Author Topic: Possible end to polybugs?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Ragnaros

• Soldier
Re: Possible end to polybugs?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 08:42:24 am »
Yeah, you solve one problem but create another one that's 50 times greater - Updating all the old maps ;)

Update old maps. Or remake them. Only OLD not SUPER OLD or NECRO maps. Problem solved. :D

I think that is a price everyone would be able to accept.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:45:33 am by Ragnaros »

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 10:21:00 am »
This topic seemed to explode while I was sleeping :P.  Bloo as a climber myself I'm well aware that a handful of maps would become useless if this were implemented.  I must say that an equal or probably greater amount of climbing maps would be more playable/enjoyable if they no longer bugged the player.  Annoying steep ramps that used to bounce you off before you gained momentum would no longer do so.

That being said, I think making the Force limit changeable is the better approach - it spares both the climbing community (larger than you think!) and the "regular map" players from the small annoyances each side has pointed out.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 11:16:04 am »
Some people won't call you elite or pro if you don't at least know poly bugs and other stuff on default maps. ;/
b&

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 06:52:59 pm »
Update old maps. Or remake them. Only OLD not SUPER OLD or NECRO maps. Problem solved. :D

You do it. Most of us don't have hundreds of hours to spare. ;)

Bloo as a climber myself I'm well aware that a handful of maps would become useless if this were implemented.  I must say that an equal or probably greater amount of climbing maps would be more playable/enjoyable if they no longer bugged the player.  Annoying steep ramps that used to bounce you off before you gained momentum would no longer do so.

Handful? I think there are a few more than that, Pops. Nor do I think getting rid of polybugs would make them any better. Polybugs are just as much a part of Soldat as backflipping, cannon balling and crouch bugging. As I've said, they are an equal advantage to anyone that plays - If you know how to use them. If you don't, it's something for you to learn.

Taking them away entirely will ruin Soldat, no doubt about it.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »
You make it seem like I'm trying to utterly demolish the game I've spent years playing :P.  I know the importance of polybugging as a movement feature, but keeping it solely for that reason would be to ignore the uglier side of the bug - the annoying one that hinders movement and is unreliable.  How often do you get bounced the exact height you want?

Hell, we could just make climbing its own game-mode and keep the polybounces there.  Its long overdue, since I would bet a lot of money that climbing is a more popular mode than Rambomatch, Pointmatch, and Hold-the-flag combined.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 08:01:33 pm »
You make it seem like I'm trying to utterly demolish the game I've spent years playing :P.

Well, considering the title of this thread is 'Possible end to polybugs?', it's not hard to assume that :P

Hell, we could just make climbing its own game-mode and keep the polybounces there.  Its long overdue, since I would bet a lot of money that climbing is a more popular mode than Rambomatch, Pointmatch, and Hold-the-flag combined.

I kind-of agree, but we all know that won't happen. Additionally, having settings specifically for climbing built-in to Soldat might end up ruining it unless they were fully customisable, in which case they may as well just do what Wannas said; "Well the obvious solution is to make the limit on Normal Reaction force modifiable."

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 08:10:08 pm »
Well, considering the title of this thread is 'Possible end to polybugs?', it's not hard to assume that :P
Rawr :( note it's "Possible end to POLYBUGS", not "Possible Soldacalypse: The End of Days" :P

Our outlooks are simply different.  I think it will help, you think it won't, that's all - the only way we can know for sure is if it is tested.  That's all that I want Bloo :).  A modifiable reaction force wouldn't hurt anyone, they could just change it back to the original setting if they didn't like it :P

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 08:16:12 pm »
Our outlooks are simply different.  I think it will help, you think it won't, that's all - the only way we can know for sure is if it is tested.  That's all that I want Bloo :).  A modifiable reaction force wouldn't hurt anyone, they could just change it back to the original setting if they didn't like it :P

I would be fine with modifiable, just not completely removing it. :p

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:20 pm »
Then we can kiss and make up then?  :-* :-* :-*

Until I prove I'm right... [retard]

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 08:32:53 pm »
I'm happy to make up/out with you any time.

But you'll never be right... :-[

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:08 am »
Nah, believe me it's not worth the work, and would simply mess up the used to gameplay for most soldat fans. If you absolutely have to do it, (I still don't support it though.) then make it a server option. Maybe it will take off well and gather some fans, but most would still like it with the poly bugs better.
b&

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 08:05:27 am »
Nah, believe me it's not worth the work, and would simply mess up the used to gameplay for most soldat fans. If you absolutely have to do it, (I still don't support it though.) then make it a server option. Maybe it will take off well and gather some fans, but most would still like it with the poly bugs better.

Suck it, Pop. :P

Offline |_ancer

• Soldier
  • again and again.
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 05:44:13 am »
Polybug is useful for bugging maps but it's bad for HnS fans. When I run, sometimes I get the polybounce which wrecks slows us down immensely leading to death. I support and don't support which probably makes me neutral.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 09:25:33 pm »
Been making a map a few days ago. That's when I truly realised how annoying polybugs are. Had to spend a lot of time just to overlap polygons in critical spots and fix the shading after that.

So many years after Soldat has been made, and they haven't been fixed. Honestly, I can't imagine what's so hard about fixing them.

And I don't see how polybugs can be fun (except bounce polys, which are made on purpose by mappers). People either get accidentally stuck 5 meters below ground, or do it on purpose just cause they're bored. But this usually results in disturbing gameplay for others (boosting flagger into ground, or simply goofing off instead of helping your team)

Make a bouncy polygon type. Problem solved. :D
That is exactly what I thought of, but I already smell the "no map format changes" comment..
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:28:41 pm by L[0ne]R »