Author Topic: Access violation at address 00501ED9, please help me!  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Fang Fengdi

• Major(1)
Access violation at address 00501ED9, please help me!
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »
When I am trying to play on a server, every minute or two I am flooded by error messages saying I have an access violation at address 00501ED9 in module 'soldat.exe' and the read of the address is 00000000. Please help me fix this, because it is making it impossible to play!

Thanks in advance.

Offline ethernamente

• Major(1)
Re: Access violation at address 00501ED9, please help me!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:07:47 am »
I'm having the same error too. Always when i try to play i get those error messages. And i tried to install Soldat again but it did not help, i even tried to change the fonts in txt file, but i think that only helps in some other error. Please help us  :(  (i also noticed that always when i kill somone or i get killed i get that error)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:30:20 am by ethernamente »

Offline Fang Fengdi

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:02:11 pm »
Yes, we definitely have the same problem. That's a little comforting. Somebody heeellppp.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:56:05 pm »
From what I have heard from people, you get access violations from reg keys, downloaded ones of the web...Other than that just make a backup of profiles and stuff important to you, then reinstall soldat, should be fine. If this don't work then its out of my hands.

Flood kicks are from spamming text. I used to get that in 1.4 sometimes cause of my crappy connection. It wouldn't read the message then it would and this kept happening so the message would spam about 6 or 7 times getting me kicked. Ever since I got a better connection it stopped(seems to be fixed in 1.5 too). Not sure how the flood kicks relate to the access violation, could be bad reg keys(as stated above) or corrupt files.

I hope this helps

Offline ethernamente

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:38 pm »
Reinstalling wont work, but i changed my default font 1 (BankGothic Lt BT) to Comicsans MS font and i did not get the error anymore so i think anyone that gets this error may have corrupted font file?? Now i just got to find a new font to my menu that works with Soldat  ;) (trust me, arial don't work with Soldat)

Game worked fine for bout 20minutes after i changed the fonts, then it started complainin again about that damn access violation
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:31:48 pm by ethernamente »

Offline Fang Fengdi

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:19:16 pm »
Yeah, not flood kick like that, flooding like the error message just keeps appearing and appearing after you click "okay", so it's really hard to get rid of so you can play. I tried reinstalling, no luck.

Offline Ninjinuy

• Major(1)
  • Ingame: Jason Bourne
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:20:16 pm »
If this is the access violations that I use to get (Im pretty sure it is) then I recommend changing the BigFontSize in the font.ini file from the default 28 to 14. If that doesn't help, could you all provide us with more info about your computers and the soldat configuration you currently have?

To find just about all the info that is relevant:

(Windows only) Go to the start menu and click on the run option then type in dxdiag in the dialog box. Hit enter and info on your computer should come up. Copy and paste the information in the System and Display tabs, posting only the information from the Device section that is under the Display tab (Driver and DirectX Features are not needed). Leave out unneeded info or information that you believe poses a risk to your computer's security (such as computer name, the BIOS, etc).

Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:14:05 pm by Ninjinuy »

Offline ethernamente

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »
Thanks Ninjinuy, that rly helped. I changed the font to 14 and im not getting the error anymore  :) Thanks a lot  :)

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:26:50 am »

I have that same problem, I changed font and it's nothing to changed! Plz, help me!!! :-[

Ninjinuy, what I must to do after when I enter "dxdiag"??

Sorry for my English...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:58:18 am by machina »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 05:12:23 pm »
Yes it has to do with the font drawing stuff.
I took a look at the disassembly and compared it with the soldat source code.
I can definitively say where the error is thrown.

In the TAsphyreFontAlt.TextOut method the line

newBmp.pFTexture.GetSurfaceLevel(0,newBmp.pFSurface);

Especially the second parameter newBmp.pFSurface is causing the crash (because newBmp.pFSurface is a null pointer).

Maybe the CreateTexture function fails and returns a null pointer for you.
But I had no time to check why it happens.

Could you tell me your Windows version, the graphics card and how you can reproduce the error the fastest way?

I'm sure we could run some tests with a text build or maybe EnEsCe will do that.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline haxory

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 03:34:30 am »
1st of all, sorry for bumping this old topic.
but the cause at address 00501ED9 is always the fonts.
I found out my problem was a missing font that soldat tried to use.
So I changed "Font2"
to "BankGothic Lt BT"

And it worked like a charm :)

So Soldat may want to check if the character set is available, if not, use an alternative or include a char set in the install ;)

regards,
Pascal.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:32:22 am »
1st of all, sorry for bumping this old topic.
but the cause at address 00501ED9 is always the fonts.
I found out my problem was a missing font that soldat tried to use.
So I changed "Font2"
to "BankGothic Lt BT"

And it worked like a charm :)

So Soldat may want to check if the character set is available, if not, use an alternative or include a char set in the install ;)

regards,
Pascal.

s**t, it's work... Fck font make this bug!!! Just change this Font2 to something other like Arial, but remember, copy a font into a Soldat folder... You will find fonts in C:/WINDOWS/Fonts If you cannot Copy a file, just use a Ctrl+C :)

But this bug comes back while on Leo's servers are some informations about gather...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:55:32 am by machina »