Author Topic: 1 versus 1 Map - Maya Themed  (Read 5647 times)

Offline jerich

• Camper
Re: 1 versus 1 Map - Maya Themed
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 06:42:22 am »
I like default looking maps and putting mass scenery in the background just seems like a shortcut to over-acceserizing your map. And the fact that it probably be unplayable where you will have plenty of trouble being able to see anything. I guess the overview might be appealing to some, but the gameplay would not be any good imo.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:12:59 am »
Well I'm sick and tired of playing the same maps...we need new ones with different looks and different style of play.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:08 am »
I like default looking maps and putting mass scenery in the background just seems like a shortcut to over-acceserizing your map. And the fact that it probably be unplayable where you will have plenty of trouble being able to see anything. I guess the overview might be appealing to some, but the gameplay would not be any good imo.

Agreed. Such bg is just a shortcut to make overview pic sexy. Though you probably knew, I'd say that

DarkCrusade

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 10:34:39 am »
Agreed. Such bg is just a shortcut to make overview pic sexy. Though you probably knew, I'd say that

Well, yes, I knew you´d say that Suow :P I made 3 versions of the map. One with much scenery in the background, one filled to the middle and one with less scenery.

Well I'm sick and tired of playing the same maps...we need new ones with different looks and different style of play.

That´s why I keep making maps for subgamemodes. If there are no new maps it gets boring, really boring, and then the players quit the gamemode.

All maps with such background are playable if the map creator was actually smart enough not to blend the players. The sun in the background changed now due to changes on the opacity and layerwork. For the reason that some like the maps with filled background and with less of that kind I made 3 versions like I said before.

Here are my 3 versions of the map:

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 11:26:46 am »

All maps with such background are playable if the map creator was actually smart enough not to blend the players. The sun in the background changed now due to changes on the opacity and layerwork. For the reason that some like the maps with filled background and with less of that kind I made 3 versions like I said before.

I guess you might call it playable, but it could be untolerable. For instance, take poppin's Stardrop map. Even his had less scenery than yours and just his stars caused such a nuisance in the visuals amongst the players. Such small scenery caused a problem. Now, let's take yours on the grand scale.

My point is, if you're using scenery that big, the opacity should be light, I mean REALLY light. When the scenery becomes the focal point of the map, especially in that huge size, it just becomes too distracting. All 3 of your versions would just be a headache to play on.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 02:32:11 pm »
3rd version is best.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 09:33:56 pm »
3rd is the best for me too
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 01:15:33 am »
3rd does seem best...
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 03:30:44 am »
I don't really like the map overall. Its looks like it would be very boring in gameplay, and it isn't even that great to look at.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

DarkCrusade

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 07:26:31 am »
I guess you might call it playable, but it could be untolerable. For instance, take poppin's Stardrop map. Even his had less scenery than yours and just his stars caused such a nuisance in the visuals amongst the players. Such small scenery caused a problem. Now, let's take yours on the grand scale.

My point is, if you're using scenery that big, the opacity should be light, I mean REALLY light. When the scenery becomes the focal point of the map, especially in that huge size, it just becomes too distracting. All 3 of your versions would just be a headache to play on.

Stardrops major problem was that the stars were blending other players. I didn´t use a light white for my sun and the opacity is at 30 right now in the first version. The other 3 versions don´t have any suns, just sunbeams. If I actually changed the opacity of the trees on the map it would look plain horrible. Imagine the overlapping ... Other than that the other 2 versions don´t focus on scenery, I won´t release a map without any scenery just to let you know due to the fact that I used just about 50 scenery objects for the first version ...

Well, it´s your opinion. I won´t try to tell you what to think. I just want to make sure that you understand my point of view :)

I don't really like the map overall. Its looks like it would be very boring in gameplay, and it isn't even that great to look at.

Without any playtest you are not in position to judge about the gameplay. Try to upload it to a server and do some playtesting and tell me what´s up with gameplay and I will do what I am able to to make gameplay better.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »
playtesting is not the only way to judge
just calm down, and maybe add a little island on the lower left

DarkCrusade

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 01:03:56 am »
Did I seem to be angry? No way dude :) I wasn angry at all :D Well, actually there is an island n the lower left corner .... maybe add one in the sky? Maybe a bridge? Or a temple entry in the lower right corner leading to the top?

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 01:54:15 am »
Did I seem to be angry? No way dude :) I wasn angry at all :D Well, actually there is an island n the lower left corner .... maybe add one in the sky? Maybe a bridge? Or a temple entry in the lower right corner leading to the top?
No...You seem'd uneasy and frustrated and it's hard to talk to you.
Frankly, I think all maps that has veg sceneries looks like theyre made by same mapper.

Jerich tried to describe in details that what I said a bit rudely.
But.. Since you're a little bit dumb, opinions doesn't really reach you
no madder how they're been expressed.

Incase if your willing to hear me now this is all you need:
No backgrounds, no eyesores, no vegs and first of all better layout design.

As it is now, I think this map is hopeless.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:02:05 am by smiluu »

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 03:05:42 am »
As a 1vs1 match, it's really nothing new and special--that middle part of the map is really lacking polyislands.

A complete layout overhaul that retains all the current special map features; buildings, sun, vegetation, etc is a good way to go.

So as it is, all three versions of this map is just decent eye candy. Pretty atmospheric too, what with the sun rays and all.

It's not too shabby ;)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:36 am »
No...You seem'd uneasy and frustrated and it's hard to talk to you.
Frankly, I think all maps that has veg sceneries looks like theyre made by same mapper.

Jerich tried to describe in details that what I said a bit rudely.
But.. Since you're a little bit dumb, opinions doesn't really reach you
no madder how they're been expressed.

Incase if your willing to hear me now this is all you need:
No backgrounds, no eyesores, no vegs and first of all better layout design.

If you say now "no offense, but ..." I will kill you ;)

Then get your ass out of this topic.

Well, the layout is really nothing special. Yes, the map is mostly eyecandy. Don´t offend me please.

As a 1vs1 match, it's really nothing new and special--that middle part of the map is really lacking polyislands.

A complete layout overhaul that retains all the current special map features; buildings, sun, vegetation, etc is a good way to go.

So as it is, all three versions of this map is just decent eye candy. Pretty atmospheric too, what with the sun rays and all.

It's not too shabby ;)

Adding polyislands is a good idea. I thought that I could add a temple entrance in the lower right corner that leads to the middle top or the lower left corner, but I am not sure about that. If I work more on this maps there will be less eyecatching scenery in the background.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 12:36:24 pm »
that tunnel would ruin the x1 thing, too much space for running

DarkCrusade

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 04:51:36 am »
Smiluu, understand that I do things for people who like it. You are not forced to play this map nor Soldat.

that tunnel would ruin the x1 thing, too much space for running

I figured out you are right, I´ll add polyislands.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:52 am »
Update it and show us :)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 01:12:25 pm »
Update it and show us :)

Well, here it is :) Version #4 is out! I added the island in the middle, worked on the basic structure of the polygons (bugs and stuff) and on the scenery. The map is now bigger, needs final texture stretching and eventually more jets but first of all I want to know what you think of it right now :P

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 04:19:06 pm »

- less trees in the background / increase colour transparency / smaller trees
- make two instead of three platforms on the right (D)
- the diagonal brace doesn't fit imo (C)
- (A) looks unfinished / unintended
- on (B): if you look to the right and walk left...you can't
- (E) make it solid (so you can walk on it)
- (F) confuses you because even after some time you still think you could walk on it (it's the reflex experienced players have: you see the solid ground and automatically want to roll)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:21:06 pm by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.