Author Topic: moderators too strict  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
Re: moderators too strict
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 06:40:09 am »
The moderators are great. You want to be an ass? Well we don't, so please leave. I think it's great. It's good to have a good silly feet every once in a while, but mature conversations actually get places and you get some good thoughts and opinions. I think they're fine, I give them props.

"You wanna be a big cop in a small town? f**k off up the model village." - Hot Fuzz

EDIT: Twistkill owned this thread. I think it's time for the banhammer of justice to rain down on silly people like m00 and panzer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:46:24 am by Gnoblar »

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 06:59:27 am »
Actually I tend to agree to an extend with this. The problem, as I see it, is that there's also some serious topics being posted every once in a while here, and those are more important than the crappy rediculous ones all together. In order to make sure they aren't spammed up, you have to be equally strict with the rest fo them as well. I myself am trying not to be too strict, though I'll admit I have my ban-them-all moments from time to time.

Lately I've been hammeirng down hard on people who spammed up serious topics, while I've been a little less ironfistish with the rest of them. How be your thoughts on that, mateys?
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:28 am »
My thoughts are you are doing well echo. I give you pancakes.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 07:15:33 am »
Moderators are not strict, it's you who is too childish.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 07:19:10 am »
I actually like it when a moderator locks a thread via pointing out how lame it is. It's hilarious.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2009, 07:00:52 am »
I'd love to get the Bash pit back. Back then I didn't understand the purpose but nowadays I sure do huh!

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 08:32:12 am »
Moderators are too strict. He's absolutely right, we can't do anything here. I've been watched for some ridiculous things over and over again. One of the reasons was "Insulting another forumer's gift to another". "being an absolute jerk" I mean come on...let's have fun on this forum once in a while.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:28 am »
Says the soccer fan...

I'd love to get the Bash pit back. Back then I didn't understand the purpose but nowadays I sure do huh!

Bashpits are lame.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:35:56 pm by Gnoblar »

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 09:05:40 am »
Says the soccer fan...

Bashpits are laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame...

Let it be noted that you annoy me greatly, because all I see you doing is agreeing with the moderators / trying to be the back seat sheriff.

Also, too strict? Bwuhahaha.

Right.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2009, 11:17:13 am »
too strict with the insignificant crap and too lenient when it comes to BANNING THE FAGGOTS (im not actively moderating in this forums btw)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 11:48:18 am »
M00, I wish I had known you before, but still, you shouldn't generalize all of them as being strict like fu**...Some of them even explain themselves (via pm and the likes) to people.
Demonic :)
For an example, has been the moderator so far to explain to me why I got a warning, and answer my stupid questions in a polite manner.
However, receiving warnings for reasons like "General blowheadedness"?!
"Back seat moderating"---What is that?
"Being an idiot" ....At least use some sore of "gentler" language!
Will you?!
b&

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »
Well, you are the mods, you decide what kind of people can post here. If you leave them continue posting then it's your fault, i guess.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
Well, you are the mods, you decide what kind of people can post here. If you leave them continue posting then it's your fault, i guess.

Funniest shit I've heard all day.  Do you realize the paradox contained within your statement?

Oh, it's our fault for letting people continue to post on the forums.  But when we take action, what do we get?  Topics like this.  Heh.

Grow up people.  There's a page of rules.  Always has been, always will be.  Read 'em, learn 'em, love 'em, but don't expect to act in total disregard for them. 

As a mod/admin, I've let plenty of warnable stuff slide.  It's always a judgment call, and not everything that gets reported or catches out eye gets acted on.  Why?  Because we're not (total) fascists. 

Notable people who have caught a break for otherwise warnable actions include many of the people who are complaining about mods being too strict in this topic.  And that's a shame.

You see, when you don't get warned for being a complete asshat, there's a fair chance someone took a look at your actions and decided to let it slide.  But because some people on here oftentimes fail to hold themselves to any sort of standard and resort to being total boobs at the drop of a hat - we are forced to take action. 

