Author Topic: Using custom mod on dedicated servers  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
Using custom mod on dedicated servers
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:40 am »
Does anyone know how to get a mod to work on a dedicated server?

Offline Snack

• Soldier
  • Ehm ;_;
Re: Using custom mod on dedicated servers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:10:27 am »
Well, what kind of mod?...

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:52:37 am »
you can NOT make any player that joins a server use a mod that COULD be installed in, because it's impossible.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »
Well its just gfx's and a weapon mod lol. Is that so hard to do?

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:09:45 pm »
if you mean having a server that downloads a custom mod to each player who joins, that is NOT possible and might ever be.

if you mean using a custom mod for only you, you can download some mods in the modding releases board, and place them into soldat/mods, and then with the soldat mod starter play with them.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:00:21 am »
The only "mod" you could get people to download from joining a server would be a weapons mod (as in the weapons .ini) and they wouldn't really be "downloading" it.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am)....

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:21:54 am »
The only "mod" you could get people to download from joining a server would be a weapons mod (as in the weapons .ini) and they wouldn't really be "downloading" it.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am)....
No, you are right now.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:15:37 am »
Well its just gfx's and a weapon mod lol. Is that so hard to do?

It is currently impossible to force the player to use a certain gfx or sound mod, or a specific interface. You can set the weapon settings though.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:41 am »
What if its not a dedicated server? I hosted a server on 1.3 and people were using the mod I had for the guns(made them bling). So whats up with that?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:20:15 am »
What if its not a dedicated server? I hosted a server on 1.3 and people were using the mod I had for the guns(made them bling). So whats up with that?

No, they were only using the Weapon mod. Unless they had the full mod downloaded and were specifically using that, the only thing that was different for them on your server were the weapon settings.

Offline Croatian

• Major
  • :)
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:11:27 am »
No!No!No!
That type of modding works great in CoD4, if is really inpossible to palyer download server's mod, what's the point of those maps in Dedicated Server 2.6.5 :
-anims
-bots
-objectf
-scenery-gfx
-textures
-maps
Yea, maps are downloaded from Server, why then wont been downloaded Textures (examp.)??

Offline danmer

• Camper
  • crabhead
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:39:36 am »
-anims
-bots
-objectf
-scenery-gfx
-textures
-maps
Yea, maps are downloaded from Server, why then wont been downloaded Textures (examp.)??
textures and scenery are downloaded together with maps; bots are used by the server for, well, BOTS; and i can only guess anims are used for some internal magics (collision calculations or smth)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:18 am »
textures and scenery are downloaded together with maps; bots are used by the server for, well, BOTS; and i can only guess anims are used for some internal magics (collision calculations or smth)

Anims are used for client side animations, like weapon reloading, gostek movements, etc. I'm not sure if the server uses them for anything important. I'm sure they don't need to correspond with the anims folder on the client since I use a few custom .poa's in my anims folder and never have problems.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:48 am »
They just need the same length or it would be impossible to play online (offline is fine though).

Spas, knife, weapon change, and movement overall are usually being controlled by .poa files afaik, so modifying them would modify the gameplay directly.

For an example the knife hit length and speed are being controlled by the .poa file.
The server uses its .poa file, or the player could with an custom anim hit an far away enemy.
The length of the animation is for some reason hardcoded, possibly because it would enable some manipulation with the gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:29:45 am by croat1gamer »
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:50:53 am »

For an example the knife hit length and speed are being controlled by the .poa file.
The server uses its .poa file, or the player could with an custom anim hit an far away enemy.

???

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:34:37 am »
Knife hit length, i knew it would be a problem to explain.

Knife hit length = how far you need to be away to get hit by a slashing knife
Knife speed = how fast does it slash (how much frames does it take, same as with spas reload)

The server uses its .poa file to recognize the knife hit length in this case imo.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:39:10 am »
Well, I have a modified local .poa for weapon reloading (downloaded it here a long long time ago). I'm not sure if it's really an exploit, but I can very easily see when other players are reloading, since it shows the entire weapon rotating.

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:44:49 am »
Well, I have a modified local .poa for weapon reloading (downloaded it here a long long time ago). I'm not sure if it's really an exploit, but I can very easily see when other players are reloading, since it shows the entire weapon rotating.
.poa mods will only work if they are the same number of frames as the original animation

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 11:58:56 am »
Quote from: SCTFL Rules
Changing the color of grenades, changing the color of bullets, changing the size of bullets, changing textures of maps,  or anything of that sort which directly helps you instead of directly hurting your opponent are allowed.
Its graylisted, but tends to be blacklisted imo.
But it would look awesome.

Im currently at my workplace so i cant test if my predictions are good, but can anyone change the knife slash animation and move the hand with the knife (should be the left one) a bit further away, then test if it really hits the enemy (on the length where is the knife held with that animation).

@ Toumaz- I said that allready before. :P