Poll

Do you find the portal useful?

I do
I do not

Author Topic: Remove the portal.  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Remove the portal.
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:56 am »
/eot
???
I don't see anything useful in it.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:19:00 pm by Dusty »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Remove the portal/index/home/whatever.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:40 am »
... really?  For 2 years we had people asking for it... and now someone is going to start a thread asking for it to be removed?

Is it doing any harm?  Is there any reason to remove it besides "it doesn't do anything [for me]"?

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
there's not enough content on it, so it's more of a click-through before you reach the forums.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:17:58 am »
there's not enough content on it, so it's more of a click-through before you reach the forums.

Ja.

It does harm my daily life. Whenever I want to reach the index page of the forums, I accidentally click "home" which will f**k things up. I don't really care if people asked for it for years, I wasn't among them. Same thing with the lobby chat.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything [for anyone] except for those who want to see who's made the most posts here, for those who really think that it matters.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:19:53 am by Dusty »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:03:07 am »
Well if it's that useless how about we come up with things to add to it?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:12 am »
From my point of view, there's not much you can add. Since the whole site is based on the forums, why keep such thing blocking the way to the main point?

It's like a frontpage telling you to click 'here' to continue. Waste of time methinks.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:26 am »
Well, what about something usefull like having it display the most recent posts themselves instead if just links to them?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »
Uh, doesn't sound very exciting. I'm all for removing the whole page hehe.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:27:27 pm »
I still feel it's rather insane to remove something many people have wanted for years and a lot of us find very interesting.

Whatever, Poll?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 02:04:02 pm »
Okay gogo vote vote! What's the interesting part?

Everyone who voted 'no' please tell me how do you find it useful!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:28:33 pm by Dusty »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
Re: Remove the portal.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 03:00:16 pm »
Seens as development for this game has always been slow (currently stopped) there isn't a whole ton of reason for it that I can see. The last update on it was June. So either add more stuff or... remove it. And actually update often, not one to placate people and never updating again.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
Well, it displays active topics / shit you haven't seen since your last visit. That's kind of cool.

Truth is, we need to incorporate a feature for threads that would allow them to show up on the front page - like anyone could nominate a topic, but it would require administrative approval or something else like that.

This way we could have people posting the current SRL standings / hottest balance debates / best friggin' maps / whatever and have them as 'featured content', which is always a nice plus.

That's my brightest idea, otherwise the whole thing could rot (come on, last post in JUNE? ugh.)

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:06 pm »
What I don't understand is that why people are complaining about it when they could just bookmark http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?action=forum and not have to look at the portal page anyway. Why remove something that's pretty much optional?

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 05:36:29 pm »
Would be neat if the developer posted the progress on the next version there instead of on his blag.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 08:06:40 pm »
It needs some flavor, its easy enough to go directly to the forums so there's no reason to remove it.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 01:32:04 am »
keep it cuz mr. black says so

I use it to quickly glance at how many people are online.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38:02 am »
What I don't understand is that why people are complaining about it when they could just bookmark http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?action=forum and not have to look at the portal page anyway. Why remove something that's pretty much optional?

I'm not that stupid hehehe, it's just that in some places I can't add bookmarks, and some times I click the link of the portal accidentally. I've never seen anything useful in the whole thingy.

Would be neat if the developer posted the progress on the next version there instead of on his blag.

Jah, this would require more frequent updates from the developers though. MM is doing well with tweeting but EnEsCe isn't.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 12:27:23 pm »
Just to be sure. You are really talking about something that you can go over in about, let me guess, 1 to 2 seconds if you are not too silly to click forum?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 12:37:46 pm »
Just to be sure. You are really talking about something that you can go over in about, let me guess, 1 to 2 seconds if you are not too silly to click forum?

Yes, that's correct. I'm talking about a feature which I found only useless and time consuming the first time I saw it, as I have probably stated earlier in this topic. The extra info showing is only for the eye. Things such as how many boards or categories there are doesn't matter at all.