Author Topic: Soldat polyworks update  (Read 6261 times)

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
Soldat polyworks update
« on: July 02, 2009, 08:50:26 am »
Me and my clanmate fryer are working on an update for Polyworks(mainly fryer so most credit to him)
Anyways here is what we are planning we are seeking input on what to add to it.
  • Installer so no more bugging with regsvr32 etc for vista
  • Support for gif scenery
  • snap selected vertices(look here)
  • predefined shapes polys
  • teleport/owt support

so got any ideas or other input please let us know.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:11:51 pm by zakath »

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
Re: Soldat polyworks update
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:06:23 am »
An UPDATE? Zoh no!
I will miss that vista bug. That gave me hours of enjoyment.

I thought of something a while ago. I dunno if it's possible.

A draw poly feature.
So you just draw something, press 'fill', then 'convert to poly'.
Just like any paint program.

It's kinda far-fetch. But with the age we live in, it wouldn't exactly be impossible.

Another idea, probably more useful, or better yet, code-able.

Have a list of premade polys. Certain shapes.
Circles are a pain to make circular.
Also squares, rectangles, yeah, you know your shapes.
With a slider, to make them bigger or smaller.

I dunno how useful it would be.

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:11:58 am »
F4||3N: Drawing polygons like that would be kinda hard to implement i think. That second idea sounds good though, maybe i'll do that.  :)
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Colonel ONeill

• Major
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:02 am »
I think it exists but not on polyworks so woult it be possible to implement the "one way poly" (we can go through a poly only in one direction) and perhaps the thing that teleports you :q

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:14 am »
I think a Shape tool would be pretty useful actually.  Some simple options like "specify # of sides, then specify centerpoint" would do the trick I think  :).

Anyway, I think it would be nice if you could hide scenery based on layer.  Would make customs easier to make I think :P

To go a step further (this will probably be impossible to code but its just an idea :P), perhaps a "Create scenery with selected" option... like if you have a group of scenery all in the front layer, Solidworks will compile them into one picture and save it to your scenery folder as a .png.  It could also work with polygons, like if you use them to make mountains or whatever, instead of taking them to photoshop and converting there, PW could do it.

I'll think of more later  [retard]

For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:55 am »
I think it exists but not on polyworks so woult it be possible to implement the "one way poly" (we can go through a poly only in one direction) and perhaps the thing that teleports you :q
Reference for those who want it: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=33508
This would be a nice feature to see implemented. (if its in the map format, it should be modifiable)

The filler bytes in a map (the useless once) may be of custom-use to somebody, and it would be nice to modify each one individually without a separate application.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 01:30:32 pm »
Kudos for this update.

I remember when Anna announced a year ago that she would give PW .gif support... nothing happened since.  Hahaha.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 01:32:25 pm »
To go a step further (this will probably be impossible to code but its just an idea :P), perhaps a "Create scenery with selected" option... like if you have a group of scenery all in the front layer, Solidworks will compile them into one picture and save it to your scenery folder as a .png.  It could also work with polygons, like if you use them to make mountains or whatever, instead of taking them to photoshop and converting there, PW could do it.
I think I might be able to do that in a later version. Hiding scenery by layer also seems like a good idea so I'll see if I can put that in somehow. :P
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 02:31:16 pm »
Some updates, the installer is finished. Should make the hassle of using polyworks on vista easier. It also includes the updated default scenery list.
You can download it here
if you want the files to make the installer you can get them here I am using Nullsoft Scriptable Install System for the installer. you can get the install toolkit here
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:32:49 pm by zakath »

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 04:23:34 pm »
I wish you put all effort to fix animation gif, if it works, release it. After that you could continue adding cool stuff.

In future, I would see multitexturing tool:

1st you select area from texture, which you want to use

2nd you just fix the texture and it uses only area you selected.

That way we could make perfect multitexturing easier (no need for dark maps). It propably isn't easy task to do though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:25:07 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 05:29:21 pm »
I know this is kind of asking for much, but an auto-update feature maybe after all the other higher priority requests?

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:39:58 am »
"Snap selected vertices" function preview:

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 03:44:13 am »
How about just a paint feature.
For those who have artistic skills.

It could mean less scenery, and possibly less lag. =D
With a couple of different brush styles.
Similar to the draw thing already on it.
Just make it in-game visible, if possible.

The problem is, no uber-useful things are possible without actually reformatting Soldat itself.
For example, I was told two completely different textures on the one map is impossible without actually changing Soldat. =[

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 04:35:50 am »
I would like to see a scenery tool / option. You select any polygons or scenery, use the tool and save it into the scenery folder with background transparency. This would be awesome since you could downgrade the scenery objects rapidly AND you wouldn´t be just able to do scenery of the things that appear on one desktop.

The light tool should be upgraded. It should brighten the polygon sides that are going towards it and shade the ones that are behind the light just as if there was a real light source.

There should be also a upgrade for the polygon selecting tool. You should be able to hold the left mouse button and select everything that you roll over. Same for the vertice tool.

I did not got till now what the Depth Map tool is, include a better description in the help file if possible.

Maybe there should be a tool that is able to create specific objects. You open a menu in wich you can select which kind of geometrical shape you want to have, the size, color, color gradient and such things and then insert the object on a map.

You should be able to open more than one map at one time. In addition there should be a "Copy selection to clipboard" function so that you don´t need to do a prefab to export polygons and scenery from one map to an other.

I hope you might consider about taking some of my suggestions into your project, I ´d like to see some of this stuff in :)

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 05:08:21 am »
Oh I know. There should be a "Download" button, and sceneries, textures and such should automatically download every new item in the achieve.

They could be hosted on one of the many soldat or map sites.

But not every single scenery or texture ever made, just the best hand picked ones should go in the achieve.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 05:25:11 am »
Holy shit. Smile

You make PW up-to-date, and I'll throw a few polygons together again, just for the fun of it. Fryer be awesome.

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 01:40:08 pm »
Neeews: I successfully imlemented gif support to polyworks!
Prepare yourselves for the first update...  ;)

Offline MShinoda

• Major(1)
    • The Spectrum
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 01:41:26 pm »
Great work! That makes me want to map!
.phx .bot+ {B}{H} NS - nv` .dfa s/0][ /HS/- </ sk:// `SL - c'n's R7. |LP| Slams&Jams-

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:22 am »
I was actually trying to add .gif support myself last year, but failed due to my still lack of knowledge with directx and BASIC. I was actually thinking of making a sort of separate map editor (in another language), where rather than being a full blown map editor, all you could do was place animated sceneries. Then one could map as usual in PW and just use the second stand-alone editor to place and add anims. I would also put in a preview feature, so one could view the completed map with all the anims going.

If you could do something like that right now, I'd bend down and kiss your boots. Then you could spend a more time on making a really good PW update (if you want to spend more time).

It would help if I paid attention to other threads. Just saw today, PW update released with .gif support. Please excuse my laziness and lack of attention.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:00:47 am by Snow »
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet