fight, shots spread everywhere and can be able to bink your shot.

It's good to stay back and scope to help your team out than sticking together to prepare for a mob war.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2009, 03:03:47 am »
Play the angles on polygons, be patient. A lot of campers will waste a shot if you taunt them a bit.
[fist] Black Powa

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2009, 04:57:46 am »
Play the angles on polygons, be patient. A lot of campers will waste a shot if you taunt them a bit.

Especially bad ones.