Author Topic: Pro Tips  (Read 13357 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: Pro Tips
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2009, 02:06:11 pm »
TrademAAk you're an ass for what you said, it's true after all, idiots confess...
This thread is dedicated to helping newbies and not ruining their soldat experience, if you're glad and happy that you're a loser troll (Not an offense, a fact) then don't think other people will enjoy being kicked for TK'ing and other childish crap.
So please, either delete your post and stop giving this kind of opinions, keep them to yourself.
Or please, can any admin delete that? (I'll delete this post the moment any admin helps out or the "Noob" guide is deleted)
b&

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »
I can think of two things, things I always say when asked about this.
1) Learn the backflip. Then love it.
2) Play multiple game modes. Learning the backflip at climbs, various weapons on different servers (knife on dddgeball for example), attacking or defending at Inf, general killing at DM's, etc. all make you much better at any one game mode on its own.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline TradeMAAK

• Soldier
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »
TrademAAk you're an ass for what you said, it's true after all, idiots confess...
This thread is dedicated to helping newbies and not ruining their soldat experience, if you're glad and happy that you're a loser troll (Not an offense, a fact) then don't think other people will enjoy being kicked for TK'ing and other childish crap.
So please, either delete your post and stop giving this kind of opinions, keep them to yourself.
Or please, can any admin delete that? (I'll delete this post the moment any admin helps out or the "Noob" guide is deleted)
QQ more. You presume that all players enjoy the game the same way as you.
Just wanted to help out fellow griefers that's all.
destroy

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2009, 05:46:59 pm »
QQ more. You presume that all players enjoy the game the same way as you.
Just wanted to help out fellow griefers that's all.

This thread is to help noobs, not create them TrademAAk ;)
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2009, 03:59:04 am »
TradeMAAK gave me some serious lolz, and in some cases he even had a slight of a point!

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2009, 06:09:56 am »
Gotta admit they're pretty clever.  But yeah if you do it you're on the path to having an extremely screwed reputation.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2009, 11:59:03 pm »
If you're using AK or minimi, pretend it's a semi-auto. Click off each shot rather than holding down to spray.
!@#$%

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2009, 01:48:02 am »
If you're using AK or minimi, pretend it's a semi-auto. Click off each shot rather than holding down to spray.
That is a correct method for the AK, but wrong for the FN Minimi. That'd be even more inaccurate, you should fire continuously. Why?

1) Bink overrides movementacc, this is a proven fact.
2) Minimi has low self-bink and high movementacc - the movementacc makes the gun much more inaccurate than the self-bink.
3) Therefore, when using the Minimi, if you can concentrate your fire on your enemy, always hold down the shoot button to fire automatically for greater accuracy. The initial 4 shots will be inaccurate by movementacc, but subsequent shots are affected by bink rather than movementacc. Since the inaccuracy caused by the self-bink is much lower than the movementacc even after firing a rather large number of shots, you are actually firing more accurately than if you had fired by tapping or short bursts.
4) However, that also doesn't mean that you can just hold down the shoot button forever. Self-bink will still build up and if it reaches a certain level, it'd be inaccurate too. It is therefore recommended that after firing about 10-15 bullets (that's a LONG burst), you stop, and repeat the cycle again.

If you argue that the method I speak of now doesn't work in older versions and that tapping is still the way, that was in older versions. Comparing the new Minimi and old Minimi, the general accuracy stats are:

Old Minimi:
Bink: -49
Movementacc: 2

New Minimi:
Bink: between -7 to -12
Movementacc: 3 or 4

(as of 1.5.0, the Minimi has -7 bink and movementacc 3)
That is why the tapping method works in older versions but not in newer versions, while firing continuously was stupid in older versions but works a lot better right now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:59:24 am by STM1993 »

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2009, 06:11:44 am »
Even with AK, it gets tiring, bursting makes you just as straight really.
If you try and tap with minimi, there's STM's point and also the fact that you'll get RSI.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2009, 06:53:27 am »

STM made it clear that the minimi has a couple of inaccurate shots when beginning to fire with it. The first 3 shots go either way downwards or way upwards. So it's advised to keep it own at least till your enemy is dead, or you're safe to reload\refill health\etc...

But it's kinda beginning to ruin the whole point of controlling your autos. The burst mode necessity for better aim was an awesome way of doing it, need more precision in acting. Now when firing very long bursts or simply finishing the whole clip at once (By making it more accurate for some weps than bursts) just ruined the whole point of that :(

If 1.6 (Should it ever come out) is going to be another fall downwards for soldat then be sure that I'll leave soldat for good. :/
b&

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2009, 08:30:31 am »
Even with AK, it gets tiring, bursting makes you just as straight really.
I personally use bursts too, mostly a 2-3 shot burst, but sometimes more in some situations. The self-bink and movementacc for the AK is really negligible.

But it's kinda beginning to ruin the whole point of controlling your autos. The burst mode necessity for better aim was an awesome way of doing it, need more precision in acting. Now when firing very long bursts or simply finishing the whole clip at once (By making it more accurate for some weps than bursts) just ruined the whole point of that :(
Actually, it's a whole lot better for the game - specially for the Minimi.

