Author Topic: -273.15  (Read 2453 times)

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
Re: -273.15
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 12:49:27 am »
Also, that's 0 degrees kelvin which starts at 0 movement.
The precise definition of heat is "the process of energy transfer from one object to another because of the difference in temperature between the two objects". It is not the same as "temperature" or "heat/thermal energy".
I'm pretty sure that's wrong, as heat is the amount of energy inside of something. Temperature is just how we measure it.
Actually, heat is the amount of energy transferred from the object that has the higher temperature to the object with the lower temperature.

To prove it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:51:18 am by croat1gamer »
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 01:29:39 am »
@iDante: Heat exists as energy inside things as the transfer of energy between that object's molecules.

Edit: Also, the words "heat" and "energy" are interchangable.

Edit 2: Although the above is technically true there are situations when one of the two terms is the proper one.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:37:28 am by Wraithlike »

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 02:15:53 am »
Actually its:
ΔE = Q

Whereas:
E = Energy
Q = Heat

EDIT:
Also:

Q = ΔT

Whereas:
T = Temperature
Q = Heat

T is in Kelvin, but "t" can be used also, as Celsius degrees and kelvin are with the same difference between 1K and 1°C
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:22:56 am by croat1gamer »
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 02:43:23 am »
In any case I'm curious to know, what is the temperature of God?

What is the temperature of science?

Player since late 2007

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 02:44:39 am »
I mean in terms of terminology, rather than in terms of formulas. I wanted to avoid confusion when I change from heat to energy and back.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 03:08:00 am »
The SI unit for heat is Joule, that is why i mentioned it.

Offline JudgeMan

• Major(1)
  • Rhombus!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 07:31:59 am »
Well if you look at it using the equation (Pressure1*Volume1)/Temp.1 = (Pressure2*Volume2)/Temp2...

State1:
Pressure: 100,000 Pascals
Volume: 5m^3
Temp: 100Kelvins

If we change to state 2 while keeping the pressure constant...

State2:
Pressure: 100,000 Pascals
Volume: (?) m^3
Temp: 0 Kelvins

We get   100,000*5/100 = 100,000*x/0   <-oh dear...

...the resulting volume would be undefined because it is being divided by zero, right?  Interesting :P

Did LHC's superconductive magnets volume decreased to near non-existence when they cooled them to 1.9K?? No I don't think so.
That equation is right and, in theory, would be true for an ideal gas (a gas that would stay in its gas form at 0k) but it's not the case. Any element will reach solid/liquid state before 0k and in that state they will keep a volume.

Theoretically, at absolute zero the volume of an ideal gas would be zero and all molecular motion would cease. In actuality, all gases condense to solids or liquids well above this point. Although absolute zero cannot be reached, temperatures within a few billionths of a degree above absolute zero have been achieved in the laboratory. At such low temperatures, gases assume nontraditional states, the Bose-Einstein and fermionic condensates

A Bose-Einstein condensate, the fifth state of matter, is formed at low temperatures when a significant number of the elementary particles classified as bosons collapse into the same quantum state. A similar condensate that consists of fermions instead of bosons is known as a fermionic condensate, the sixth state of matter.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »
Also, reminded myself of something:
When a object gets at 0 Kelvin, he stays at that temperature, whereas it is creating a paradox, as the heat balance is nonexistent, the object is permanently inert with anything, as it doesnt have any energy at all, cannot absorb energy and thereby it is "stuck" at those coordinates it achieved 0 Kelvin.

IMO it would be also resistant to the force that a black hole would make, because it cannot accept any energy that would bring it to the black hole, and thereby killing many laws of physics.
Quantum physics- For the things you cant explain.

Its 2am, im freaking tired, and probably i made an idiotic part in the post, so ignore it then.