Author Topic: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?  (Read 110978 times)

Offline Nubism

• Major
Re: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »
a real weaponbalance, not such shit like the barret right now,
a better gameplay instead of a "better looking" game, since soldat just was good as it has been on 1.2.1 and 1.3.1.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:27 am »
I've got one line for this thread.

We can't do anything about it, so stop complaining and our opinions don't matter.

Bullshit.

We can report bugs and suggestions to Enesce and he'll do his best to make them work.

Right now all I care is to somehow optimize or improve the current code. Soldat works, but has some bugs here and there and some bugs are causing massive errors for people.
Like the access violation bugs require people to fiddle with fonts and settings that a usual consumer that wants to play a game doesnt want to concern about these things.

I dont know how complex soldat's source code is or that if its reliable of hacky things, but something should be done in terms of bugs by writing or rewriting code pieces to more stable and stronger solutions.

We have enough content right now.
Hell, we had enough content even back in 1.1.5 when I started playing. That was 7-8 years ago. The bugs remain.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2009, 01:35:40 pm »
I've got one line for this thread.

We can't do anything about it, so stop complaining and our opinions don't matter.

Bulls**t.

We can report bugs and suggestions to Enesce and he'll do his best to make them work.

Right now all I care is to somehow optimize or improve the current code. Soldat works, but has some bugs here and there and some bugs are causing massive errors for people.
Like the access violation bugs require people to fiddle with fonts and settings that a usual consumer that wants to play a game doesnt want to concern about these things.

I dont know how complex soldat's source code is or that if its reliable of hacky things, but something should be done in terms of bugs by writing or rewriting code pieces to more stable and stronger solutions.

We have enough content right now.
Hell, we had enough content even back in 1.1.5 when I started playing. That was 7-8 years ago. The bugs remain.

Off-topic: your avatar looks like cortex command :P
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2009, 02:45:48 pm »
No shit, click the "BW" in my sig if you want to play that.
Been modding that game for a quite a while now.

Offline Shadow_Knight

• Major
  • ingame a.k.a Hitokiri Batoussai.
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:13 pm »
Honestly, imo the recent 1.5.0 is full of bugs. I still play in the few 1.4.2 resistant public normal servers. I honestly rarely play anything rather than normal pure soldat, all those mods and everything just fuck me up. The thing is, 1.5.0 came with 2 time more bugs than 1.4.2. I'm not saying it aint normal, i'm saying it costd a lot of activity. I sincerily believe we should think about betting on old 1.4.2 (less bugs, better gameplay) and maybe some of the old players that quitted could find some old magic inherit to soldat tradition.

Have you epicly failed today?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »
Honestly, imo the recent 1.5.0 is full of bugs. I still play in the few 1.4.2 resistant public normal servers. I honestly rarely play anything rather than normal pure soldat, all those mods and everything just fuck me up. The thing is, 1.5.0 came with 2 time more bugs than 1.4.2. I'm not saying it aint normal, i'm saying it costd a lot of activity. I sincerily believe we should think about betting on old 1.4.2 (less bugs, better gameplay) and maybe some of the old players that quitted could find some old magic inherit to soldat tradition.

The problem is too many already moved out to 1.5 WITHOUT any intentions to check on 1.4.2 from time to time. I still go there about 3 times a week, and on every 11th visit I manage to find a normal ctf server with some good people and play some maps.
Why the heck couldn't you guys settle with the features of 4.2? 1.5 is so far the worst I've seen soldat ever be...It's depressing.
b&

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2009, 08:00:11 pm »
No duh. People said the same about 1.4 the first sub version will always be full of bugs. That's how it's always been. That's why we have the 3rd versions.

Soon there will be a

and probably a

that will hopefully fix most of the new bugs and some of the old ones.

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »
Just stumbled across this!

*snip*
Yeah, so basically if we had the source code for Soldat we'd all be happy guys (and gals).
I know that Soldat will be abandoned someday, I just hope that the source is released then we can build an open source community around it, making the game even better for everyone.
*snip*

Maybe Soldat has been doomed for much longer then some people suspect!

