Poll

Which do you prefer? (Options end of post)

1 - Full Version
2 - Right Side Only
3 - Right Side Reorganized
4 - Minimal Version

Author Topic: More convenient way of voting  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
More convenient way of voting
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:14:48 am »
Something that has annoyed me ever since I started playing Soldat... I am sure you know how exhausting and dumb it is to vote a certain map when your map-folder is bigger than 50 mb ... you keep clicking and clicking (or holding) and you need like 1 minute to even get to ctf_Ash.
Don't you think there is an easier way?

Well, my suggestion is as follows:

Before you are taken to the map selection after clicking "Change Map" you are taken to a menu where you may choose from different "folders" called "CTF_Maps", "DM_Maps", "Inf_Maps" and "Others" for downloaded maps.
Those folders are nothing else but *.txt or *.ini files in the "Maps"-folder of the Soldat folder.

Now everytime Soldat automatically downloads a map from a server the downloaded map is automatically added to one of the lists, depending on its prefix. Maps starting with "ctf_" will be placed in the CTF-list, starting with "inf_" means that they will be placed in the INF-list.
All other maps, that have no prefix (including DM, Climbs, Skijumps, Dodgeball, etc) will be placed in the OTHERS-list.

Of course that means that the Others-List will be full of maps by the time and here comes another thing into play:
People should have the possibility to create own lists and edit lists according to their wishes. That means that you would be able to create a climbing-list and add all maps you have there. You'd even be able to create "Favourite"-lists. Filters could also be possible, so to say you can tell Soldat to put all maps that have "kz" in their name into the "Climbing"-List.

Maybe this will also help to create / establish prefix-norms for each mod-type and get away from this "I will call the map 'Major__________map.PMS' cause that is my name".

And if this proposal has already been made, please don't flame me... it wasn't in the sticky.

Alternative by m00ยด

In order to minimize the amount of maps people have to scroll through to find the map they want to vote, the maplist could be limited to the maps available on the respective server.

Poll Options (thanks to homerofgods; original version see here)

1 - Full Version ----- 2 - Just Right Side

3 - Right Side Reorganized ----- 4 - Minimized Version
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:15:38 am by Pekay.jps »

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Re: More convenient way of voting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:18 am »
just type:

/votemap ctf_Ash

Respect capital letters, by the way.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:23:31 am »
just type:

/votemap ctf_Ash

Respect capital letters, by the way.
Again, as in all other threads regarding this, as true as the fact that there is the /votemap <mapname>, there are cases whereby a person may have a lot of maps and can't decide or remember all of them specifically.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:25:16 am »
Then practice your memory lol...

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:08 am »
~Niko~, I know that command. Thanks whatsoever.

STM is totally right. You cannot remember all the maps you have (I have 699 btw) by name...

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:46:26 am »
If you can't remember their names, having to write their names is just as useless as selecting from list. It had to be list with photos for you to know what you're choosing.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:50:52 am »
F12.
The reasons- same as OP mentioned.
b&

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:51:08 am »
If you can't remember their names, having to write their names is just as useless as selecting from list. It had to be list with photos for you to know what you're choosing.

Who says that isn't possible? And moreover it's not only about knowing the names but also writing them... I won't be able to remember whether one map has 3 "_" or just 2 or just 1...

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:08:54 am »
Why do you have such a need of changing maps anyways?

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:15:31 am »
Why not?

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:29 am »
Because you gotta be the kind of guy who after have joined exactly 120 seconds votes another map and screws up the game that was being played. Or else you like climb servers and make a whole server change to the map you want.

I'm just guessing.

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
First of all: What does it matter? It's not a feature only I would enjoy, you know.
Moreover, yeah, I vote maps. If it was forbidden or immoral or whatever you are accusing me of why is there such an option? And yeah, I like to vote maps when ctf_X (for instance) is loaded again, or when a climbing map seems impossible to me.
And no, voting doesn't screw up the game that is being played because it's everyone's decision whether to F12 or not. So when the voting succeeds and the new map is started I feel confirmed. I don't get your point... "OMG, don't vote plzzzz, it screws up the game!!!!!1111oneoneone". Well it doesn't when the majority is happy with the map.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:28 am »
I just wouldn't expect a maploader with mini map captures or smt... why do you have so many maps? delete a few and you will see how easy is to move through all of them.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:39 am »
I totally agree to Pekay, I F12 this. You cant imagine how many players dont know this command ...

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 11:26:54 am »
I just wouldn't expect a maploader with mini map captures or smt... why do you have so many maps? delete a few and you will see how easy is to move through all of them.

Well this feature would be easier than having to download new maps all of the time...
b&

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 12:50:13 pm »

Well this feature would be easier than having to download new maps all of the time...

Totally right.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 09:08:55 pm »
F12...been suggested before tho...sometimes ignored..hope this actually gets in but.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 10:11:07 pm »
yes, this should be implemented, the current change map method (not using the command) is JUST STUPID, VERY STUPID. for the sake of the game being improved, just improve it

also, if this doesn't get implemented, atleast show ONLY the maps on the server instead of your entire maps folder!
cool

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »
atleast show ONLY the maps on the server instead of your entire maps folder!
What he said.
I know this would take added server/client communication, but it would make things much simpler.

Offline Sir Jeremy

• Flagrunner
  • Eurolicous!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 11:09:53 pm »
..Am I happy I only play CTF.  Not so many maps to choose from. :)

Could work Pekay!