Author Topic: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?  (Read 110995 times)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Re: Soldat is dying, and you know it.
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2009, 09:19:54 am »
Enesce made the same mistake as MM did.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2009, 10:35:00 am »
Well, if people would just buy some damn cheap server hosting (49c/player), then they will be supporting soldat and helping it not to die. Click here to buy server hosting / more info.
How is renting servers from you supporting Soldat in any way whatsoever?

If you want to "support" Soldat, rent servers from U13 (as the money actually goes somewhere useful to Soldat as FLAB hosts all of the official sites) and go buy registrations for all your friends.

Because more servers = more players who play soldat. XFactor servers are cheaper than U13, so it's for people who don't have the money and want to buy some servers. Also Cheaper servers = more servers. I for one have a spending limit each month. With the same amount of money I can buy 2 servers instead of one.

Also, I don't own XFactor servers, but I want them to stay in business so that I get a discount on my server bill.

I'm talking about where the money is going. And more servers does not mean more players, as most of the current servers are consistently empty.

It's a real waste of money, soldat can't be saved by more servers, it'll kill it faster. More servers means less players per server, so most of them become bored and quit.
How is it a waste of cash? You rent a server, nobody comes, cause they already have their servers, and you have to shut it down, there goes your hard earned money. (Unless you're some rich and spoiled brat.)
We gotta reduce the number of servers to a reasonable amount with enough servers using popular gamemodes ALL around the globe. At least it's my perspective and honest opinion.

Edit: Shard's got a point, we should make this thread more useful.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:43:54 am by demoniac93 »
b&

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:14 am »
Matchmaking, would be good, but under a separate tab. Tutorial mode would be great as well. A campaign, I know how that would work, you set bot difficulty at the start, then you play 2 games of each mode, which intorduces people to each game mode, and shows alot about soldat.

The name of this thread is depressing, rename it to how to revive soldat, put in a poll with options, and BAM we have a think tank on how to save our beloved game.

Offline rayanaga

• Soldier
  • ~Fur flying~
    • Kryonex
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:27 am »
I personally think their should be less servers.
Whenever I hit Request Game, and scroll down, nearly 70% of the servers are empty.
Adding even more servers will just stretch that line even thinner.
[kY] Kryonex - Your local zombie fanatics.
http://www.kryonex.com/

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2009, 12:56:08 pm »
Whenever I hit Request Game, and scroll down, nearly 70% of the servers are empty.

There are filters that let you hide those empty servers...

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2009, 02:27:37 pm »
Matchmaking, would be good, but under a separate tab. Tutorial mode would be great as well. A campaign, I know how that would work, you set bot difficulty at the start, then you play 2 games of each mode, which intorduces people to each game mode, and shows alot about soldat.

The name of this thread is depressing, rename it to how to revive soldat, put in a poll with options, and BAM we have a think tank on how to save our beloved game.

Changed. Give me some poll options and I'll add a poll.

Well, if people would just buy some damn cheap server hosting (49c/player), then they will be supporting soldat and helping it not to die. Click here to buy server hosting / more info.

If you want to "support" Soldat, rent servers from U13 (as the money actually goes somewhere useful to Soldat as FLAB hosts all of the official sites) and go buy registrations for all your friends.

Because more servers = more players who play soldat. XFactor servers are cheaper than U13, so it's for people who don't have the money and want to buy some servers. Also Cheaper servers = more servers. I for one have a spending limit each month. With the same amount of money I can buy 2 servers instead of one.

Also, I don't own XFactor servers, but I want them to stay in business so that I get a discount on my server bill.

I'm talking about where the money is going. And more servers does not mean more players, as most of the current servers are consistently empty.

It's a real waste of money, soldat can't be saved by more servers, it'll kill it faster. More servers means less players per server, so most of them become bored and quit.
How is it a waste of cash? You rent a server, nobody comes, cause they already have their servers, and you have to shut it down, there goes your hard earned money. (Unless you're some rich and spoiled brat.)
We gotta reduce the number of servers to a reasonable amount with enough servers using popular gamemodes ALL around the globe. At least it's my perspective and honest opinion.

Edit: Shard's got a point, we should make this thread more useful.

Hmm , that's funny, because I just started up some new servers after some time of absence and they are very popular - not empty. Also my servers are servers you can play by yourself as my race server has highscores, And zombie servers speak for themselves. Nevertheless there are loads of people in my servers and I just started them up.

The problem is with these empty servers is that, people don't play in them because of the following reasons:

1. Crappy name. Even if a server has a super cool RPG script that rival's hexer, if the name is "Soldat Dedicated Server", no one will come. I counted 25 un-named servers when I requested servers.

2. Crappy server. If people don't like the server, change it. There are plenty of sub game modes in scripting releases.

3. Dedication. You know what sets some CTF servers away from others? Good custom maps and scripts. And constant improvement. If your just gonna throw a normal CTF with preset settings forget about it. Get a good server, even script some custom scripts for your server.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:14 pm »

Buying from FLAB or eC is much better - if you can afford it. It's kinda like when you go to the super market and they ask you if you want to donate to charity. Great, if you can afford it.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:20 pm »

Buying from FLAB or eC is much better - if you can afford it. It's kinda like when you go to the super market and they ask you if you want to donate to charity. Great, if you can afford it.

