Author Topic: Abuse Mod - WIP - help needed.  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
Abuse Mod - WIP - help needed.
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:57:24 am »
If anyone remember this old game, I will gasp in amazement. :o So If you don't please visit

http://www.rocket-surgery.net/abuse/index.html

It will be a full modification. Partially it's done (menu guns, part of sounds, custom interface, pickups, spawn-spark) but I need help (namely someone to make an Abuse character gostek, and some science-fiction gun sounds would be useful too).

No in-game eye candy for now, but

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
Re: Abuse Mod - WIP - help needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »
You just wait. I paused with modding early because I went schematic, out of ideas and reusing old mod and gostek parts. It will be done. If that was possible with SAC it will be possible with Abuse mod. About guns: do you started some works on weapons-gfx? Usually gosteks are made accordingly for specific weapons-gfx or vice versa.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »
No, I didn't. I made only those in menu. If you will make the gostek [this time] ;), O will be glad to make weapons that will fit.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:48:18 pm »
If you will make the gostek [this time] ;), O will be glad to make weapons that will fit.
I had problems with helmet and how to mount it properly into body torso like in original game. Other reason is brightness on my monitor, so colors could be different. Again, I had space for helmet only to 7x7 px max, so I screwed some details, but saved only most important ones. Entire gostek is easy to make but that f**king helmet! Now it looks like predator or alien head but I couldn't get any closer to original. That's some of reasons why I cacelled works on it, but hey, if you really want to finish this mod and announced it officially I will try again. Just test this unfinished attempt and tell me if you want me to continue in current shape and form. ;)

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:31 am »
It's looking very nice! The helmet is OK. Few parts needs modifying though - I'll send you an PM on what I have on mind.

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:07:05 pm »
loving the idea, hopefully it's gonna work out great..

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:24:26 pm »
Ok, some tweaks, I finished helmet and did arms working like in Abuse, legs will be done later, probably different for both teams.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:07 am »
OK, the work is going on, most sounds finished. Check this out and tell me what's good and what's bad before I start making weapons-gfx.

http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abuse.gif

And few questions: which files are bullet-hits-player-thingy? After modifying jetfire in spakrs-gfx still black little clouds appear when jetting simultaneously with new jetfire. How to delete them?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 08:13:35 am »
The little black smoke can be found in lilsmoke.bmp, minismoke is for the law and bigsmoke for explosions

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »
Well, you can start attempts with weapons-gfx because shoulders, arms and hands seems to be ok. Only some colors and body torso may change. But in some screens in-game the armor looks like blue gray/navy and shape is different than at concept art. If you could, send me more clean shots with it but in .png? Also few more with these mechanical legs because I dont know how to connect them to body properly, it still give visual errors.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:49:23 pm »
It's quite difficult to take clear screenshots in Abuse, but I'll see what I can do. I also noticed huge difference between in game and concept character, It's quite confusing.

edit:
FOR ABUSE VETERANS: If anyone knows and has and info about the final, green weapon seen on this screen, please contact. Even though I played Abuse a lot I can't find it, even in edit mode.
http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot0018i.png
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:40:35 am by Rook_PL »

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 09:46:13 am »
Almost there, just only legs to do. Armor will stay not entirely black (only darker than rest of body) because near black body parts will look terrible in team games.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:17:26 pm by Henito Kisou »

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:21:00 pm »
Most things are looking good, but even though only few things need to be done, mod won't be released until next week. I think I'll make abuse-like explosions. Any tips?
Also, I'm waiting for the legs. *hint for Henito*

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »
Omg I remember having played that about 2 years ago...A friend of mine had somehow found it on a warez site and downloaded it, then he invited me over to see it, I was amused with it's simplicity, very close to that of soldat :)
If you're gonna make this mod you'll be my hero...
b&

Offline Taehl

• Camper
  • When a fool hears about Tao, he just laughs.
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »
Abuse? Man, I played the /hell/ out of that game. Revolutionary mouse+keyboard independant weapon aim / movement controls (ala Soldat)? Awesome graphics with dynamic lighting? Simple scripted events and fiendish, sadistic levels? I love (the game called) Abuse.

