Author Topic: Intended Life Goal(s)  (Read 13513 times)

Offline Memxio

• Major
  • Rugertard
Intended Life Goal(s)
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:06:43 pm »
As far as interesting reads go, there aren't many in these forums nowadays. In an, admittedly, feeble attempt at changing that, I ask you fine forum-goers to reply with what you plan to do with your life and why. Feel free to make further inquiries or give helpful advice.

For starters, I am currently an undergraduate biology major and couldn't be happier. Throughout my life, every career I have ever wanted to pursue has involved animals in some manner, ranging from paleontology to veterinary school. In particular, the family Felidae piqued my interest more than others... I'm a cat lover. At the present moment, I am working towards a career in zoology with the intent of working at the Cincinnati Zoo, either in its Cat House, as a part of its Cat Ambassador program, or at the Zoo's regional cheetah breeding facility, Mast Farm.

On a, somewhat, unrelated note, the link in my signature is to the national undergraduate biological honor society, Beta Beta Beta.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:08:30 pm by Memxio »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: Intended Life Goal(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:32:29 pm »
There's no money in biology. Chemists invent WD-40 and they're set for life. Biologists have to be ridiculed by the church for like 100 years before they even become popular.

I want to build myself a replica AC Shelby Cobra. Since that will cost me a shit-ton of money in the mean time I'll just watch top gear like any other gear head.

If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:39:14 pm »
Now I'm not that great in studying, but I am hoping to become a champion in a Kumdo tournament.

It's either that, or becoming a military engineer, I've always been interested in building and fixing things.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:08 pm »
Dream Job: Magic: The Gathering R&D. Never going to happen ever, but still.

I have few life goals besides go to college get a job. Don't know what yet. Should get workin' on that...
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Memxio

• Major
  • Rugertard
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »
There's no money in biology. Chemists invent WD-40 and they're set for life. Biologists have to be ridiculed by the church for like 100 years before they even become popular.

I'm prepared to struggle through life on minimum wage, so long as it's doing something I love.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »

I'm prepared to struggle through life on minimum wage, so long as it's doing something I love.

Protip: Learn to use the high tech equipment used to get the job done.  Experience sells itself, despite what some 4 year old bastard says.   ;D

All of you who want to go to college, do it.  Make it happen.  Like...right f*cking now.  Do it.

Why?  Because I was in the same boat, looking at the same question, roughly eight years ago.  I'm glad I went to college.  Gained skills, gained knowledge, and gained employment.  Like I said, why aren't you doing it yet? 

Wasn't there a commercial that sounded like that?..in the nineties?

Anyhow, intended life goals are as follows:  1) Learn how to use as many scientific instruments, skillfully, as possible. 2) ??? , 3) Profit.

That and all the hippy crap about learning about yourself and living your life and all.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:34:55 pm »
Get laid before I'm 20.

Get rich off of computers.

Die happily.

What more could I want?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:06:17 pm »
Dream Job: Magic: The Gathering R&D. Never going to happen ever, but still.

I have few life goals besides go to college get a job. Don't know what yet. Should get workin' on that...

Why have me and you never played magic together!?

On-topic: Studying Mech. Engineering/Teaching. Probably end up teaching though.

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »
Either double major in Physics and Chemistry for undergrad and go for a PHD in one of them. I'm starting to lose interest though, as much as I love the subjects I couldn't stand doing them as a job. Being stuck in a lab or teaching is murder to me. Science is a hobbie, not a career for me.

My other choice would be to try going for detective work and eventually working my way up to a government detective type (FBI, CIA), these jobs would bring me much more happiness.

When I'm all to old for that I plan to get into the political business.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:03 pm »

Both my parents are PhD's in molecular biology, they make decent money and do enjoy their work.

As for me, a nice degree in computers would be nice. Considering teaching, but not sure about that.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:50:22 pm »
1) Graduate college with a Bachelor's in Computer Science.
2) Start a career earning decent pay.
3) Settle down and start a family.
4) Go into astronomy.
5) Profit.
6) ???
7) Happiness.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:57:51 pm »
Get back into the Army. Graduate EOD training. Get deployed as many times as possible until I find a wife. Settle down and have some kids. Maybe take up a teaching job in the EOD field. 

Also get some confirmed kills, that is only a bonus level though.
@ii

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »
Good goals all around for everyone.

Me: find a job or jobs that let me travel around the world.
Fall unmistakably in love and be loved in return, travel the world with my love.
Settle down in a switcheroo: live and work in the city for six months of the year, live and work in a small coastal town for the other six.
Have children.
Travel with the children every chance we get.

And/or: change the fabric of society in some way with a fundamental scientific, philosophical, or political contribution.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 01:48:17 am »
Get a nice job related to either science (preferably Chemistry or Biology) or a gaming industry. Haven't really thought about anything else though.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 05:43:20 am »
Start a band. Put Hungary back on the musical map.
Establish a flourishing scene, spearhead the spreading of quality music. Kill nu-metal for good.
Overthrow the government, change the Constitution, declare the fourth republic.
Write books. Twelve of them.
Travel around the world.

Die by one, final long walk across the continent.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 07:43:25 am »
Demonic kill Nu-Metal and you'll be killed by none other than a pissed off Arab with an AK-74 Scorpion SMG ;D
Anyways, I used to study psychiatry and left at the last year due to loss of interest, tried nuclear physics, but already lost the appetite after one single year...So now I'm going for what I've always wanted to do: Modern Civil Architecture. I've always been kinda soft towards mathematics being used in crafting mountain sized buildings ;D
b&

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 09:43:45 am »
getting a job and house and all that,have a litlle money, besides that, i dunno, have fun, laugh with friends,skate,drink,smoke,f**k,..

i have no real life goals. i just live and want to be happy [pigtail]

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 09:58:33 am »
get money
smoke weed
fuck bitches

and if i get bored of that either rob a bank or assassinate a famous political or religious figure

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 10:06:31 am »
1) Get a job as a developer.
2) Graduate college with a Bachelor's in Computer Science.
3) ???
4) Graduate university with a Masters.
5) Get a better job.
6) ???

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 11:37:35 am »
Start a band. Put Hungary back on the musical map.
Establish a flourishing scene, spearhead the spreading of quality music. Kill nu-metal for good.
Overthrow the government, change the Constitution, declare the fourth republic.
Write books. Twelve of them.
Travel around the world.

Die by one, final long walk across the continent.
Wimp, plane crash is the only respectable way to die for musicians.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace