Author Topic: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?  (Read 110994 times)

Offline kasus20

• Major(1)
Re: Soldat is dying, and you know it.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »
nub its not dieying it looks strong to me  :)
shotgun best choice against zombies

Offline Gortaak

• Camper
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »
Wow, glad to see someone older than me that plays soldat! Keep chuggin away snow! Im only 26, heh. And ya, the public scene has dwindled a little bit, but Im glad not every server is a retarded wm server with a socom that shoots missles. Those are dumb. But, the gather/competetive side of soldat is going strong, all though the na community is getting smaller, the competetive side in general is still going strong though. Just hop on irc on quakenet, and join #fractured, #sna.gather, #soldat.gather or #aus.gather for tons of soldat action.
Image removed, please read the forum rules. <--- wee i dont care
 -Grishnak -Insurgent -Atrophy

.:*DETH*:.

Offline Map Artist

• Major(1)
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 02:25:52 pm »
All games, and I mean all games face a population decline over time.  It's a natural process for a game and how the world works. 

Yes, the population has decreased, mostly due to most players are becoming older and have more important things to face in life and no longer have the time and motivation to remain here.  Most due however stop by here and there, but just don't play.

As for servers, with scripting possible, subgamemode servers have become more popular that traditional CTF or DM.  Most people shift between servers.  I used to play only U13 CTF and now I'm all time [eC] TW and !Elite Zombie player.  I changed because traditional CTF became boring and I wanted to try something new for a while.  Ever since I've been hooked.

This game will eventually die, it's inevitable.  It'll be a very long time from now.  However, I can see that the Link-Dead community will consist of most of the current Soldat community. 
It lurks in the deep, waiting for the perfect moment to strike...

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
Just posting to say that I knew this was going to be a miketh2005 topic before I even read it, and that was enough to stop me from doing so.

Move along, folks. Even if he's not a troll, he's dumb enough that arguing rationally will have roughly the same effect.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Sgt. Fletcher

• Major(1)
  • Travis Bickle
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 05:49:31 pm »
I returned to playing Soldat after about a year-long hiatus and not only noticed how crappy I was at the game (or are others just so much more skilled than before?) and how the game itself doesn't have the activity it did before, but not once have I had a moment where I just don't find a reasonable server which actually occurred occasionally when we had all of those modded specific sub-servers. Anyway, I did kind of get the feeling Soldat has been through a strong loss of players since last year. What's funny though is that now people don't chat at all, and even if they do it's in Turkish, Polish or some other foreign language. Come on, verbal communication is fun in a run'n'gun game like Soldat as well.  ::)
I'm gonna have me some fun!

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »
Ehhh, STM pretty much pointed out my problem with soldat, the fucked up location, I'm an Arab who lives in Jordan, come on people how do you think am I gonna get my hands on a server? ...
Anyways, pub soldat is truly dying, servers are all modded, and those that aren't are empty. So he's got a point, and we should do something about it.
Also, the new gen players, the so called "newbs" have nowadays gained an even bigger tendency to become "noobs", really fast. And so even if you do find a decent server, chances are it will be full of assholes and kids, who play to insult.
b&

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 06:21:37 pm »
Just posting to say that I knew this was going to be a miketh2005 topic before I even read it, and that was enough to stop me from doing so.

Move along, folks. Even if he's not a troll, he's dumb enough that arguing rationally will have roughly the same effect.

You last sentence didn't make sense, as it was not a proper sentence. Whose the dumb one now? And read the thread before posting. The majority of people agree with me.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 01:39:09 am »

You last sentence didn't make sense, as it was not a proper sentence. Whose the dumb one now?.

it didnt before, but now it makes perfect sense :P

btw, soldat isnt dying, stop overdramatizing
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:16 am »
How about you guys take this as a wakeup call, stop whining, and get your asses into pubs and gathers?

Making a topic about Soldat dying doesn't help anything at all and might actually push people away.
There are other worlds than these

Offline MadDog

• Major(1)
  • Niiiiiighhhht Proooowwwllaaa
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 06:58:22 am »
Everybody and everything eventually dies, that is an undeniable fact.

Even games die. For example, how many people on the face of the Earth do you think still play Goldeneye 007 on Nintendo? The old Nintendo...

In 20 years, how many people do you think will still play the Halo trilogy? Today it's one of the greatest series. Perhaps the greatest. Not in 20 years, though.

If Soldat dies, then soldat dies. One of the great things about Soldat is that it's so easy and fun to alter and modify. But even that will get old.

Soldat had a great run for a small, 2-D game. MM should be proud, but hell, even Old Yeller died.
Jules: "Describe what Marsellus Wallace- looks like!"
Brett: "What?"
Jules: Say "what" again! Say "WHAT" again! I dare you! I Double-Dare you motha-[******]! Say "what" one more god-d**n time!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01:46 am »

Even games die. For example, how many people on the face of the Earth do you think still play Goldeneye 007 on Nintendo? The old Nintendo...

In 20 years, how many people do you think will still play the Halo trilogy? Today it's one of the greatest series. Perhaps the greatest. Not in 20 years, though.

If Soldat dies, then soldat dies. One of the great things about Soldat is that it's so easy and fun to alter and modify. But even that will get old.

Soldat had a great run for a small, 2-D game. MM should be proud, but hell, even Old Yeller died.

I must be insane for still playing the remakes of the original Mario/Donkey Kong game on my GBA SP, and for still loving the games for the SNES and original NES (which came out in like 1985. It's over 20 years old and I still love it.)

Oh gawd someone come up and crucify me for loving old games which have "died." :P
There are other worlds than these

Offline Death-Knight1

• Major
  • >> Decay
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 07:06:06 am »
well its 2009 and coming more and good graffic games good FPS games good mmorpg so people starting to quit soldat and play like FPS or mmo thats how im not even so much interested to soldat anymore because im getting a new computer so i can buy and play finally L4D or KF its like that :(
#Oxid
#Double.impact

Offline MadDog

• Major(1)
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 08:33:35 am »
@jrgp

Yes, once again, I know there are exceptions. That's why I didn't say something like: "In 20 years, absolutely no one will be playing Soldat anymore. If someone is still playing Soldat after 20 years, a mob will kill him."

So, determine all the people who still play those ancient games (yourself included), and then determine all the people who don't, but rather play modern games (i.e. whatever came out in stores at 8:00 AM). It'll be something like 1:10,000 at least.

Questions, comments, concerns?
Jules: Say "what" again! Say "WHAT" again! I dare you! I Double-Dare you motha-[******]! Say "what" one more god-d**n time!

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 09:32:32 am »
@jrgp

Yes, once again, I know there are exceptions. That's why I didn't say something like: "In 20 years, absolutely no one will be playing Soldat anymore. If someone is still playing Soldat after 20 years, a mob will kill him."

So, determine all the people who still play those ancient games (yourself included), and then determine all the people who don't, but rather play modern games (i.e. whatever came out in stores at 8:00 AM). It'll be something like 1:10,000 at least.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Lets see...*installs project64, goes to online n64 community...* there are currently 446 people playing n64 games online. and who knows how many more probably thousands are playing n64 games alone in their own home or with their friends.

Offline MadDog

• Major(1)
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 09:41:25 am »
Good Job!

Now, find out how many people are playing what is considered a modern-day game. 300,000? 600,000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000? 100,000,000?

There are about 6.6+ billion people on the face of the earth. How many play modern video games?

I've heard almost 10 million play Halo 3... alone.

10 million. Now, how many are currently playing Nintendo 64? Wha? Wha-what was that? Four hundred and what? 46? Hmm? Say again?

You're not seriously trying to argue that there are a lot of people who still play N64 compared to the number of people who play modern video games... right?

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:34 am »
Its just what humans use to think....
Don't think like a human...everything will be immortal...
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline MadDog

• Major(1)
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:23 am »
Its just what humans use to think....
Don't think like a human...everything will be immortal...

Don't be too sure. People today have no clue how easily our life can be wiped out. It really doesn't take much. Our sun (that bright, hot thing in the sky) frequently vents out solar flares, which are enormous bursts of energy. If one of them just happens to be aimed at Earth when it erupts, say 'goodbye!' to every electrical and technological gadget, tool, vehicle, and microchip everywhere, 'cause we are goin' back to the stone age. Our recorded history will be erased, except the now-useless buldings.

The only reason why this hasn't happened is 'cause the odds that the solar flare is aimed right at the Earth are very very very low. The entire course and progress of humanity can be reset instantly... it kinda makes you appreciate the basic idea that nothing lasts forever.

And that we need to get our a$$es in outer space and on other planets. ;)

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:29 am »
Doesn't make sense...Humans are one of the most Superior ever made species...if only they will stop being selfish and kill each other for their own fun.
edited:Oh i got a bit offtopic ^^

anyway what i want to say is..
Just look at us...i mean so many s**tty things had happened to soldat and its still a great game...
and so we are here to support it...

well maybe not support but play it like in the old times.. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:16:24 am by pavliko »
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Mallow007

• Major
  • >:3 Rawr
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16:15 pm »
It must be dying because of the BIG AMMOUNT OF BUGS it ha,that easily get new players to lose interest in soldat really quick.

2nd: The lack of publicity & advertising in big web pages like youtube,facebook, etc, Soldat they way  i see it it's a very underground game (i found out about soldat when i was looking for 2D old school PC games...and that's what I'd google.) Maybe be cause if we start to call for attention we'll be getting unwanted ppl and stuff like that, but that's the ONLY way soldat can grow up, by making publicity and announcements of it.

3rd: The expansion of new serves in new areas of the planet (maybe I'm wrong here about the servers but it will be cool to have all different kind of gathers not just Na,Aust, and euro), other thing that may help would be to have  really good admins and soldat programmers (Not just a team of 1 and admins that get u kick out cause you are Mexican or you missspell their names...)

4rd: More standard servers or variation ones like S&S or S&L or Ruger and knife lol(that my opinion cause I'm not in to scripts....)

You just got rick rolleĀ“d!

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2009, 04:13:15 pm »
Good Job!

Now, find out how many people are playing what is considered a modern-day game. 300,000? 600,000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000? 100,000,000?

There are about 6.6+ billion people on the face of the earth. How many play modern video games?

I've heard almost 10 million play Halo 3... alone.

10 million. Now, how many are currently playing Nintendo 64? Wha? Wha-what was that? Four hundred and what? 46? Hmm? Say again?

You're not seriously trying to argue that there are a lot of people who still play N64 compared to the number of people who play modern video games... right?

Of course not. I'm just saying N64 hasn't died.
It must be dying because of the BIG AMMOUNT OF BUGS it ha,that easily get new players to lose interest in soldat really quick.

2nd: The lack of publicity & advertising in big web pages like youtube,facebook, etc, Soldat they way  i see it it's a very underground game (i found out about soldat when i was looking for 2D old school PC games...and that's what I'd google.) Maybe be cause if we start to call for attention we'll be getting unwanted ppl and stuff like that, but that's the ONLY way soldat can grow up, by making publicity and announcements of it.

3rd: The expansion of new serves in new areas of the planet (maybe I'm wrong here about the servers but it will be cool to have all different kind of gathers not just Na,Aust, and euro), other thing that may help would be to have  really good admins and soldat programmers (Not just a team of 1 and admins that get u kick out cause you are Mexican or you missspell their names...)

4rd: More standard servers or variation ones like S&S or S&L or Ruger and knife lol(that my opinion cause I'm not in to scripts....)

I found out about it on Game Informer's Top 10 Games You've Probably never Heard Of. Maybe we can get GI to advertise for us again :P.