Poll

Which do you prefer? (Options end of post)

1 - Full Version
2 - Right Side Only
3 - Right Side Reorganized
4 - Minimal Version

Author Topic: More convenient way of voting  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
Re: More convenient way of voting
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 02:51:55 am »
also, if this doesn't get implemented, atleast show ONLY the maps on the server instead of your entire maps folder!

Added to the threadstarter :D The idea is good. Let people scroll only through the maps that are available on the server :)

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:35 am »
m00, I have to agree 100% with your post and idea. Show the maps the server has...I mean why have all the others for to just find out that its not found in the server, and then you gotta wait another two minutes to just VOTE to try and change the map.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 09:14:18 am »
That's much better idea than previously. F12 for it.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 09:38:16 am »
yes, this should be implemented, the current change map method (not using the command) is JUST STUPID, VERY STUPID. for the sake of the game being improved, just improve it

also, if this doesn't get implemented, atleast show ONLY the maps on the server instead of your entire maps folder!

I think both ideas are good, but, if you implement them together in one feature, (Mix them), you'll have the ideal voting system.
b&

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 10:17:18 am »
maybe... a script that shows the maplist of the server and tells you how to /vote it?

As you do !maps it says: Arena, Arena2, Arena3, Bigfalls... and then it says: To change map type /votemap <nameofthemap>.

It could be implemented in all servers by default like /info.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 10:42:16 am »

- I agree that the map-voting system is exhausting and dumb.
- I also think it's a good idea to make DM.txt, Ctf.txt and so on;
  And that when Soldat automatically downloads a map from a server, the downloaded map is automatically added to one of the lists.
- I also agree with Moo, only show maps that are found in the server, or put N/A behind or something.
- And also, Yes to ~Niko~s idea.
- I feel no need for the possibility to create own lists and edit lists, and haven't thought much about it,
  but I have a suggestion on how mapchanging can be more easy, pic explains it all:

- (Image made in 123, only ment to show idea)
- N not sure if map is necessary in-game, but had to use the space :p

Second try:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:00:14 pm by homerofgods »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 10:47:35 am »
^ That's a great design, it'd work.

Plus showing only maps that are found in the server.

maybe... a script that shows the maplist of the server and tells you how to /vote it?

As you do !maps it says: Arena, Arena2, Arena3, Bigfalls... and then it says: To change map type /votemap <nameofthemap>.

That'd be a simpler solution, but it won't work if the servers holds a lot of maps at once or if a lot of people are talking very quickly ingame.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:49:13 am by STM1993 »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 11:25:08 am »
^ That's a great design, it'd work.

Plus showing only maps that are found in the server.

That'd be a simpler solution, but it won't work if the servers holds a lot of maps at once or if a lot of people are talking very quickly ingame.

So in other words. Today's pubs. Which host about 50% of the games other than gathers, leagues, and CW's etc....
b&

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 11:45:32 am »
Awesome, I like where this is going :D Great job with that concept homerofgods *thumbsup*

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 11:53:50 am »
Awesome, I like where this is going :D Great job with that concept homerofgods *thumbsup*
Ty. Funny to use paint some times.
I think the design have to be more soldat-like and maybe made in a smarter way, but you see the concept with the ticks and scrolling.
After the next bug-fixing version I would like features like this to be implemented.
Things that doesn't make more bugs, only make things more easy.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 06:40:00 pm »
Do the background armylike and then it is perfect :)

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
Mm great design homer
Aww don't talk about background he's just giving us a peek at where everything could go
IMO include a poll for the ideas in this thread, plus both together
And yeah I think it'd be an awesome idea...

Another thing - maybe an addition to homer's thing, maybe above the bar where you click to see maps, maybe include a search function.  Then it limits it to only maps in the server that contains the words you've put in the bar, e.g. if you're in climb, and you want a map, say, ctf_A_example123 you don't have to browse through all the maps starting with ctf_A_ but you can just type in 'exa' and it should come up :)

EDIT:  So like a quick way of doing it if you only know part of the map name, maybe even if you don't know the starting letter.  This is quite common if you're voting climb maps, where the creator puts their initials up the front.  If you don't know who made the map but you have an idea of its name it's a quick way to vote it
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:00:59 pm by Platehead »
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 04:42:09 am »
Mm great design homer
Aww don't talk about background he's just giving us a peek at where everything could go
IMO include a poll for the ideas in this thread, plus both together
And yeah I think it'd be an awesome idea...

