Author Topic: Looking for climbing map mappers for a realistic mountain climbing map.  (Read 4118 times)

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
I'm looking for mappers to create climbing maps for my mountain climbing server. Must resemble mountain like terrain, no death polygons, steep, short cliffs, etc.

To get an idea of what I mean, I made a very poor map as an idea. You can play it at outcry.u13.net / 30121

DarkCrusade

Well, I could probably redo your own map with much better looks and without any polybugs (I tested it).

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Well, I could probably redo your own map with much better looks and without any polybugs (I tested it).
screw the looks, just fix the polybugs.

DarkCrusade

Well, I will release a version without polybugs first and then work on the looks :P

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Don't overload the map with uber-kick-ass looks like. that will suck.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Realistic climbing is a fail idea since you can prevent falling damage with late backflips.
I'd love to see you doing that. I bet you never played the map.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)

DarkCrusade: The most important thing is fixing the bugged polygons, but after you do that, I would absolutely love it for you to make it resemble a mountain as well as possible. You can put as much time into shading and decorating as you want. In my opinion, the more realistic, the better, and that includes graphics.

If you've ever seen those CS or Trenchwar maps, that's the level of detail I'd like.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:34:35 pm by _Why »

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Realistic climbing is a fail idea since you can prevent falling damage with late backflips.

He's right though, I tested the map myself.  A late backflip at the right time can prevent all of the damage done by falling :P You'll probably have to script the damage in somehow.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)

He's right though, I tested the map myself.  A late backflip at the right time can prevent all of the damage done by falling :P You'll probably have to script the damage in somehow.

The late backflip is only possible if you intentionally jump off with the knowledge that you're going to do a backflip.
If you make one wrong move when jumping, you're going to fall off a ledge before you have time to set up a backflip.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
Good point LOL :P  Doubt any of your climbers will be purposefully jump off ledges with that intention... didn't really think of that :)  I didn't really encounter any jumps that would be possible with that latejump hop, so there'd be no reason to even try it :D problem solved.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Yes, but for some, it's already a habit to have a delayed backflip jump prepared upon landing, just because they feel more secure that way.

Habit beats overpreparedness.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
Yes, but for some, it's already a habit to have a delayed backflip jump prepared upon landing, just because they feel more secure that way.

Habit beats overpreparedness.

Those jumps you're talking about are straight across jumps, which seldom exist in these maps. A lot of these jumps are small and ascending upwards, so if you don't backflip, you're going to miss the ledge, so the point in holding the backflip without releasing "out of caution" is moot. However, if you DO make the jump, which you're very likely to do since they're not very wide jumps, there's a high chance you'll still fall off the cliff, and thus you won't be doing any backflip when you slip and fall down that 500 foot crevice.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:51:39 pm by _Why »

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Good point LOL :P  Doubt any of your climbers will be purposefully jump off ledges with that intention...
of course, because the point of climbing is to reach the top, not the bottom...

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
So basically you want a platformer styled map.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
He wants maps like this one:

(Notice the minimap, too)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Wow, that map looks terrible compared to what I was thinking.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
whatever, it has a few nice climbs in there...

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
Wow, that map looks terrible compared to what I was thinking.

I'm no mapper. ;)

Now you realize why I made this thread.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
What I meant to say was that the climbing looks terrible. I didn't really take into the account the aesthetics.

Edit:

Terrible, like, if you fell it would suck... I guess what I really meant to convey was that it looks difficult :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:22:59 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
What I meant to say was that the climbing looks terrible. I didn't really take into the account the aesthetics.

Oh, well, like Niko said, there's a few good jumps here and there. It just needs to be debugged, shaded, and decorated.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
And polyfixed. I don't remember how many times I got stuck in a poly or bounced. It looked like I was climbing the "Rubber mountain".

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
When I pictured this map, I pictured cliffs and canyons...

^click^

guess I wasn't thinking "mountain." Now just imagine parallax scrolling and moving clouds..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:56:48 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
When I pictured this map, I pictured cliffs and canyons...

^click^

guess I wasn't thinking "mountain." Now just imagine parallax scrolling and moving clouds..

Canyons would be awesome, as well. In fact, any type of rock scaling would be great. Those platforms are really big, though.

Offline -Zombie-

• Camper
_Why, I actually enjoyed playing the map on your server.

I'll try to make you a map for your server, but I can't garrunty that it will be finished.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
_Why, I actually enjoyed playing the map on your server.

I'll try to make you a map for your server, but I can't garrunty that it will be finished.

Right on. Also, just letting you know, but your post count 404'd.

Offline _Why

• Major(1)
PST: New demo map up @ Mountain Climber's Demo Server. Watch your step...

Offline MetsuriTossavainen

• Camper
  • The Chainsaw Wizard
He wants maps like this one:

(Notice the minimap, too)

Man, this ain't for noobs. Gotta try it when I get new computer.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Polybugs are all what ruins this gamemode.

I set up an alternative server to try out the scripts. Join at 81.44.181.242:23073

It's a home server and I'm currently shutting it down, changing things in the script and so on, but if someone joins I wont shut it down. I hope having it up for the next days, at least sometimes.