Author Topic: Building a new computer  (Read 5466 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Re: Building a new computer
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:01 pm »
lower heat means longer life. You're right though, stock is sufficient.

Longer life does not matter in this case since the CPU's live like decades. They rarely fail due to overheating. And difference between Arctic Silver and something else is non-existent. Even Ketchup works better, I've tested it, twice.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41:02 pm »
Longer life does not matter in this case since the CPU's live like decades. They rarely fail due to overheating. And difference between Arctic Silver and something else is non-existent. Even Ketchup works better, I've tested it, twice.
it does a lot of a difference, by using a good paste you can earn a few degrees.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2009, 11:30:09 pm »
it does a lot of a difference, by using a good paste you can earn a few degrees.
That few degrees makes absolutely no difference on anything, given that the person isn't avid overclocker running his/her system on the very edge of stability for performance. And even then, the problem of excess heat can't be solved by thermal paste at all.

As long as there is something between the CPU heatspreader and the base of the heatsink, one is fine. Be it toothpaste, ketchup or even shampoo. Of course, these compounds are absolutely not recommended for to be used.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 12:26:14 pm »
Hey-oh from the new computer. Put it together yesterday (I was very slow 'cause I haven't done it for 5+ years). There were a couple scares (putting on crappy stupid heatsink thing feels like I'm breaking the computer, video card didn't fit right at first so I had to unscrew the mobo and move it back to put it in, and then it didn't POST but it's 'cause I was missing a connection from the PSU) but other than that, it went smoothly. I've gotta say, this thing is FAST.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this is just about one of the best computers I can get for <$800, thanks everyone for the input.