Author Topic: 10 gig games?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
10 gig games?
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:24:27 pm »
I'm missing out on something right here...Ever since I had my very first try at a PC back at the mid 2000's I've apparently blinked at the moment at which games became real-life-esque in looks\sounds\motion etc etc...Can anyone tell me when the fuck and how did this all happen? Back at that time the Mario game (PC version) used to take about one tenth of a hard disk...Nowadays "standard" games need about 10 times the size of an earlier "standard" in hard disk size\memory...What happened?!
b&

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: 10 gig games?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:39:15 pm »
Things evolve, you have more space and games require more space (better graphics, physics...) It's clear that as much you improve those aspects you'll need more space

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:43:59 pm »
maps got big and textures got big. Sandbox games like GTA and all the copies took up huge amounts of space.

Hell they had a hard time packing Zelda OOT into that little cartridge.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:11:24 pm »
Considering a 1 TB hard disk - which are getting quite common today - will store a hundred 10 GB games, no one really cares. It's one of the cheapest components in a modern computer.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 01:21:07 pm »
Big leaps have been made over the last 20 years and things are still growing strong.

The biggest leap in the last 10 years I would put at about 2002/2003 at the time that the Unreal 2 and Source engine were in development, many important graphical advancements which were only theoretical before became a reality with more powerful hardware advancements. Things such as normal maps, realtime lighting, cubemaps, realtime physics and realtime lighting weren't possible before that time. Once these things were established, they pushed both the game industry and hardware industry forward a long way and as a consequence games became much more detailed and realistic looking.

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 03:59:52 pm »
Ye i renember the old good times when a game was 300mb than in 2000-2003 games were 700bm,1CD 2cd maximum were 3 cd's and now... lol any new games is +3.5gb not to talk about +10gb games :o !! but some people cant make it so fast with hardware and computer parts. :/
i wish the game industry would make games lighter ,i mean make games that weight 5gb today to make them weight 700mb or less :) .
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:01:42 pm »
With graphics being a major concern for the average gamer these days, that takes up a lot of space. That and games mostly becoming more open-ended and sandbox-esque (if not totally sandbox). People are no longer happy with your run-of-the-mill RPG or shooter or what have you, they are mixing genres like never before as well. You can't have a straightforward game and hope to compete nowadays, which is too bad. I had more fun playing Chronotrigger DS than any other game lately. But then, some companies (especially working with Nintendo) are going "backward". Example.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:09:13 pm »
Who cares? I have 2 hard drives that make up in total 380GB, and I still have 270GB free... I just don't care about it.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:30:37 am »
External hard drives can give you a lot of extra space, you can put a sizeable music collection on a 16GB USB stick too.  Some people even use C: drive purely for games and have bigger, cheaper, but slower drivess for "storage"

Player since late 2007

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 07:16:12 am »
Sandbox games like Battlefield 1942 started to come out. People wanted more variety and options and so arcade games like COD4 had to up the ante with animation/graphics/collisions and other various eye candy So all games did it. Good graphics started to be a gameplay addition and not just a necessity to run a play a game. Crysis also came out.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:18:03 am by Gnoblar »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 08:26:28 am »
I see lots of truth in everything you guys are saying, but I'm still wondering here; why instead of working on making the games look better, at the cost of higher specs and disk space usage, would they not try and invest in research for new storing methods\compression methods? Why not make it a kick ass game, or even a standard game, but so light that you could play it on a Nokia N70? They've already reached as high video standards as we can ask for, why not make it lighter?
b&

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 08:32:19 am »
That's what they're doing with consoles, PC developers don't really think about peoples specs anymore, they just aim it at "the hardcore market" and make different settings for it. Battlefield Heroes is a breath of fresh air for people like me with a non gaming PC.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 08:35:07 am »
I see lots of truth in everything you guys are saying, but I'm still wondering here; why instead of working on making the games look better, at the cost of higher specs and disk space usage, would they not try and invest in research for new storing methods\compression methods? Why not make it a kick ass game, or even a standard game, but so light that you could play it on a Nokia N70? They've already reached as high video standards as we can ask for, why not make it lighter?
Devs build things for money, only an idiot would build games for a phone.

They build games to the specs of the people who will actually buy them.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50:28 am »
Well said a-4-year-old.

A developer wanting to make phone games should switch to hand-held consoles.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 12:08:52 pm »
Well said a-4-year-old.

A developer wanting to make phone games should switch to hand-held consoles.
Ha! Even hand-held consoles are failing horribly. Sure, maybe a couple good games came out, but that's it..
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 01:44:19 pm »
...hand-held consoles are failing horribly...

Right, because the producers really care about your opinion over the gobs of money they're shoveling in from the casual gaming market.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 02:56:19 pm »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 06:28:32 pm »
b&

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 06:49:12 pm »
I use floppies, best shit for backing up my games and stuff.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 07:17:19 pm »
I use floppies, best shit for backing up my games and stuff.
Joke?