Author Topic: Gather Gameplay Tutorial  (Read 26464 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Gather Gameplay Tutorial
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:14:08 pm »
How to Connect to IRC:
Use the existing guide at: http://wiki.soldat.nl/IRC_tutorial

The Guide is outdated but will work just fine for connecting to IRC.

At the part where network shall be selected, if you cannot see the quakenet networks type "/server irc.quakenet.org" in the command line.
After you've made an auth and logged on to it, write "/join #Gather.eu or /join #soldat.gather"(that is if you're EU, #nasoldat for NA and #ausgather for AUS) in the command line.

Might make my own tutorial later. or if you want to make one, pm me.

Gathers Gameplay
Here are Guidelines for how to properly play in a gather or a match played over IRC.

Might add more categories in future

Movements

Here's a Video of how to move properly.
Youtube Link: Soldat Movements Tutorial (watch in HQ)
Download Link: Movements Tutorial.avi 48.5mb
Reservation for spelling and grammar misstakes.

Comment: As throw-flag-button was added, fake Cannon Ball is the better move of the two.
There's another way to raise of up prone instantly, which is to turn around.
To move Quickly, Prone mid air and jet, then get up before hitting ground (may use prone bug).

You may also fool around spamming prone, change weapon and tapping nade. since Nade cancels the most things, such as spas reload, changing weapon, throwing knife etc.
SoulBlade: It's also possible to prone glide by stabbing with knife or fisting, it's mostly useful for hunting or running away as a flag carrier. It's also more consistent than the changing weapon style.

You shouldn't overuse any of these Movements, especially not Poly boosting, since it's very difficult to do properly.

When you've learned to use the movements well, you may mix Cannon ball then Mid air prone + jet, and prone bug as a "speedy move".

Video made by SoulBlade with some in action use of gliding and boosting
Youtube Link: Gliding and Boosting(watch in HQ)

Comment:
hold: prone + jet + stab to do the trick and then look backwards and stab to stand up again. There's also some in game clips of how M79 boosting can be used.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to get fast movement. Though, I'm only focusing on the main techniques.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxaH8dxk-Kw
Download 1080p: http://www.mediafire.com/?d07m872re9i0fgk
Download 720p: http://www.mediafire.com/?9d5hq0tpva3qllk

Comment:
  • You jump roughly 5% faster while facing towards the left.
  • Kick-jumps combined with back-flips will make you gain great speed upwards.
  • The timing of your jumps do affect how fast your fake-cannonball will be.
  • There's also insta-prone, which you perform by tapping nade and prone at the same time.
  • You can nade tap before turning around while turn-canceling, however, you must've turned around before the short animation ends.
Might be more that I don't know of or can't think of now.

Might add more in future

Weaponaries

This video is more aimed on how to use steyr,however it gives knowledge on using any auto. This won't be useful after soldat 1.6
Youtube Link: Soldat Tutorial How To Steyr (watch in HQ)
Download Link: Tutorial - How To Steyr.avi 24.8mb

Comment: all the autos got different amount of bullets before giving them a quick break.
as for Minimi it takes a while to get rid off the movement acc, so you do not want to make many fire breaks.
This does no longer apply, as autos no longer has selfbink

Might add more in future

Taunting/Infoing And Teamplay
I made this video to show the basics of team play and info.

Youtube Link: Soldat Teamplay Tutorial (watch in HQ) - Audio swapped to avoid the ban
Download Link: Teamplay.avi 41.1mb

Comment: The flanking part is just an example, you shall always think in flanking the opponent, and get a better angle to kill the opponent.
Getting a kill is not the main goal in ctf, the main goal is to win by capping. instead, play smart and stop stat-whoring.

You will get better at these things with experiance, getting a clan will also enhance your team play by heaps.