I wonder if we can find the first post thats suggesting Soldat's dying!

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:29 pm »
Just stumbled across this!

*snip*
Yeah, so basically if we had the source code for Soldat we'd all be happy guys (and gals).
I know that Soldat will be abandoned someday, I just hope that the source is released then we can build an open source community around it, making the game even better for everyone.
*snip*

Maybe Soldat has been doomed for much longer then some people suspect!

I wonder if we can find the first post thats suggesting Soldat's dying!

You'd have to dig through at least 2 years of archives...Some people have been considering and stating that it's dying since before the release of 1.4.2
b&

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2009, 09:46:29 am »
Dying is better than being dead my friend =]

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:25 pm »

Well said, my friend, well said.

lol

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »

lol

Don't forget, my friend, that dying is a very painful process wheres being dead is simple and easy. :P

Soldat is neither, stop saying it is people.
There are other worlds than these

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:25 pm »

lol

Don't forget, my friend, that dying is a very painful process wheres being dead is simple and easy. :P

Dude, that's AWESOME! How the hell do you think of these things? It's like your head is a big huge library or something, geez. What's your IQ?

You of all people should see that there are less players...

Quote from 2008:
well, it still sux, and I must agree with splinter. but we can't do a poo about it.
and can I ask if the bugs are being fixed? in the need help/report bugs section.
I feel like soldat is slowly dying

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2009, 11:18:44 pm »

Dude, that's AWESOME! How the hell do you think of these things? It's like your head is a big huge library or something, geez. What's your IQ?

Way higher than yours right now, trust me. ;)

Quote from 2008:
well, it still sux, and I must agree with splinter. but we can't do a poo about it.
and can I ask if the bugs are being fixed? in the need help/report bugs section.

What makes you think that quote is even the least bit credible? So what if Soldat hasn't been updated in a while. EnEsCe is hard at work. Don't rush him. When the next version does come out, I'm sure many of the bugs will be gone. And I play Soldat just about 3 hours a day. Am I plagued by bugs? No, I'm not. To me 1.5 is just like any other normal release. It works fine.

I've said it before, and will surely say it again: Stop Whining.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:53 pm »
Quote from 2008:

What makes you think that quote is even the least bit credible? So what if Soldat hasn't been updated in a while. EnEsCe is hard at work. Don't rush him. When the next version does come out, I'm sure many of the bugs will be gone. And I play Soldat just about 3 hours a day. Am I plagued by bugs? No, I'm not. To me 1.5 is just like any other normal release. It works fine.

I've said it before, and will surely say it again: Stop Whining.
[/quote]

Who said we were whining? Some people said soldat's bugs has to be fixed. But I KNOW they will be, read my post up above. Every sub version will have lots of bugs.

Soldat hasn't been updated in awhile???

Geez, I thought 1.5 just came out... I've only been playing it for 4 - 5 months...

I'm talking about the players, and maybe a little about the features not the bugs, here.

To be honest I didn't see enough improvements / more features in soldat 1.5... animated .gifs and gravity was the best.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »
You're saying that Soldat is dying because of the lack of major new features? New weapons, vehicles, and much more has been on the Do Not Suggest list for years before you even joined the community. Did people think Soldat was dying back then? No.

Saying Soldat is dying now is just a fad invented by depressants and emos.

To be honest I didn't see enough improvements / more features in soldat 1.5... animated .gifs and gravity was the best.
You didn't see....enough? Whether you like it or not, the Soldat devs do not exist to satisfy your definition of enough, which I bet consists of superfluous eye candy, gadgets, tanks, and much more I don't feel like imagining.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:37:44 pm by jrgp »

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:17 am »
Hey ... Why hasn't Soldat evolved from single developer to a team of developers yet?

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2009, 02:08:51 am »
Don't ask. xP

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »
Hey ... Why hasn't Soldat evolved from single developer to open source yet?
Fixed that for you.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »
Hey ... Why hasn't Soldat evolved from single developer to a team of developers yet?
Hey ... Why hasn't Soldat evolved from single developer to open source yet?
Fixed that for you.

Because that's how MM wants to keep it.