Author Topic: yDoom - my tribute to Soldat  (Read 1433 times)

Offline yv3

• Major(1)
  • I DON'T cheat!
    • Yasan V3
yDoom - my tribute to Soldat
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »
'Evening,

I was motivated by MM's blog. I started to make my own game. It will be the best ASCII-Based top-view fast paced action game with physics and rpg-elements ever seen! :)

My wrapper class for console handling is completed (until now). I started to develop the level editor, i will soon be able to create maps with 4 types of layers (background, collision, top layer and game objects layer) :) :

I draw the image with my son :)
The Drawing is much easier and funnier than with normal graphics because you get faster to your aim and it gives you more place for imagination (like in old games).
I could later easily change the application to make a movie editor.

Undo, Scrolling, Saving and Loading and much more works fine, the next step will be some UI enhancements like a select file dialog and then switching the several layers and add game objects.

My aim is to make a minimal but very lovely detailed action game that everone can effectively extend with the level editor. You can make a fast map where you can shoot around by placing some predefined enemies and customizable scene prefabs, but you will also be able to create dialogs and triggers like in adventure games and set many object properties like in rpg games. There will be some detailed physics effects for debris and blood, you will be able to throw a grenade at some enemies, they will be blast away like in soldat, the ASCII-Characters began slowly to change to red color :) My dream is to make it playable in multiplayer mode, i wrote a little chat program some years ago, maybe my dream will come true :)
These are my dreams for now, i know that i can't decide anything at all so lets see what will happen. Maybe in some years it will be complete :9, until know i get fast progress, everything was done in a month or two.

I also started to make a forum (thank good that i now make holidays two weeks and rest from the computer:)). When it's complete you can watch the progress on http://yv3.ohost.de/forum. If you have question please post at my forum when the forum its complete (Just watch at the news line).

I made a setup package in 5 minutes that shows the current state: http://yv3.yv.ohost.de/files/yDoom.exe

cya

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:11:51 am by yv3 »
Yasan v3 - Frags don't matter - only skill counts!

Creator of ySoldatStat

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: yDoom - my tribute to Soldat
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:06:53 pm »
Since this isn't compatible with Soldat, or related to it, I'm moving it to the Lounge.
There are other worlds than these

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:32:41 pm »
There was this game called Dwarf Fortress or something like that, its crazy! It's 3D! (Well, visually not, but you can move your 2d visual plane up and down)
Is this airal (air-ial? is that a word?) v(top, looking down) view? It looks like a sport game :)

Offline yv3

• Major(1)
  • I DON'T cheat!
    • Yasan V3
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:27:09 am »
Dwarf Fortress is the most complex ascii-Game ever made, a huge world is randomly generated at startup and then simulated to let the user play god. If ihad enough time i would give it a try :).
I want to make an action game where you move a single character with the keyboard and aim with the mouse. Look at http://doom.chaosforge.org, there is a game called Doom The Roguelike. My game will be quite similar, except that it will be in realtime and have fancier graphics and effects and a level editor...

The football field is only a "map" that i made for testing purposes (drawing lines, circles, ellipses, rectangles, flood fill)..
Yasan v3 - Frags don't matter - only skill counts!

Creator of ySoldatStat