Author Topic: CTF Temple of Scorpion  (Read 5715 times)

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
CTF Temple of Scorpion
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:17:23 am »
Temple of Scorpion

By Zakath

Map with falling flags and flagthrow option.

(^Click To Enlarge^)

Screenshots:

Download / Rate on TMS

Checkout more maps by Zakath

This map is hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

DarkCrusade

Re: CTF Temple of Scorpion
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 08:04:03 am »
Cool messed up version of the one in the mapping help section ;D Looks are great like we all already know from you, gameplay has also to be good or you wouldn´t post it, so ... good work ;D

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »
Played it at #soldat.mapping and I liked it alot, the gameplay works great IMO, funny, you get the gameplay quite fast.

Offline kvachu

• Major
  • Soldat Forever...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:09:10 pm »
Cool messed up version of the one in the mapping help section ;D Looks are great like we all already know from you, gameplay has also to be good or you wouldn´t post it, so ... good work ;D
Nothing more to say, that's our zakath.
I really like Your visual style in Your maps. Visuals aren't exaggerated. If about gameplay I wish to test it with normal players, but what Biggles say I believe.
Keep up the good work!

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:00:28 pm »
Nothing more to say, that's our zakath.
I really like Your visual style in Your maps. Visuals aren't exaggerated. If about gameplay I wish to test it with normal players, but what Biggles say I believe.
Keep up the good work!

Well I usually try to fix gameplay first. then I try todo looks that doesnt interfer with the gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:02:19 pm by zakath »

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Jakious

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:25:36 am »
Love the sun's reflection

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »
Lower right side of scorpion, the bridge, doesn't look right. I'm walking on air..
Left bridge is ok

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »
If you made the pillars part of the background (made them into scenery), then this map is cool.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
graphics are just great, also rhis is rly. Dynamic map
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »
! 10/10  ;D  8)
BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Tekidek

• Major
  • Touché!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:43 pm »
It's a perfect default map for the next version
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:59:51 pm »
Thank you for the map.

I played it in hns.
It's really fun to run on it! :)

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:52:46 am »
played this one a full server two days ago (with players who completely annihilated me in-game), the verdict was unanimous: this map is total garbage.
Visually, however, it isn't the worst pile of s**t. The whole concept of falling flags is just bollocks, especially on such a ginormous map.

Even though I didn't provide any specific reasons as to why this map is not satisfactory, I ought to point out that this map does not match the standards of a default soldat map IN ANY RESPECT. It is severely unoriginal, apart from the flags**t, this piece of work is generic to the bone. There is also NO GOOD REASON why this should have ever been introduced into the beta in the first place. This also applies to OTHER maps by the SAME AUTHOR whose maps have MIRACULOUSLY made it into soldat defaults.

Perhaps the falling flags feature could be applied to more compact and less dull maps.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:22:48 am by Horve »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:45 pm »
I took the liberty to simplify the screenshot.

Yeah, we're being critical D:
eh, I'm not a good judge anyway--too sentimental/biased.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:38:46 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »
Falling flag idea is enough for originality and the rest layout ideas support that main idea very well, it doesn't really matter if the rest layout isn't original.

Map is clearly something different and gameplay works there. This map will have many haters and lovers. In the long run the best players will be still the best and in this case it just take a little more time that players learn to play the map.

There's just no point adding Steel/Division/Laos/+other basic maps. I don't speak a word against these maps itself, but there's no point adding more of them.

If you still prefer basic Soldat play, there are still 3/4 of maps supporting it.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »
Not a fan of this map either. Like Horve said, apart from falling flags it's very generic. Even falling flags don't really make gameplay more original. Overall gameplay is still very similar to many other CTF maps. This concept might've been more fun with a different layout.

Speaking of layouts and "other maps from the same author" - me and a number of other people really liked ctf_Campeche. Layout of the bases is pretty interesting and fun to fight on. Very nice and fast-paced map. If I had to choose between Scorpion and Campeche - I'd definitely choose Campeche.

Besides, don't you think the whole jungle theme is overused? We could really use more urban, industrial and snow-themed maps. :|

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:34:42 pm »
I think the Ancient Ruins theme is great when attention to detail is made. I really like the look of this map, though I would suggest maybe laying columns that have collapsed across the floor/each other to form a bridge or ramp with the other columns in order to mix up the player movement.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »
A few more reasons why it shouldn't be a default map:
1) You can't score from the middle or bottom routes. You can only score at a spot where your flag actually spawns. It makes sense why it's like that, but it's not immediately clear for everyone. I just had a few games and have seen a few players trying to cap from the platform below the flag spawn.
2) It's not clear where exactly flag spawns and falls, so players would often wait for flag to spawn but then miss it because they were slightly off.
3) To prevent enemies from capping the flag from lower routes you can camp the flag spawn or the platform below it, which causes chat console to get spammed with "blablah has returned the blah flag".

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »
1) You can't score from the middle or bottom routes. You can only score at a spot where your flag actually spawns. It makes sense why it's like that, but it's not immediately clear for everyone. I just had a few games and have seen a few players trying to cap from the platform below the flag spawn.
2) It's not clear where exactly flag spawns and falls, so players would often wait for flag to spawn but then miss it because they were slightly off.
3) To prevent enemies from capping the flag from lower routes you can camp the flag spawn or the platform below it, which causes chat console to get spammed with "blablah has returned the blah flag".
Yep i played it on multiplayer and it isn't that good (yes it is bad) i don't like the flag spawn(enemy must only be in the diagonal of the falling flag and they can steal it so making flag"securing impossible!! ),
and the gameplay is rly bad the camp posts("directly posted near enemy flag") in few player mach its near impossible to get the enemy flag cause of the upper camp spots.
And the thing that lames to is:
im at the lowest path and everyone up from second or third path can shoot and kill me :S
(pretty much dislikes for a official map "but i think with a little editing the map could come fine")

The only "LIKE" on this map is the scenery the water and so the lowest path look's really nice and the middle looks like autumn leaves rly nice for that...
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 07:02:35 am »

1) Yes, I've noticed that too. Players usually don't know how to cap there at first time, but after one fail they know how to do it.
2) Same as 1)
3) That "return flag" camp strategy is just bad strategy, except in situation where your team has enemy flag and is going for cap. Return posts can be a bit of irritating, yes.

However, they are just little things.

Yep i played it on multiplayer and it isn't that good (yes it is bad) i don't like the flag spawn(enemy must only be in the diagonal of the falling flag and they can steal it so making flag"securing impossible!! ),
and the gameplay is rly bad the camp posts("directly posted near enemy flag") in few player mach its near impossible to get the enemy flag cause of the upper camp spots.
First flag securing is impossible and then it's impossible to get the flag? Huh... Changing team could help  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:02:27 am by Suowarrior »