Author Topic: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?  (Read 111441 times)

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
Re: Soldat is dying, how to revive it?
« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2009, 09:08:04 am »
I've left Soldat for a year or two maybe. I left because my favorite servers gone down. And I'm on the other side of the world so there aren't many servers with suitable ping. Before, there were dozens of them, now it dwindled to a few to none, leaving me with servers of 150+ ping. So I gave up playing Soldat. Also, Vista fudge Soldat up, a lot.

Now I see this thread, and, as a Soldat player I don't want it die too. It gave me fun memories. If miketh2005's sig is open for others to use I want to use it in other forums too.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2009, 03:21:17 pm »
If miketh2005's sig is open for others to use I want to use it in other forums too.

He's been banned on these forums for a year, and he probably ripped his sig from another forum anyway. Feel free to use it.
There are other worlds than these

Offline ghengis_kahn

• Major(1)
  • look for g-k.ath.cx servers. all are welcome!
    • Genghis Khan is alive and well and running a game server in Atlanta
Re: Soldat is dying, and you know it.
« Reply #362 on: October 07, 2009, 10:52:54 pm »
all you people whining about the fact that there are no good servers - it's all in your hands.
I'd like to point out that I'm not exactly whining about the servers, but more about my location and the fact that most people within my region don't play Soldat.

Other than that, I can agree with your points.
I just opened 10 new servers. and I am capable of hosting more just dont see a reason because my 10 servers are very rarely full.
Genghis Khan is alive and well and running a game server in Atlanta
look for g-k.ath.cx servers. all are welcome!
http://wiki.soldat.nl/Genghis-kahn
I run alot of  servers right now. dont think I can run many more but trying.
my favorite is rocket pistol, only pistols, law's and chainsaws allowed.
check out http://g-k.ath.cx/  I now have a server list page, http://g-k.ath.cx/cgi-bin/serverlist.cgi

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #363 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:50 pm »
Maybe what would help is if some players, atleast one per major city would make a normal regular server. Like for example chicago having one aswell as detroit, eh...detroit. or atleast a few more states participating.
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline ghengis_kahn

• Major(1)
  • look for g-k.ath.cx servers. all are welcome!
    • Genghis Khan is alive and well and running a game server in Atlanta
« Reply #364 on: October 15, 2009, 07:13:38 pm »
Maybe what would help is if some players, atleast one per major city would make a normal regular server. Like for example chicago having one aswell as detroit, eh...detroit. or atleast a few more states participating.
OK I vote myself to be the official Atlanta server.  Would you want me to setup an official soldat server for Atlanta? or just declare of my servers official Atlanta servers.
so is there going to be an official soldat.ini for all "official" servers to use? can we vote on it?
Genghis Khan is alive and well and running a game server in Atlanta
look for g-k.ath.cx servers. all are welcome!
http://wiki.soldat.nl/Genghis-kahn
I run alot of  servers right now. dont think I can run many more but trying.
my favorite is rocket pistol, only pistols, law's and chainsaws allowed.
check out http://g-k.ath.cx/  I now have a server list page, http://g-k.ath.cx/cgi-bin/serverlist.cgi

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »
As far as I can see right now soldat has one of the best online community for a freeware game I've ever seen. So saying that it needs to be revived is rather lame IMO.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:18 pm »
As far as I can see right now soldat has one of the best online community for a freeware game I've ever seen. So saying that it needs to be revived is rather lame IMO.
Popularity of Soldat has been going downhill. Besides, you've been here for some 18 months, while some of us have been here for more than 6 years. I can tell you, Soldat was MUCH, MUCH different back then. Obviously Soldat was more FUN back then. Applies to community and to the game itself.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #367 on: October 16, 2009, 12:21:49 pm »
Popularity of Soldat has been going downhill. Besides, you've been here for some 18 months, while some of us have been here for more than 6 years. I can tell you, Soldat was MUCH, MUCH different back then. Obviously Soldat was more FUN back then. Applies to community and to the game itself.
Correction I've been on the soldat forums for about 18 months but I've played soldat for like 4 years now.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #368 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »
Correction I've been on the soldat forums for about 18 months but I've played soldat for like 4 years now.

