Author Topic: ctf_uckinflag  (Read 1021 times)

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
ctf_uckinflag
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:04 pm »
This idea kinda hit me randomly, but I went with it.  Heres the basic outline with a few notes as to a big structure prob that I'll fix.  Just wanted to see what you think about the gameplay options :).

The idea is for both teams to fall into a melting pot of combat, then sort of disperse toward the flags.  The efc will have to dedicate himself to which path he will go to, and will not have reinforcements spawning in at the flag if he decides to wait there.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:14:51 pm by p0ppin »
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: ctf_uckinflag
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:30:04 pm »
seems good, different
the only thing I can think right now is that the lower chamber is kinda useless
maybe some OWP going out of it on each side (so player could boost it self to the flag, would be nice)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:43 pm »
I like the risk here, the spawn idea might be cool, or it could totally suck. Anyway I can't see reason why your flag places turn into center, that means awkward movements. I think it would be better if the flag place turns into edge of map.

Suggestion: http://i40.tinypic.com/4tq6nk.png

As you can see, I also curved the middle route (roof), to give better aim from very center to these tunnels which lead to flag.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »
The idea is for both teams to fall into a melting pot of combat, then sort of disperse toward the flags. 

Why not give the map multiple flag spawns and have them spawn in random places? That'd make for more of a melting pot of combat.
There are other worlds than these

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:55:05 pm »
I think I screwed with it enough that you'll like it better this time Suo :P.

Now to the decision part, I have a few options.  Each will dramatically change how the map is played.

On the 2 beams indicated below, should I...

(Left - OBC) and (Top - OPC)
This is what I was planning to make it until these other ideas hit me.  This gives the flagger some options.  He can toss the flag to a team-mate above if he's in trouble, or he can take the shorter path back toward the bridge (riskier because of spawns), or he can go low which provides a bit more cover.

(Left - OPC) and (Top - OBC)
This would kill the short path to get to the flags - would let the defending team attack the flagger from outside, and those chasing the efc to have a decent final shot at him before he caps.  Would also put the bottom path to more use.

(Both beams OPC)
Would make the only way to the flag to be through the holes in the bridge on both sides.  Would basically make the center of the map a big killfest.  Good flagtossing would be crucial.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline bhs

• Major(1)
    • My Artdump
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:41:56 pm »
There's really nothing stopping someone from capping once they grab the flag. The lower route isn't really that hard to escape through, considering most people are going to bash each other as soon as they spawn. It's really a risky experiment but also an interesting idea.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 12:30:29 am »
There's no risks in experimenting. Just what you do and don't do with time.

With the OPC on top.. that section is rather out of the way, so I don't recommend doing thus.

I suggest (Left - OPC) and (Top - OBC)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 03:07:25 am »
Guess if this is gonna be played on a public player most efcs will be outside on top while the flag is not in base ... maybe make the outer polygons going to top deadly to avoid that, the lower place should stay the way it is.

I would delete the opc and fill the space up there, it is unnecessary in my opinion. Bridge looks okay, but low route is too fast at the moment, make it slower. EFC should have a little advantage by having medikits on flagspawns to provide him to camp there and not go outside what is safer from position but without medikits.

To finish: do you really want the players to catch the kits out of midair? ::)

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 09:12:53 am »
As for the efc's being on top, just think of how they have to get there - no decent way of propelling yourself quickly up (maybe with minigun or m79), so he must go through the very middle right under the other team spawns.  Not my idea of safe, I don't think many efc's will do it, and most that try will die a horrible, horrible death :P.

I'll test with the different variations before I delete the upper path.  The lower path is fast because I want it to be  ;D - again, I'll have to test before I change anything.

Nades and medikits spawn at the flag, and also at the playerspawns.  One of the miracles of soldat I suppose :o

And finally... I'm not exactly sure why I made the kits fall like that lol, it just seemed cool to me and might add a bit of unpredictability  :P
Thank you for the suggestions Dark, I will still consider all of them :).

updated :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:14:56 am by p0ppin »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 11:37:24 am »
Great map, gonna set it for soldat.gather when its ready.

There is issue with medicits, they pile up in spawns. Issue will be fixed if you set two other medic spawns into air, one for each side (to drop down through bridge).

I can't see point of OBC there, it's annoying, I would delete it.

I don't like the map name :S.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:17 am »
You're right, the OBC's did kinda get in the way... removed.  Hopefully that extra medi fixes it :P  I'll think of a new name lol :-[
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:31:29 pm by p0ppin »