Author Topic: Walljump  (Read 4505 times)

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
Re: Walljump
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 12:43:30 am »
Quote from: poodle
have the game "N+" on my pc....
When I first heard of "wall jumping" it reminded me of the N game. I don't play it much, but it has the same concept.

We have to fix a lot of bugs and glitches, until we have the resources and motivation to make soldat more versatile.
True, very true. I didn't realise this until you posted it...
Proudly Australian :)

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 06:48:21 am »
I don't mind the idea, but putting this in a mod is better......
My point was, for exemple in the game Unreal Tournament , when there's people who are jumping to avoid you, well it anoying, so ("combat" jumping) (don't know the real name for that) is kind of not really accepted.....but in soldat, that thing should in a mod, if it goes in the game.
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 09:23:21 pm »
Meh that's why we have jets... No?

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 05:00:45 am »
Exactly ;)
Proudly Australian :)

Offline Lt. Sprizz

• Major
  • I'm sorry if I offended you.
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 10:59:43 am »
well, I'm not sure about wall jumping, but I think the whole grabbing onto walls would be cool. I mean, only if you made like a ladder or something to grab on the wall, or a ledge.

Yes, exactly like super metroid, but i think it would be fun. I'm not saying this needs to be implememnteed right away, or that it's even necessary at all to soldat.

But i like the idea, if it can be done easily.
"I am Jack's lack of surprise..." ~(Tyler Durden)
-=::SPOILER::=-
Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are the same person...:)
In-game: \Biz|Niz/

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 09:12:47 pm »
Wouldn't that require like..adding something to the engine of the game?

Soldat is closed source I believe.

Offline ValiS

• Major
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 02:36:01 am »
Sorry for offtopicness, but this grabbing the walls etc stuff made me think of liero, why dont you suggest soldats shooting spiderman-like ropes and swinging on them like in liero.. that would be hella funny(fun).
I know its a useless thing to say but what the hell.
I eat EFCs for breakfast (with a lot of ketchup ...)

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 06:43:38 am »
Valis that should be as a mod...the rope grabing thing.....but for the bots...it's some thing alse.........complicate programming.
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline Moirae

• Major(1)
  • Post for Absolution
    • Soldat Realistic
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 07:58:16 pm »
Hmm, how about introducing a new polygon type called "sticky". This would allow players to stick to vertical walls and even tilted walls without falling down and without ruining the gameplay of current maps. Not to mention the possibilities introduced in custom maps (which might find their way to default eventually).

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 03:38:14 am »
Hmm, how about introducing a new polygon type called "sticky". This would allow players to stick to vertical walls and even tilted walls without falling down and without ruining the gameplay of current maps. Not to mention the possibilities introduced in custom maps (which might find their way to default eventually).

Still, new polyworks would take too much time until they'd be introduced to default maps and they might even become unpopular or unplayed.
b&

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 09:16:43 am »
Walljumping would be cool, though it should require a certain level of skill to pull of...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »
Nice idea, but implementing it would make it much easier to dodge, which will turn a shooting game into ninja madness. It will also kill such tactics as boosting the enemy into the wall/pit on purpose to slow him down - he'll just jump off the surface and keep on moving without loosing much speed.
Soldat's physics allow polygons to be both your friend and your enemy, depending on situation. With wall jumps they'll be way too much of a friend and way too little of an enemy.

At least that's the way I see it.. :S
So, F11
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:44:23 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 05:25:14 am »
Any improvement which changes the controls/adds more ways to move IS GOOD!

For example BACK FLIP!

Anyway.. this one was suggested before! The thread was called WALL KICK it looks like it was denied...

But still I'll f12 for any suggestion that changes controls!
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline RaiRass_Rosato

• Major(1)
  • I am imacheater2k7 reincarnated.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 07:28:25 pm »
While this idea may seem cool and appealing, if you just look at it for a second, it serves no purpose. Soldat has Jets for a reason: To make navigating a 2D world easy. N is a great game, but this isn't a pacifist Ninja game... this is Soldat.

And if you might think to bring up maps without Jet availability... Then there's no walls to wall jump on them in the first place, or the whole point of it is to be difficult to get up anyway.

Wall Jumping has no purpose; it would only look cool.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 10:41:19 am »
I fot a big 'n hefty F11 on this.

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 10:44:42 am »
Eh, one of my maps had a vertical wall and I was able to jump out of it.. if you press WD or WA jump in the wall direction you can climb up easily :D Gonna post it soon :)
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 12:08:07 pm »
If I remember correctly, Demonic once stated that this was possible or at least easier in earlier versions of Soldat. I'll have to find his post.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 01:19:10 pm »
It is possible at the moment, only if the wall is broken into segments (polystructure-wise).  Its not really reliable and you have to land exactly on where the 2 edges meet for it to make your gostek kick off the wall.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 07:21:56 am »
It is possible at the moment, only if the wall is broken into segments (polystructure-wise).  Its not really reliable and you have to land exactly on where the 2 edges meet for it to make your gostek kick off the wall.
Some time ago I was trying to do it in this way - it works crappy!

(Searching)
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 08:55:58 am »
You know, whether this has been mentioned, it sounds like he wants to mix N with Soldat. F12 imo, maybe have an option for it to be turned on or off.