And in those four years you've only been in the community for the latter 18 months. That doesn't really tell you very much.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #369 on: October 16, 2009, 12:36:14 pm »

And in those four years you've only been in the community for the latter 18 months. That doesn't really tell you very much.
I understood how things where going in the online community and I did visit the forums as a guest (just never felt the need to become a member).

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »

I understood how things where going in the online community and I did visit the forums as a guest (just never felt the need to become a member).

Well, regardless: you can't learn much about a forum and the personalities of the people in it without joining in and having them reply to your posts.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2009, 12:44:14 pm »

Well, regardless: you can't learn much about a forum and the personalities of the people in it without joining in and having them reply to your posts.
I thought this thread was for reviving soldat not the soldat forums, anyhow I think 18 months of being a member and reading other peoples post is enough time to understand what most of the active people are like.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2009, 12:45:27 pm »

I thought this thread was for reviving soldat not the soldat forums, anyhow I think 18 months of being a member and reading other peoples post is enough time to understand what most of the active people are like.

Our point is that you don't know what most of the active people of 5 years ago were like.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2009, 12:46:58 pm »

Our point is that you don't know what most of the active people of 5 years ago were like.
Soz?  ::) I know what the active people of 4 years ago where like  ::)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2009, 12:56:39 pm »

Soz?  ::) I know what the active people of 4 years ago where like  ::)

If that was true you'd know and accept Soldat was/is dying.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #375 on: October 16, 2009, 01:21:42 pm »
Heh, jrgp is doing the discussion for me. :P

These days it is hard to find proper NORMAL CTF server with players. Same with DM(due to the bug, I try to believe). Nowadays people consider the "classic" Soldat somewhat boring, so they prefer the scripted servers with different gimmicks which would have never become implemented by MM "back in the day".

The game evolves, possibly to the wrong direction. Other games are more appealing etc. I fail to see a real solution to this though.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2009, 01:23:32 pm »

These days it is hard to find proper NORMAL CTF server with players. Same with DM(due to the bug, I try to believe). Nowadays people consider the "classic" Soldat somewhat boring, so they prefer the scripted servers with different gimmicks which would have never become implemented by MM "back in the day".

The game evolves, possibly to the wrong direction. Other games are more appealing etc. I fail to see a real solution to this though.
so from that I take it that you think soldat is doomed? anyhow people like scripted servers because of the change in gameplay there is nothing wrong with that.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #377 on: October 16, 2009, 01:30:18 pm »

so from that I take it that you think soldat is doomed? anyhow people like scripted servers because of the change in gameplay there is nothing wrong with that.
If you ask me, yes. Soldat is doomed.

Scripted servers and all the modifications etc. in my opinion have actually made things worse. There is no "standard" "Soldat" among the players. For some Soldat is realistic survival, for some Soldat is TW/TTW, for some Soldat is Hexer/MMod, for some Soldat is climbing, and for some Soldat is knife only etc. When the small amount of players distribute to all these "mods", every mod has a small share of the players and after a while no one cares to continue playing -> people quit.

(This is why I oppose giving too much of a freedom of modification/scripting to the community in small games.)
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »
There isn't anything new being developed either, a lot of scripts and mods are from when Soldat was much more popular.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2009, 02:47:34 pm »
Will you all stop saying soldat is dying, I'm disappointed by the admins who say that. Soldat is a classic game, so people will allways come if you just fix the bugs.
What is happening is that noone has the patience to wait for the next version, and I can understand that you whine a bit about the bugs, but all you really can do is to wait.
You have forgot about the soldat spirit, well I will never loose it, so you can all just take your whining to some other place while I wait for the coolest version ever! [fist]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:49:30 pm by homerofgods »