Author Topic: Demo Review  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Ratman

• Major(1)
Demo Review
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:12:37 pm »
Too many hackers still in the game. Is there anywhere where we can send in a demo for review by the community as a whole? Perhaps even in this thread? Anyone can submit and anyone can have a say as well. However, it would be nice to have some of the devs or elder players have a say as well..

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Re: Demo Review
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:40 am »
"Is this a hack or a bug?"

I hate this uncertainity. This is actually the most annoying thing I find in Soldat at the very moment. Nearly every time I play I get to the moment when I ask myself the same questions. How did he accelerate himself at that certain moment? Is a speed hack or I lack movement skills? Was that shot a luck or I was aimboted? That bullet/nade was 100% deadly - how could he survive it?

I know it's not always the case that a player cheats. I was few times assumed as having "more life than others".

Lack of anti-cheat in Soldat is its greatest problem at the very moment in my opinion and should be prioritized over new sceneries etc.

Offline Ratman

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:08:54 pm »
Well said, and that is exactly why I started this thread. The opinions of many would atleast shed some light on how others see a potentional "hack". Anti-cheat is desperatly needed, the most active servers are the ones overridden with hackers and theyre not so easy to catch. The ones that dont use blatant reload or boosts are the hardest to catch and will continue to be difficult.

I doubt we'll get anticheat anytime soon until the game gets to a point where something like steam or a bigger platform is possible. Until then, it is up to the community to help each other out.

"Is this a hack or a bug?"

I hate this uncertainity. This is actually the most annoying thing I find in Soldat at the very moment. Nearly every time I play I get to the moment when I ask myself the same questions. How did he accelerate himself at that certain moment? Is a speed hack or I lack movement skills? Was that shot a luck or I was aimboted? That bullet/nade was 100% deadly - how could he survive it?

I know it's not always the case that a player cheats. I was few times assumed as having "more life than others".

Lack of anti-cheat in Soldat is its greatest problem at the very moment in my opinion and should be prioritized over new sceneries etc.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:20:52 pm »
Believe me we've tried.

I don't think it's a must have according to the devs due to regular updates and stuff, however even that is not realised so in the end we've got nothing.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:34 am »
If there was an accurate mouse pointer in the demo viewer, and some logics check (player speed), I don't think anyone could really hack in the game, as it'd be pretty obvious.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:54 pm »
If there was an accurate mouse pointer in the demo viewer, and some logics check (player speed), I don't think anyone could really hack in the game, as it'd be pretty obvious.
Feeding demos with more data would be nice.

I thought once about software that would analyze the demo data in order to find some anomalies. This maybe could work real time as an anti-cheat? Only thing that worries me are these lag/bug weird things. This could be hard for an algorithm to distinguish between.

Offline NiCeShOoT|GuY

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:52:56 am »
Not trying to be harsh and stuff, just that

I'm curious about how cheater are able to manipulate movements and else.
Assuming that the program running on server doesn't rely on client-side Soldat software to calculate player's movement, but to receive player keyboard input and calculate what happen next in the game loop on server-side and send result back to clients.
If so cheaters won't able to manipulate data on client-side and sent fake movement data back to server-side to cheat the game engine theoretically.

The hacks I tried in the past are manipulation of data stored in memory, nothing but cheat engine type hack.
So I would guess leaving game loop calculations on client-side enables so many hackers we're seeing nowadays.

If the above are true, then it might be a good idea to try migrate most important calculations to server-side.
Like movements and firing ammos.

Update:
after thinking a little deeper, there might be few obstacles to calculate on server-side considering:
1.unstable ping issue
2.not as responsive as local game (big problem)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:00:12 am by NiCeShOoT|GuY »