The green gun is the final gun you get. You might not be seeing it because you're playing with the demo version? Anyway, it's like a machinegun-raingun. Or so I think. It spits instant-hit projectiles that do a ton of damage and leave behind a blue-grey trail of smoke/particles/pixel. Ammo was rare, but it could mow down an entire trap (or one of those crushing robots!) in seconds.

As for gosteks... I'm too busy with my own mod to make some for you. However, seeing as how the Abuse-infected prisoners were somewhat of a ripoff of Giger's Alien with guns, I grant your mod permission to use (and/or modify) my old Alien gostek. It should work out really nicely since the Abuse-infectees used the same guns the player did, albeit mounted in their backs.

Now, if we could just get a mapper to make some dark, cramped industrial levels... Mmmm, good times...

EDIT) Oh, and Henito Kisou: Very nice Nick gostek, I love it. I can't quite tell if you did it or not, but remember that while the forearms were brown, the hands, shoulders, and upper arms were dark grey, as you can see in this box art. Also, just a suggestion, but I think it would be best if the brown parts were made light grey in the .bmp files, so that players could use the shirt color option to choose whatever color they wanted. Lastly, consider the possibility of making the helmet on helm.bmp instead of as a head - it might be cool to be able to lose the helmet when you're hurt (even if it didn't happen in Abuse). That being said, once again, I love how it looks so far.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:42:10 am by Taehl »
"The balance is perfect. The flow is perfect. The speed is perfect. This... Is the absolute best mod on the site."  - mxyzptlk
"THIS IS PROBABLY... scratch that ...this IS the best mod I have seen before. Dang man, nice job!"  - Dorkey Dear
"Whoa! This is the best mod ever!!!"  - imacheater2k7      "Looks like a beaut. On a rating, 6/5"  - Radical Terrorist
New and improved: LandWarrior 3.0

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 03:11:19 am »
I'm confused - I'm sure it's a full version. Maybe it didn't appear on difficulties lower than Extreme. I'm going to check that out :D

All gosteks are made by Henito. I'll think about that sweet alien gostek. Suspiciously similar to Abuse's ants. Coincidence? :)

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:30:28 pm »
For brighter colors try increase gamma in your Soldat, main body armor is brighter than in game intentionally (team games/custom colors). Also dont forget that gostek is based on in-game character sprites, not concept art which is different. Files attached.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 04:12:38 am »
Sweet! Thank you Very Much!

It'll be out when it will be ready ;D

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:11:33 am »
Dont wait for those alt legs since basic gostek is finished. Just finish mod and make first release. Somewhat 1.0 is usually still kind of beta, so any alternate or extras, bug fixes and improvements can be released later in patch or next version (like Soldat AC's 1.0.1). As Taehl mentioned, you can even remake his Alien gostek for Team2. Dont forget about some nice poster because good one can generate 2-3x more downloads.

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 05:32:41 am »
Ok, I think 0.9 version is ready to see (limited) daylight. Any thoughts, tips and constructive criticism will be helpful. Especially gun names and volume of sfx's. Credits: me, Henito Kisou for gostek, Anna and Perfect Dark 64 for some sfx's and graphics.

Also: Taehl, I've read your post once again and I suppose you didn't get it. The gun you was taking about I know very well. It will replace steyr. I was talking of the other green gun.

Also2: If anybody would like to make an Abuse themed map, it would be great.

Also3: Abuse themed custom interface is added to the mod. For registered users.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IMZM3BBY

Edit: Another issue: I made a new intro, and it works (not in 0.9), but title-l and title-r.bmp aren't viewed. Anyone knows why (no error aperas)?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:23:26 am by Rook_PL »