Author Topic: Foundation - Stabilizing Commencing  (Read 7653 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: Foundation (feedback = great)
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 04:32:01 pm »
have to disagree with those above me the more routes and possible ways to attack the more hectic it gets for bravo as they can't just camp off all routes. which imho turns it into a funner game. SuoWarrior did a map called inf_Camper(unreleased) with nice flag throwing options etc only thing wrong it was mainly one attacking route meaning as an attacker you had to smash your head against the wall time and time again to try and get the flag(not so fun). so haveing multiple ways of attacking keeps the defender at his edge, resulting in a funnier map to play.

But with too many routes comes ease for the attacking sides, these things especially emerge on inf maps.
b&

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 02:11:35 am »
have to disagree with those above me the more routes and possible ways to attack the more hectic it gets for bravo as they can't just camp off all routes. which imho turns it into a funner game. SuoWarrior did a map called inf_Camper(unreleased) with nice flag throwing options etc only thing wrong it was mainly one attacking route meaning as an attacker you had to smash your head against the wall time and time again to try and get the flag(not so fun). so haveing multiple ways of attacking keeps the defender at his edge, resulting in a funnier map to play.

But with too many routes comes ease for the attacking sides, these things especially emerge on inf maps.

well thats what playtesting is for. inf maps you need to playtest a lot(switching teams etc) just to see how the balance is. make some alteration playtest again and again until you get it right.
For example belltower we played 15-20 times with different kind of layouts until it was balanced.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 02:41:57 am »

well thats what playtesting is for. inf maps you need to playtest a lot(switching teams etc) just to see how the balance is. make some alteration playtest again and again until you get it right.
For example belltower we played 15-20 times with different kind of layouts until it was balanced.

Well I'll gladly be a map tester since I need something to keep me busy anyways. Just that the mapping.inf server asked for a password. Do I have to join the irc channel for the password or what?
b&

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 03:21:25 am »

Well I'll gladly be a map tester since I need something to keep me busy anyways. Just that the mapping.inf server asked for a password. Do I have to join the irc channel for the password or what?

well #soldat.mapping works just like #soldat.gather #sna.gather and such. so in short yes.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 06:08:18 am »

well #soldat.mapping works just like #soldat.gather #sna.gather and such. so in short yes.

Does it take the regular Auth command?
b&

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 06:31:25 am »

no auth required

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 05:24:24 pm »

no auth required

Rawrs unnecessary quote train!

but uh, have any complains about the new tunnel? From what I take it, it sounds good to go; so I'll keep going as planned. Thanks for the responses; they're wonderfully inspiring.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:26:08 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Test version 6
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 11:28:33 pm »
My questions to you are included on the screenshot.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: Foundation test version 6
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 03:16:59 am »
You should change the topic name. Cause what you did there isn't inf_Foundation anymore...
b&

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 03:35:39 am »
Should I make grassy hill longer? no.
Do you like this bunker or old tower more? doesn't matter bravo won't hold their defence that far out anyways.
Is this tunnel a good thing? yes makes it easier to attack but its still easy to defend(just nade).
this extra tunnel..? yes gives a a chance to alpha when under nade attack.
should I remove the 3rd window? no already got a top route will give the alpha flag runner a bit of a headstart which is good.
Maybe a tunnel here? yes still easy to defend(nadeable) but gives more options when attacking.
Is this flag position good? yep it works

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 07:56:00 pm »
Yay, thank you! I love the response!

You should change the topic name. Cause what you did there isn't inf_Foundation anymore...

Go away, or give me a reason for your sentiments.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 10:47:09 am »

Ugh...You simply tampered the most balanced inf map there is out there...That's the reason.
b&

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 11:15:27 am »

Ugh...You simply tampered the most balanced inf map there is out there...That's the reason.

Balanced? when we played it at #soldat.mapping alpha in 6 games didn't manage one single cap and we switched teams mixed teams etc.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 11:52:58 am »

Balanced? when we played it at #soldat.mapping alpha in 6 games didn't manage one single cap and we switched teams mixed teams etc.

When I played\play it with my mates on IBI (Internal bleeding) and the graveyard and other servs we had bravo winning more than alpha on regular days, and when alpha had a good team they would have 2-3 wins on it in a row.
b&

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 08:00:08 pm »
The lower route has some lame barrett camping potential. (Just like some other inf maps)
Don't know if inf maps are supposed to be that way.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 07:30:13 am »
That kinda flag place you got there atm is painy. Smoothing would do good.

Suggestions:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2prsrk8.png

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Foundation test version 9
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 07:39:20 pm »
Thanks. Suggestions taken into account. Screenshots updated.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Re: Foundation test version 9
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 08:26:56 pm »
Looking good now, waiting for playtest.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Foundation - final test
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 11:06:15 pm »
Foundation - final test #10

Scenery is still not complete. Otherwise the layout is (basically) finished. Check out the first post for the download, update description and screenshots.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Stabilizing Commencing
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 11:16:07 pm »