If you're not sure how to edit your taunts, download Selfkills Taunt editor and select the <Profile Name>.txt in the profile folder in Soldat folder (for registered users) or edit the taunt.txt in the soldat folder (for unregistered users)
Download Link: Soldat TauntEdit v2 131 kb

Useful Taunts:

First Priority:
Inc (Incoming) for High/Up, Mid, Low/Down
efc (Enemy Flag Carrier) for High/Up, Mid, Low/Down
Clear/Negative

Second Priority:
ffc (Friendly Flag Carrier) for High/Up, Mid, Low/Down
ff (Free Flag) for High/Up, Mid, Low/Down
Cap/score
Lost Flag
Base is Hot

Might add more in future

I hope to update this topic to an extent to successfully make experienced public server players having an easier time to improve to Gather level.
This is not aimed for beginners, where I suggest beginners to play in public servers and gain some basic experiance. - As for now I'm going to retire, but I might still check this and update it.

And my Soldat movie ^^: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=39873.0

Feel free to contribute by correcting/Suggesting/Making your own tutorial.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:38:54 am by darDar »

Offline 1ronclaw

• Major(1)
Re: Gather Gameplay Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:44 pm »
I am not ready for gathers, but I found your videos very helpful for learning movement techniques. I look forward to more.

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 12:42:59 am »
Oh, cool! xD

I'm pretty good with movement, and my aiming is alright!

Grenades are my weakness! (Possibly due to my bad connection).

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:00:37 am »
I will hopefully add more today. where I hope to show how to properly info, and some basic teamplay.

Oh, cool! xD

I'm pretty good with movement, and my aiming is alright!

Grenades are my weakness! (Possibly due to my bad connection).

For grenades, Since the demos don't work that well for 1.5, I'm using 1.4.2 for demo recording. this makes it harder to show how to nade, as I won't have any opponents.
What you want to do with nades are hitting their legs to make a 1 hit kill, but can also hit body when you're simultaneously firing at your target.
When you see somebody is gonna land, you may try to throw a nade to where he will be landing.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:09:13 am »
Ahem. There are misspellings in the first Movement video :(

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:14:07 am »
Very nice guide.

I knew all that existed, but I didnt know how to do it. Especially the cannon ball and the prone cancel/glide. I'm a very mobile player but the inability to do a cannon ball or being hindered by a prone has always let me down.

Thank you again, I just got some new material to improve with. : )
Im gonna be soo invincible with this stuff now mwhahaha...

EDIT: Btw in that shooting vid it says that bink is stacked after reload.
I think this a bug that needs fixing, has anyone reported it yet?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:00:10 am »
Worming is like the lamest tactic ever. I find it almost as lame as throwing grenades through polies.

Also, moving should remain simple. In the end it's like Christiano Ronaldo with his nice looking yet useless tricks. Especially polyboosting will get you killed sooner than you think, because you can't succeed every time, and instead of getting boosted you either get stuck into the corner or lose all your speed.

In my opinion, prone sliding is only useful in rare occasions, such as when tricking a passing foe. When using it to move faster, the gain is so small that it's better to stay up when on the ground. Sooner or later you will end up lying on the ground, stuck to prone position because you change your weapon all the time.

As a little side note, you shouldn't jump when boosting yourself using a nade in Ash, it's way more efficient if done the other way. Doing it by sliding over the collider also gives you two more routes to choose from: lower route and the base.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 07:20:44 am »
Worming is like the lamest tactic ever. I find it almost as lame as throwing grenades through polies.

Its valid and possible though. Saved me a lot of times aswell.
Same with camping.

As for poly-grenade, thats a bug that the game hasnt fixed yet and it means it will be valid as long as it remains unfixed and thus a usable tactic. Lame, but not restricted.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 07:23:51 am »
As for poly-grenade, thats a bug that the game hasnt fixed yet and it means it will be valid as long as it remains unfixed and thus a usable tactic. Lame, but not restricted.

It might be allowed in public servers, I wouldn't know, but not in private. It's considered as bug abusing and will get you in trouble.

Edit: Private as in the whole IRC community.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:52:07 am by Dusty »

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 07:48:59 am »
Yeah, you're right here. If its a private place, they will most likely have their own rules to deal with this. Like "no camping" and "no poly-nading". But yeah, unless otherwise specified, its still valid.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 08:07:55 am »

Also, moving should remain simple. In the end it's like Christiano Ronaldo with his nice looking yet useless tricks. Especially polyboosting will get you killed sooner than you think, because you can't succeed every time, and instead of getting boosted you either get stuck into the corner or lose all your speed.

