Author Topic: Server Idea: Realistic Mountain Climbing.  (Read 9068 times)

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
Re: Server Idea: Realistic Mountain Climbing.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 04:21:55 pm »
I'll be honest, I don't want any medics or "healing" polygons, but occasional camps on long ass mountain trails would be great. Of course medic packs in these camps would be sparse, with only 4 med kits spread along the entire map. It'd be okay to have ONE /heal, since if you're going to climb a mountain irl, you're probably going to bring something to fix your wounds. But I'm thinking it should only fix half health instead of magically repair you to full fitness.

I don't think there should be any scripts that enforce teams or anything. I believe we should leave it up to the mapper to design either a pit that bravo is stuck in, or if they want a race map with teams spawned on other sides. Scripts should only add to realism, let the mappers decide the game type.

Save is not an option in my opinion. I mean, the only thing that can kill you is falling from a height. Besides, mountain climbing in real life is usually a big feat, so this should at least virtually recreate the sensation of accomplishment. This would be added to the fact that I would rather have only 10 well detailed, well crafted maps than 50 half-assed ones, and if there's only 10 massive summits people have to climb, then they should be long and fairly complicated to climb. Then people can add to their list of mountains they've climbed. "Have you climbed _____?" "Hell no, that place is insane, I've only scaled Brun's Summit". People would be building portfolios of mountains they've climbed if they're respectable, but if it's just 100 easy maps, map names will easily be forgotten and no one would care if you scaled this rock or that rock or respect the effort it takes to climb this or that mountain.

There could be a "group" mode, where you all have to reach the summit to be able to score. I've seen something like this in a mission soldat thing where you all had to be by the flag for someone to score.

Another thing I wanted to add: if you're going to make a map or edit a map, don't do any fruity trick jumps, like you have to run for a mile then do 20 backflips over death spikes or something. The fanciest this is going to get it backflipping up sides of mountains, which replaces "scaling with ropes", and jumping over massive crevices with little room to run. This isn't meant to be high speed as there's an element of caution added to this.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:43:38 pm by _Why »

Offline Shinobars

• Major
    • SoldatRS Forums
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 04:34:02 pm »
Sounds amazing, actually. It's like a tougher version of Climbing, and with more thought out moves than tricky ones.

I pretty much agree with everything Why said. o:

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 02:32:47 am »
it should only fix half health instead of magically repair you to full fitness.
/heal will only be usable once per respawn and will only heal 60% of the life. I'll set up an exxagerate damage script, too, I just need some more time, i'm still a noob with scripts after all.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 03:25:13 am »
it should only fix half health instead of magically repair you to full fitness.
/heal will only be usable once per respawn and will only heal 60% of the life. I'll set up an exxagerate damage script, too, I just need some more time, i'm still a noob with scripts after all.

Right on.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 04:59:16 am »
What about groups now, you could do it with a buddy system, too and just 2 slots.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 05:12:22 am »
What about groups now, you could do it with a buddy system, too and just 2 slots.

If it's possible, there could be a mIRC buddy match up. You say !groupclimb, and an IRC bot adds you to a slot. You and one other person join a private climbing server and climb up together.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 05:24:17 am »
PST: New demo map up @ Mountain Climber's Demo Server. Watch your step...

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 06:41:32 am »
That map is a hell of a challenging one... You still need a volcano and a iceberg themed one.

Give me ideas about the script, mostly /slash commands for the player. /heal command already works properly. I'd expect another idea, at least.

Offline -Zombie-

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:48 am »
That map is a hell of a challenging one...
Indeed, but that's what makes it so good. You really gotta fix those poly bugs, they were the things that made the map so hard.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 07:32:18 am »
I am currently fixing the whole map

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 07:52:06 am »
Stick with the current layout, it's simply awesome. And there are jumps that look like they can't be done without luck.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 12:59:45 pm »
Well, I made a sketch of the map and I am working currently on a good polygon structure (I am making EVERYTHING new, I deleted the buggy old polygons).

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 01:46:10 pm »
Scripted Climbing server, with Medic, AutoHealing, Healing Kit, /save and /load, and luckily some more stuff. We'll see by the time what features are good/bad and we'll remove/add them as the time goes on.

81.44.181.242:23073 <- This is a home server, and I have dynamic IP, so tomorrow it won't be the same IP, however, I'll try to set it up in another computer I have, so it can be, more or less, 24/7.

Offline Vermithrax

• Major
  • Noob
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 02:41:47 pm »
212.83.42.59 : 23075

I host now the scripted server 24/7/365 so go on with mapping :)...

And if there any bug's tell it Niko, i think he will fix it :).

[EDIT] I think the auto heal should be only for 60% of youre health, for one time, and you have to standt still for 10seconds...[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:47:56 pm by Vermithrax »
English mark: 6 ^^...

typing errors are special effects! :)

All servers are offline!

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »
I set a server too :). Maybe Niko will upload these script on my server.

IP : 94.23.48.10
Port : 23080

DarkCrusade

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:20 am »
There are, wait, let me count, 4 SERVERS for this gamemode right now? Amazing speed :)

I won´t be able to finish this map today, but I guess it will be tommorow or the day after tommorow to do all the polygons I need for this map. Should there be a safe spot maybe?

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 12:39:23 am »
There are, wait, let me count, 4 SERVERS for this gamemode right now? Amazing speed :)

I won´t be able to finish this map today, but I guess it will be tommorow or the day after tommorow to do all the polygons I need for this map. Should there be a safe spot maybe?

Are you making a new map or working on The Devil's Cleft?

Also, game footage :x

http://vimeo.com/5485739

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:20 am »
Gotta get an account to see the video?  :/
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 12:42:34 am »
Gotta get an account to see the video?  :/

Augh, I took off privacy. It shouldn't be doing that. Hold on.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 12:47:35 am »
Much better, and a much clearer idea of the general idea :o
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.