Author Topic: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?  (Read 111007 times)

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
Re: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?
« Reply #340 on: September 09, 2009, 04:17:26 pm »
I had about an hour with bots today
gosh, hell knows when I played with bots last time...
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #341 on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:21 pm »
I put soldat in my sig in every forum I'med signed up at. Just get a little soldat userbar and hotlink it with a little description of what it is and its free and stuff, example:

2D Multi-Player Side Scrolling Shooter Game. Soldat. Click here, it's free! No sign up / registration required. Just download and play!

As others have noted, this is a really good idea.

In addition, I suggest posting a topic about Soldat on forums where you're already an established member. Just make a small post in the off-topic section about the game, providing some brief info and asking if anybody would like to get a game going sometime. That's basically how I found Soldat, and nearly six years later I'm still here. Don't join forums specifically for this purpose, but if you're already a member somewhere and post somewhat regularly, give it a go, and try to set up a time to play with other forum members to introduce them to the game, and maybe do it a few times. Hopefully it'll provide an opportunity to get them hooked. :P

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2009, 08:21:57 pm »
i found about soldat the same way - on forums of some different game, somewhere in offtopic section  8)
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2009, 12:57:56 am »
i found about soldat the same way - on forums of some different game, somewhere in offtopic section  8)

So I'm the only one who found Soldat with Google searching for "Free multiplayer online shooter" on the ~6th page of results?
There are other worlds than these

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2009, 01:32:31 am »
So I'm the only one who found Soldat with Google searching for "Free multiplayer online shooter" on the ~6th page of results?

Nupp! Well mine was "Free online games, cause I'm getting sick of UT2 demo"

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2009, 01:36:03 am »
I found mine in a magazine that I only bought that one time. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that :p
What keeps me playing from time to time is the members of the different servers.

OBEY!!!

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2009, 03:21:42 am »
I found mine in a magazine that I only bought that one time. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that :p
What keeps me playing from time to time is the members of the different servers.

GameInformer, right?
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2009, 04:03:03 am »
Would be fun if Jermy from Pure pwnage found soldat in the series and loled about the /pwn command.

Is there any way we could spread the game in the WOW comunity?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2009, 11:34:06 am »
@jrgp: With me it was the 4th page of the results, I played it on my cousin's computer, forgot it's name, and found it on google xD
b&

Offline SOoly

• Major(1)
  • Yes,I`m
    • DarkTemplars
« Reply #349 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »
i know ... make version without hits ..
Yes,I`m

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »
Yea it seems the hits/eat bug increases with every version.

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2009, 06:27:56 pm »
so does the whine

Offline Ricrylonten

• Major
« Reply #352 on: September 18, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »
So does how cute you little australians are <3333

Offline RemiX

• Major(1)
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2009, 05:04:29 am »
I think reviving a game is up to its developers, not players.

By the current state of the community I'd say that Soldat isn't dead yet, but definitely needs some medical attention. We'll see what our "doctor" will do about that in 1.5.1.

Thats very true, and the key word in that first sentence is "developers". Look at any other successful game and you will see a team of developers making sure the game runs smooth with no errors and also making sure all updates and patches are bug free and very polished. I have had people try out this game and there biggest complaint is how many errors are associated with it. Having a bug free version will definitely make a big difference in the growth. Having one person run a game is ensuring failure. We honestly need a group of people to thoroughly look though, and make sure everything is polished.
Another example of only having one person run somthing is Sable. Sable is in charge of out hacking sercurity in soldat. Now with every new version of soldat BattleEye is reset and it is Sable's job to make sure BE is up-to-date with recent hacks. 1.5 comes out and BE's protection is no where to be found. Months after release BE is still failing to do anything. Hackers are running free while SCTFL and SRL are going on. Now I he has done some updates with BE and will eventually start adding hacks to be detected, but there still is a problem. We have one guy trying to protect soldat of hacks while there are dozens of hackers trying to bypass his system, and successfully doing it.

So my opinion of reviving soldat is there to be a bug free version of soldat out, and a hack protection that actually works. How is this to work? By having not only one person try to run the show, but by having other help out with the process.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2009, 09:23:45 am »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2009, 11:10:03 am »
a bug free version of soldat
haha!

At least say it's impossible, Shoozza's already explained why.
Although you COULD reduce the bugs to an amount that people wouldn't bother noticing.
b&

Offline masimoto

• Major(1)
« Reply #356 on: September 27, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »
Answering the original question on how to revive Soldat, my answer is plain and simple: Be nice.
No, I am serious. I started playing Soldat about a month ago and the gameplay was great! And then as I started to get used to the way things work in Soldat I started noticing that the people playing aren't all that friendly. Online friendships have been established between players who I assume have been playing a lot longer than I have, and these people seem hard pressed to be helpful or generally nice to noobs. I've been kicked repeatedly for being a noob, towards things, to the point where I was banned, which led me to join this forum in the first place about a week ago. Some people on the forum have been nice with my problems and helpful, but I've also already gotten a warning for other topic posts. All and all, the general players of Soldat have appeared very cold hearted and not all that fun to play with. While browsing around the forums I noticed a lot of people complaining about the game and updates and such and such, but it didn't seem like anyone wanted to even try fixing there problems themselves. I've already recommended this game to friends, but if they were to be received as I have for being a noob, I can't possibly imagine any one of them staying.

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #357 on: September 27, 2009, 06:19:39 pm »
That's Soldat for you.

I don't kick people for being noobs, I love an easy kill.
I kick people 4 haxzoring, I hate hard kills. HAXZOR! GFTFO, F$G! P7nis Face!

I'd suggest to your friends that they don't say, Soldat has become a p00 p00 hole!

We're STILL waiting for that f4king beta! And there's one person you can blame for that!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #358 on: September 27, 2009, 08:55:19 pm »
masimoto:
Sadly most games have players that are.. "not nice". Some games are even worse. Yeah, players in Soldat hate newbs, mostly because they don't know how to play well and don't help their teams, which annoys quite a lot of good players (although I aggree, that's not a reason to kick).
All I can suggest is - play on DM servers first, get better. DM servers tend to have much more newbies. Once you get better - switch to CTF and INF and play on good popular servers (which hopefully have decent admins).
Among INF servers I suggest you try "Graveyard {INF}" and "Snipe & Slice {INF}". Snipe & Slice INF is pretty new, but Graveyard has been a favorite place for INFers for a long time, so there are a lot of good and respectful players there.

As for forum - personally, I find that admins here do a good job, they don't punish for no reason and are always polite. Read the rules just to make sure you havent missed anything.

Offline LORD KILLA

• Camper
  • Happie
« Reply #359 on: September 28, 2009, 11:09:11 am »
Umm, see... You can make soldat's next version is a 'in' game by bettering graphics more, adding Kampagin, etc... or making it unique by adding no-known game SENSE, not just graphics. Good graphics make the gamelay much better of course, but when you have the best gun in the world shooting nicest bullets in the world etc... it will be only a gun shooting bullets, but tell me: Where's the sense of this ? Make players need to get better for more stuff aviable. The result of this would be that the scriptcore may die, so just expand the script core and make it more stable/effective/faster/faster(AppOnIdle)/More functions/easy kind of sending data through the internet (!!! this would make the communication to a wonderfull activity !!!)/... . Try to think what people would think, give them some challange. Of course this may mean more coding skills for the creator, but if you want to make a good game this is required. (I hope i won't get muted for this =| )