Author Topic: Broken Computer :(  (Read 1298 times)

Offline S4R

• Major
Broken Computer :(
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:12:55 am »
So, last week my power went out, and to my amazement I turned my computer back on to get "a disk read error occured, Press ctrl+alt+del to restart." Ok, well eMachines, I'll restart for you! Oh, but no, this piece of sh*t computer keeps giving me this error. So, I'm thinking, "you know what, I'll give it a good rubdown, get it all clean, and leave it off for a day or two! (Which has actually worked in the past)" BUT NO, I open my BIOS settings, and now its says there's no harddrive, wtf??? I've tried putting in my Vista CD, and recorvery CD, all that stuff. I've had it just under two years, COME ON.

Here's my crappy computer specs n' sh*t

Is there anything I can do to get my computer working again, or am I f*cked?

Offline CatGirl

• Major(1)
Re: Broken Computer :(
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:33:08 am »
I know that some of this motherboards have same problems when overcloack is  somewhere between 700-1500mhz. Try looking in bios in advanced cpu options and turn it off. if no, try searching for more help :(

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:27:49 am »
Power outages can fry HDD's afaik, or other various things in a computer if you're unlucky.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:13 am »
buy a new hdd?

Offline [SIRS]Foxconn^^2012

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:41:29 am »
yep, i could say the same.

Or buy another computer...maybe Acer Aspire M3610? ^^

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:47:09 am »
get the hollow end of the power cable and blow into it

if that doesnt work remove the motherboard and rub it really quickly with the palm of your hands. that will charge it

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:54:19 am »
Try a replacement HD and make sure nothing else is broken. If that works fine then buy a new one, if it doesn't then you're going to have to find out what is broken and replace it.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:36:23 pm »
You could try a Linux Live CD.
Maybe you have some important data left and it's still possible to rescue some of it (on an USB stick or external HDD).

I had fun with my Vista partition after a driver was corrupted and I rebooted (got BOSDs every time I booted after that).
Fixing the HDD with windows Vista repair stuff didn't help and took two hours. But I could access it when I booted from another HDD.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:09:30 pm »
The problem here is that the BIOS can not recognize the hard disk. There can be several reasons, for example broken hard disk or broken IDE/SATA controller on the motherboard.

What you can do, is to open the case and locate the hard disk, unplug the cables and remove the disk, then plug it to another computer and see if the disk works. If it does work, the problem is in your computer's other hardware. If the disk does not work, it means that the disk itself is broken.

You can also just buy another hard disk and try if it works. However, chances are that the motherboard is broken and you'd need to get new motherboard. Basically it's easiest to get completely new computer.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 07:30:49 pm »
I'm gonna go with something got fried when the power came back on. Either the motherboard or the actual HDD. I suggest you follow Clawbug's advice.

Offline S4R

• Major
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:48 pm »
oh well. I'm thinking about saving a little for the new Averatec D1005. I really love this computer, and I pretty much need it for Illustrator/Photoshop. I'm thinking of waiting for Black Friday, or maybe after Christmas for some deals. any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:45:46 pm by S4R »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:12 pm »
Here's a good site for stuff like this.

Edit:

Ahem, it appears the site is broken... forever.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:32:40 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Konf1ikt

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:58:43 pm »
Here's a good site for stuff like this.

I gotta say, that website is freakin' amazing.
I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to.