The Minimi is arguably the most powerful auto compared to the other autos. 8 shots to kill, a very high bullet speed (270) and a fireinterval of 9 (that's rather slow if you miss a lot, but rather fast if you hit every shot) - that is a very high DOT. Then it has the large 50 ammo clip, so it is capable of killing a lot of opponents in one clip. Only weakness - long reload, but that doesn't really matter. If the Minimi were accurate, it'd be a super AK with the only weakness of having a long reload - a true machine gun.

There IS control. All autos require concentrated fire. While all the other autos are generally accurate in the first few shots (Aug's first bullet is slightly off-angle but good users can make sure even that shot is hits) but becomes very inaccurate upon firing too much, the Minimi is the reverse (until too many shots are fired as well, because the self-bink value would have raised too much). Therefore the difference is that, you now have to wait a while before you can have full control instead of having full control at the beginning - this balances the Minimi in terms of accuracy. This also means that the other autos are good for short encounters, while the Minimi is better for longer engagements and over a longer range. It also ensures that the Minimi is not too powerful for offense by making it waste more ammo and have less DOT whilst moving but still a deadly force of defense when holding choke points.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:35:00 am by STM1993 »

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:36 pm »
That is a correct method for the AK, but wrong for the FN Minimi. That'd be even more inaccurate, you should fire continuously. Why?

I should have clarified that I'm not talking about bink, but recoil.
"You know you play Trenchwars too much when you assume that new players would play Trenchwars..."
!@#$%

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2009, 06:10:37 pm »
Or you can just try to be more like me. :D

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2009, 06:11:42 pm »
bad idea... don't click every god damn bullet... I highly doubt you can click fast enough to not lose any fire speed.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2009, 02:44:56 am »
Or you can just try to be more like me. :D

This is why newbs always have difficulty learning when they learn from other players...
Anyways, ctf tip: Never go back unless you HAVE to trap an enemy flagger or simply protect your flagger. Always move forwards.
b&

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:48 am »
I should have clarified that I'm not talking about bink, but recoil.
You should have mentioned that you were talking about the Realistic balance... it'd be assumed to be Normal balance around here if nothing is said =.=

Anyway, the Minimi in realistic follows a similar stat to the old Normal Minimi, so tap-shooting would work in that case when controlling recoil. However, the Minimi's recoil is not that bad if you know where to point your cursor, it's the self-bink in Realistic you'd really have to worry about (yes, Realistic has BOTH bink and recoil), so I recommend that users should just fire in a short bursts of 2-3 instead of tap-shooting every single shot. This way, recoil would still be kept at the minimum, prevents inaccuracy by self-bink, and the firing rate is still relatively fast.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:36:13 am by STM1993 »

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2009, 08:44:22 am »
Was just jokin anyway im shocked no one bit.. guess this community has gotten smarter.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:54 pm »
don't let STM's raw math power deceive you.

also, playing with a low mouse sensitivity and keeping the crosshair always around the enemy (not under or over aiming) is probably the best advice. And mastering grenades, because those are the only things that aren't going to change much in any version, and it's the shit which gets you the most kills anyway.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »
don't let STM's raw math power deceive you.
If you knew me in my school, you'd take that back =P

Anyway, another tip:
Don't just read guides/advice, follow them and do it! If it doesn't work for you, then use what you personally find to be the most effective, or keep practicing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:41:31 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Murska

• Major(1)
  • I'll tell you what's personal!
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:59 pm »
9. Saw is for show-offs, knife if for support only. They may be useful in normal mode where eating is not a bug - it's a game concept. In realistic mode they are almost useless. Remember! Don't underestimate socom!

Socom is good, yes, but Knife is also a very! powerful weapon when mastered. The arc can let you use it like a re-usable grenade, throwing it at slopes and positions enemies often are in. Remember, with bullets aswell as nades and items, that if you're shooting from directly above or below at something moving horizontally, you have a much smaller window of hitting than if you're shooting from the front or the back. With knife, since it's a kill wherever you hit if you hit, it's even more important.

With knife, you GOT to be very aware of colliders. Hide behind them as enemies approach, dodge their nades by jumping away just as they throw them, very few people can throw a nade accurately while shooting at the same time. Force the enemy to waste his shots and tempt him into coming too close, then pop out and throw your knife at him. This works especially well in RSA where you have a lot of time and only one life per person, along with suitable maps for it.

With knife, you HAVE to hit. If you miss your throw against someone with a gun, you're pretty much dead. Don't try to get your knife back if you see it's a sure death, but instead attempt to lure him away to pick it up later or just run away and hope to come across another weapon. Punching the enemy from behind while he's law-camping is also always fun. :)

So, with the above-mentioned, do not try to throw unless you know you can hit. Throwing a knife from far away will almost always miss and it'll leave you with, well, no knife, which is bad.

If you're using knife as a support, with another gun, use it either with barret for close range defense, a sawer/spaser deterrant or a backup weapon for reloading. However much it pains me to admit it, if you're using an automatic with a fast reload, you're probably better off with LAW.
When you're in the bottom of a deep rocky pit, and you think you can't get any lower, god hands you a shovel.