Long story short - you know we pay attention to you, why not pay some attention to your own actions when you get warned/banned?  Instead of sulking about things and saying the mods are too strict, man up and learn a lesson.  And while you're at it, be thankful for this brief interim of ban hammerings after three strikes.

The new warning system was meant to allow more appropriate warning levels for minor crap.  But due to people failing to pay attention to this and receiving many warnings for the same infringement with effectively no negative consequences, we had to step up the bar a bit.

And that's how it currently stands.  So when you get warned for swearing/avoiding filters - stop doing it!  Warned for backseat modding?  It means you managed to look like a jerk telling other forum members what the should/can/cannot do.  That's our job, not yours.

And we do that job - at the risk of going too far, getting bitched at, slandered, and other various forms of backlash.  Rest assured that the state of the forums and what should be done to make sure everyone gets along like peaches and cream with the minimum amount of frustration is never too far from our discussion.

Do not confuse this with the ineptitude to not take action when action is needed.

Good day.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:28 pm »
I can't believe I'm stroking moo's ePenis by posting in this.

I have to say I like the mods about how they are. This forum is mostly laid back but doesn't stupid trolls and idiots that make a forum worse, not better. If you want a place where you can post crap and be "funny" go to 4chan.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2009, 06:21:15 pm »
Mods are too stricks? Com'on they cant hurt a fly,not talking about being strict ^^
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2009, 08:56:33 pm »
They aren't but they should be, considering all clown performances, net-"hatred" and pathetic intrigue nets that swarm the forums. If it wasn't for your useless strive to be unique and funny on a FORUM, by promoting orkish trends and magnetizing hatred from people, who don't really know what it is to hate... Then maybe you wouldn't blame peeps for the screamy topics or the mods for warning and banning in a poetic way, even.
Still, you feel powerless when a mod locks a topic, silencing everybody with sharp poetic sarcasm. Then they get all the ovations... and you can't get at them because of their position.

Also, there are the peaceful folks who spread butterflies and make compliments to mods, so they can gather higher rating and later on, use their beloved persona and become one of them irritating egobitches, telling people how stuff works like they own the forums.

To sum up... no fun without orks... no fun with orks... Nobody wins, eh.
Keep it as it is, and don't knit intrigues from which irritated people (like myself)
will respond and then you'll go egowhining about it.

That's to all itchy zits. I take full responsibility for my words.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:00:07 pm by Mitak »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2009, 04:30:41 am »
M00, I wish I had known you before, but still, you shouldn't generalize all of them as being strict like fu**...Some of them even explain themselves (via pm and the likes) to people.
Demonic :)
For an example, has been the only moderator so far to explain to me why I got a warning, and answer my stupid questions in a polite manner.
However, receiving warnings for reasons like "General blowheadedness"?!
"Back seat moderating"---What is that?
"Being an idiot" ....At least use some sore of "gentler" language!
Will you?!
b&

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2009, 04:58:11 am »
To be fair, back in the day I used to send friendly warnings to people - telling them that they're going on a wrong road. Other times people will kept at a high warning level to have pressure on them. It was tedious task, and more of an active care taking of the members rather than just doing staff-rolls. It required attention, but it had good results. People improved up to the point where I actually liked them.

As of late though, with the members getting younger and younger, I've less and less patience for that. There's just no way in hell that any of us from the staff can hold your hand while you hit a higher level of maturity - so we stick to slapping warnings around like no tomorrow.

And as Geo put - when we do warn, that's usually not due to the mod being extra grumpy, but that you had way too many shit slide already.

As for gentler language... come on. This is a forum for a video game where you can mow down people with a chainsaw. Fuck me.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2009, 05:18:24 am »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:21:05 am by Laser Guy »
Text goes here...

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2009, 08:28:12 am »
Fuck me.
Just bend over [pigtail]
Aaaand he scores!

Personally, I think some are generous (like jrgp) and some are a teeeeny bit harsh (Demonic, but he's really funny)
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"