How couldn't you when the price difference is oh so....negligible....

And do you really believe that no one likes default (stock maps/weapon mod, no scripts) servers anymore?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »

And do you really believe that no one likes default (stock maps/weapon mod, no scripts) servers anymore?
Yep, the people that do just play gathers. Default pubs are gone loooong time ago.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2009, 03:21:12 pm »
Well a name change is necessary. Which you said you did, but haven't done? For poll options, stuff like Matchmaking services Yes/No Tutorial Mode Yes/No Campaign(as I have described)Yes/No. Other things that the community have said, and the devs can implement. This really sounds like Game improvements/suggestions, but how on ever, that is what this thread should be turned into, How To Save Soldat!

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »
I stopped playing @ tba's because they added one custom map to their map rotation. The scripts were too much to handle already.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2009, 03:54:26 pm »

Why are you always so... I dunno, defensive.

I was not saying that, as gamearena and darkcats are quite popular. But I meant killing spees, stats, etc.

I really don't understand why people would not like a good custom map. What's the difference between good custom maps and the default ones? Some custom maps are even more popular. Custom maps have not stopped !Elite servers from being the most full servers in soldat imho.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2009, 04:15:40 pm »
I was not saying that, as gamearena and darkcats are quite popular. But I meant killing spees, stats, etc.

I really don't understand why people would not like a good custom map. What's the difference between good custom maps and the default ones? Some custom maps are even more popular. Custom maps have not stopped !Elite servers from being the most full servers in soldat imho.

I think the main thing that turns people off about custom maps is that you usually need to download a several MB pack full of the maps' resources or else you'll be disconnected with each map change, and that upsets certain scripts.
There are other worlds than these

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
Try fixing all the bugs. That might help. Or at least unbroke things that used to work.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2009, 04:31:19 pm »
I stopped playing @ tba's because they added one custom map to their map rotation. The scripts were too much to handle already.
and people are generaly noob there. they are actually better at 4v4 meathouse, AND there's no gay scripts and shit there.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »
and people are generaly noob there. they are actually better at 4v4 meathouse, AND there's no gay scripts and shit there.

First blood, stats... There should be no scripting at all.

No, I don't care about the skill level since I do publics only for fun. It was pretty much the only decent server with no crap scripts and custom maps added back in the past. Oh and GET 100 POINTS BY KILLING 2 PLAYERS -script. You get the best score by spraying people and eating the bonus which is meant for those who cannot get their job done.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:58:50 pm by Dusty »

Offline Fujifabric

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • richter
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »
meh... i've always liked the idea of some good-skill pubs where you can get the best of both things like not having to play with/against n... err majors... (gathers) and the possibility of just get in and play that you get from pubs, but the problem is that it wont be either public or private so the only way i see that working is with a password known by a bunch of people who are supposed to be enough to always maintain players in the sever and that could be a bit difficult or realistic... but it's just my opinion anyways.

No, I don't care about the skill level since I do publics only for fun. It was pretty much the only decent server with no crap scripts and custom maps added back in the past. Oh and GET 100 POINTS BY KILLING 2 PLAYERS -script. You get the best score by spraying people and eating the bonus which is meant for those who cannot get their job done.

not to mention that the assistpoints script is also in the DM pub ::) and the other script they have of limiting the amount of weapons sometimes leaves you without any after you respawn  :-\ ... It's sad 'cause it's quite a decent pub anyways, but if you ask me i would only leave the script for balancing teams when they're uneven.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:23:04 pm by Fujifabric »

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2009, 05:36:08 pm »
I've got one line for this thread.

We can't do anything about it, so stop complaining and our opinions don't matter.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2009, 06:34:25 pm »
I've got one line for this thread.

We can't do anything about it, so stop complaining and our opinions don't matter.
Well your an optimist....This thread is about how to revive the game, so help or gtfo with your 'we cant do anything' attitude.

As for maps? I when a load of new maps are made, they should be added into the next version of Soldat. That way, at least the majority of custom maps, will already be available to people. I don't mean EVERY custom map. Just the major ones that are seen on most servers map lists. That way soldat would get more maps, and everyone would have them.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:47 pm »
Scarface is kinda right though Shard, people are too lazy to save this game, too much time and effort for their BUSY lives...Wonder which lives those would be if you get my point ;/
Anyhow, the tba assist script and stuff is a little bit too much, I mean, just yesterday
I played 3 maps, ash, was one of them, and I think during the 1st (Not ash) I had some kind of combo score, I was holding the alpha flag at bravo base, and their flagger took the mid route and rushed at me, I managed to kill him with the spas, AND he was a big point (The big point shit is useless and unnecessary), so it said:
+3 points for killing as flagger
+1 point for killing enemy flagger
+1 Big point
+1 (or was it 3?) ComboScore

So that's at least 7 if not 10 points for 1 kill.

And this is coming from a guy who's 23 and still amazed at soldat, regularly playing NORMAL unscripted inf and ctf.
b&