Another thing - maybe an addition to homer's thing, maybe above the bar where you click to see maps, maybe include a search function.  Then it limits it to only maps in the server that contains the words you've put in the bar, e.g. if you're in climb, and you want a map, say, ctf_A_example123 you don't have to browse through all the maps starting with ctf_A_ but you can just type in 'exa' and it should come up :)

EDIT:  So like a quick way of doing it if you only know part of the map name, maybe even if you don't know the starting letter.  This is quite common if you're voting climb maps, where the creator puts their initials up the front.  If you don't know who made the map but you have an idea of its name it's a quick way to vote it

Implementing a direct interaction search function would definitely require TONS of work, especially to adjust it with the current netcode. This might be a bit too much, and ruin the whole concept of the function suggested by the OP and M00. I think what homer did was just perfect, now it's up to us to pass this through to the official suggestions\MM.
b&

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 05:33:13 am »
ok, I just thrashed my temp files, but I can see what I can do tonight. It was really just to show the idea with ticks and scrolling. Search bar could be included, but Imo we don't need it if it takes extra space, rather keep it simple and easy. OK, I might redo the whole thing for the better, it's just an image though.
Army background? hehe, maybe keep it as normal with the transparent gray background.
anyway, no time now, but lots of time later so it will come.

Pekay.jps maybe we could make a official suggestion of this, with poll and stuff, when we are done.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:36:10 am by homerofgods »

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 05:47:00 am »
I'd be glad if someone else could take over this thread in a way xD I will be gone for a week from Sunday on and I won't be able to follow this thread any more.
Tell me what I shall do and I will try to do it before Sunday evening.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 06:45:36 am »
I'd be glad if someone else could take over this thread in a way xD I will be gone for a week from Sunday on and I won't be able to follow this thread any more.
Tell me what I shall do and I will try to do it before Sunday evening.
Well, you don't need to do anything I think. If we do a suggestion, I could do it and make sure to mention your name properly :P

Discuss search bar, and do we need map preview?

I think it would be cool with map-preview if it isn't too much trouble to do, but not necessary.
Platehead gave me an idea, to have the authors name next to map preview, I will show it on the next try.

And also, Platehead, if we would have a search function it would be the coolest way to do it. But is it too hard to implement?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:57:52 am by homerofgods »

Offline Pekay.jps

• Major
  • Chose to be clanless
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 07:23:00 am »
Map Preview would be awesome but it should only be implemented in case it isn't too much hassle and in case it doesn't get too confusing with the game-background (remember the voting window is transparent...)

Map Author would be a nice feature too :)

Search Bar: same thing as with Map Preview, doesn't have that much priority I'd say. And it shouldn't mess too much with the game background fluently.

Just my views on it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:29:50 am by Pekay.jps »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 10:17:59 am »
1.                   2.                3.             4.

I did some options for you.

Everything that is Dark-Green will probably be almost transparent. Could also change colour.
If that search-bar is implemented, we ,may not need the scroll-bar on the left.
And if we don't want search bar, we could have a ''see more'' or ''+'' button, to get the scroller or something, idk.
Comments for improvements and discussion about the topic please!

1. The whole package
2. Just right side of the full package
3. Reorganised a little, dunno what looks best
4. Small version
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:52:29 am by homerofgods »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 10:47:50 am »
1.Remove the search bar.
2.Make the green transparent, and a little lighter, it's too dark.
b&

Offline Ninjinuy

• Major(1)
  • Ingame: Jason Bourne
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 04:40:24 pm »
Ah yes! I would love to see something like this implemented :) I think that, if we use homero's type of map selection, that the player should be forced to spectator while choosing a map (so as to not get spawn killed) and upon choosing one to vote on, be sent back to w/e team they were playing on (not sure how reserving spots would work for games that get full often).

I also like the 3rd design best (with Select above map and author) but I think you should leave the map list and scroll bar. The search can simply function like this: As you type letters, the map list on the left is narrowed down, in real time, to maps that either directly match what you type or simply contain the letters typed (or both).

I also support organizing maps into CTF, DM, etc. txt files within the maps folder and the option of only being able to choose the maps hosted on the server. Organization is key!