In my opinion, prone sliding is only useful in rare occasions, such as when tricking a passing foe. When using it to move faster, the gain is so small that it's better to stay up when on the ground. Sooner or later you will end up lying on the ground, stuck to prone position because you change your weapon all the time.

As a little side note, you shouldn't jump when boosting yourself using a nade in Ash, it's way more efficient if done the other way. Doing it by sliding over the collider also gives you two more routes to choose from: lower route and the base.
Sure, you should never over use any movement. but I find it very usefull with pronesliding and worming, as you can eat tons with it, while waiting for your teammates to gun them down. - instead of waiting to die because you ran out of ammo, you can just start eating to buy time.

I also think it varies a lot on playing style, a more defensive and aim based person may want to be standing still and concentrate on aiming. while a more offensive might concentrate more or quick movements and eating, and less aiming.

But still, I agree with not doing Poly boosting too often, unless you're sure you'll hit it. it may slow you down, but rarely it'll get you stuck (as far as I know). - added to not overuse movements, especially not poly boost.

Ash part: I ussualy decide if I shall go low or up, sometimes I leave the choice open. and it's not really a vital thing, as the main point was to nade boost (planned to use Laos but changed my mind, since Ash is easier, and people might pick it up easier)

Ahem. There are misspellings in the first Movement video :(
Spelling is a b***h~
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:28:04 am by -Major- »

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 10:37:16 am »
You can also glide by stabbing knife or punching fists at the same time as proning and jetting.
Even though this is used by many in knife only mode, it's rarely used in normal mode.

Obviously running into the enemy with a knife out makes you an easy target, but it's useful when running away with the flag or chasing an EFC.
It's also more consistent than the changing weapon style.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54:17 am »
You can also glide by stabbing knife or punching fists at the same time as proning and jetting.
Even though this is used by many in knife only mode, it's rarely used in normal mode.

Obviously running into the enemy with a knife out makes you an easy target, but it's useful when running away with the flag or chasing an EFC.
It's also more consistent than the changing weapon style.
Thanks, added. However, it was quite a long time ago I actually played, but I'm certain that you can cancel the weapon change by tapping nade button, it'll allow you to stay with the same weapon. it's a bit harder to include nade action bug so I thought to leave that out (not sure tho, hard to remember what you're doing in an actual game).

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 11:06:56 am »
I found that you get up as fast as you would if you switched weapon by tapping the nade button.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 11:15:39 am »
I found that you get up as fast as you would if you switched weapon by tapping the nade button.
Problem for me is that I got Prone at F and nade at E ;d gets hard when you're moving to the right. but yeah, the nade is great, but slightly harder to use.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 12:27:56 pm »
Cannonball is so useful and fun, why didnt anyone tell me this before? ;_;

So far I've always been an ace at vertical movement, but horizontal is a bit sucky from time to time. Mainly I screw up my bunny hops and I had no idea of cannon ball and my constant proning/superman didnt help to keep my momentum running long enough.

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 04:42:35 pm »
Here's a little example of gliding and boosting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_-BYenOMU
*Updated
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:14:02 pm by soulblade »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
Here's a little example of gliding and boosting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7OOfcptFKE
Nice, mind giving a comment or is what I put there good enough? :p
Maybe you should have one in slowmotion aswell.

-Added

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 06:43:21 pm »
Well you just hold: prone + jet + stab to do the trick and then look backwards and stab to stand up again.

ok made the vid a bit longer!!

If you want to make it look fancier, then feel free. I don't know too much about making video effects.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:13:37 pm by soulblade »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »
Well you just hold: prone + jet + stab to do the trick and then look backwards and stab to stand up again.

ok made the vid a bit longer!!

If you want to make it look fancier, then feel free. I don't know too much about making video effects.
ah nice, well, I'm quite suckage at video edeting myself (which you can see in my vids). but I'd need your .avi (or whatever format you got it in) to do it. I don't think downloading the mp4 converting edeting and then convert again will be too great.

EDIT: Sad that demos aren't working for 1.5 D:, otherwise all of this would've been so much easier >.>
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:40:41 pm by -Major- »