Author Topic: AJAX Lobby Search!  (Read 2434 times)

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
AJAX Lobby Search!
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »
The title is misleading, as it rarely makes asynchronous connections and never uses XML! This is an experiment of mine (made a couple months ago) that I would like to share with everybody.

Any input would be much-appreciated.

http://rr.soldat.pl/jsonexample.php
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
Re: AJAX Lobby Search!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:08:13 pm »
Very interesting. I like it :D gj

I suggest checkboxes for soldat version. If your an owner of numerous servers, including both 1.4.2 servers and 1.5.0 servers, you may wanna see the status of all your servers at one point.

And similar to the http://rr.soldat.pl/ page, I suggest having three options per each filter (all, enabled, and disabled)

Does it update the lobby one time per use, and then filters are applied? or is it just updated at a regular interval and it receives this information from a database? or what? nvm on load

EDIT: something thats not-so-important.. ability to display your stared servers despite all the filters. (single checkbox)
and btw like the star idea :)

EDIT2: one thing relating to the to the name / ip / description search.. i suggest having it actually start filtering after liker .25 to .5 seconds after your last character typed (it lags a bit when typing the first few characters, for me at least)

EDIT3: a cool feature would be to list total number of players per gamemode (so if there is a few servers, but no players, you don't waste your time clicking on it :P)

EDIT4: a small suggestion is to include the port after the ip so: <server-name/> (123.45.67.89:12345) instead of just having the IP alone (makes it easier to go there if you already have Soldat open)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:47:43 pm by DorkeyDear »

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:11:40 am »
Yep, nice work. slightly brighter 'theme' perhaps?

Offline rayanaga

• Soldier
  • ~Fur flying~
    • Kryonex
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:54 pm »
Wow! Really nice work! *bookmarked*
[kY] Kryonex - Your local zombie fanatics.
http://www.kryonex.com/

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:44:15 pm »
Very nice, I like the star feature. Would it be possible to add what the server ping would be? I haven't seen that on rr.soldat.pl either.

Offline rayanaga

• Soldier
  • ~Fur flying~
    • Kryonex
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »
Very nice, I like the star feature. Would it be possible to add what the server ping would be? I haven't seen that on rr.soldat.pl either.

It would most likely be the Ajax server's ping I'm guessin. The server might be in Australia so it would show up a horrible ping to a US server. Unless there is a way to ping clientside to each server. :D
[kY] Kryonex - Your local zombie fanatics.
http://www.kryonex.com/

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:21:49 am »
OH!, this makes it super easy to find the server i'm looking for. TY!!!!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:41:20 am »

There is no simple or feasible way to show pings.  Ping is specific per-client, there is no good way to do this in a website.  It would probably have to use Java or something to load an application or something that can ping the servers and display it.  That's overkill for what the lobby website is intended for.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:55:55 am »

There is no simple or feasible way to show pings.  Ping is specific per-client, there is no good way to do this in a website.  It would probably have to use Java or something to load an application or something that can ping the servers and display it.  That's overkill for what the lobby website is intended for.

Actually EH found a way of determining ping using normal Javascript. Or so he told me.
There are other worlds than these