Poll

Do you want more people working and developing Soldat?

Yes
38 (84.4%)
No
4 (8.9%)
Maybe
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Why can't we get more people working on Soldat?  (Read 21364 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Re: Why can't we get more people working on Soldat?
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »
the code is messy, that's what eC is whining about. it's hard for more than 1 to code something that is poorly coded.
No it isn't, what are you on? Have you people never heard of teamwork?
have you EVER coded before? no? then STFU
have you EVER tried working in a team? no?
yes, that's even required from you ins school.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:39 pm »
Major, Loner, cool it. Let's not turn this thread into even more of a flamewar. ::)

There are other worlds than these

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2009, 11:02:22 pm »
Consider things cooled.  He gets to STFU for a bit.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »
Eh.. as much as I disagree with -major-, I don't think his comments were that much against the rules (even though expressed not in the best of ways).

on topic: Like I said, if everyone works towards learning to cooperate well, a good teamwork can be achieved whether the code is messy or not. The problem is not in difficulty of cooperation, but in the fact that NSC doesn't want to cooperate.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »
Personally, I don't care about his opinion.  If he can't explain his stance beyond "STFU" in this section of the forum, after being told to shape up and focus, then it's no surprise he got whacked for a bit. 

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:08 pm »
Eh, no one's discussing your point Geo, nor will I, let's just get back on topic;
How messy is the code to be more exact? How many bugs to lines of code are we talking here? (When the first official soldat release was out)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:46:29 am by demoniac93 »
b&

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2009, 03:28:08 pm »
If the code really is that messy, theres a thing to do: structurize and organize it better, rewrite the most messiest parts and try to get it into a proper shape.

For a developer this is quite a pain to do as it can bring in bugs, break different parts of the application and well and usually is very boring. However, they can(and usually do) in turn address some awkward bugs, provide deeper understanding of the underlying workings of the codebase and make the code much easier to work with in the future.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:35:50 pm by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2009, 04:53:12 pm »
If the code really is that messy, theres a thing to do: structurize and organize it better, rewrite the most messiest parts and try to get it into a proper shape.
Which would require a huge amount of time and an extensive knowledge of the code that only MM probably has.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2009, 05:20:56 pm »
Which would require a huge amount of time and an extensive knowledge of the code that only MM probably has.
Which is why you open source it, so you can have a large number of people look at the code instead of one.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:49 pm »
The thing is, that these days people want more than Soldat can offer. And meaning of Soldat varies alot between different players.

If I could choose, remove scripting, remove all the useless garbage and bring back the Soldat from 2004-2006. Fix the bugs and keep up with BatllEye, provide more bug fixes and update the weapon mod. Thats it.

Man, Clawbug, I couldn't agree with you more. I love moddability as well and I love neat things like animated sceneries. However I do miss Soldat from that era. Then again all I ever did was play CTF on pubs for hours on end. For newer game modes I also like Trenchwars - but it's one of those things that only a certain few like.

All in all, other than perhaps clean up code and kill bugs, I think Soldat is good where it's at or get rid of unused or little used features and revert it back to the way it was intended. It does not have to be any more advanced beyond this point. Otherwise, then yes, it's not going to be Soldat anymore.

Which is why you open source it, so you can have a large number of people look at the code instead of one.

Good point, but the problem is trust. Source code in the wrong hands, makes for a major headache for the rest of us. Remember what happened with the Quake games, when their source code was released?

I wouldn't mind though if Enesce, Michal and whoever else was currently working on Soldat - to share the source with other trusted members of the community, such as long time beta testers (those that can program). Within this community, there's got to be quite the number of experienced programmers. Plus, if you're a true Soldat fan, you probably wish you could work on Soldat.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:58 pm »

Good point, but the problem is trust. Source code in the wrong hands, makes for a major headache for the rest of us. Remember what happened with the Quake games, when their source code was released?

I wouldn't mind though if Enesce, Michal and whoever else was currently working on Soldat - to share the source with other trusted members of the community, such as long time beta testers (those that can program). Within this community, there's got to be quite the number of experienced programmers. Plus, if you're a true Soldat fan, you probably wish you could work on Soldat.
I don't know what happened with the Quake games, enlighten me.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:28 am »

Lately it's become debatable... yay me for keeping up with facts and stories, but supposedly, one of the reasons why online multiplayer for the quake games - namely Q1 and Q2 dwindled to almost nothing was because of rampant cheating. When the source was released - the servers became flooded with cheats shortly after. Now this is being debated and there are even programmers who are saying that the games would have been better open-source from the beginning as then the ability for cheating could have been better circumvented. I won't get into that.

Fact or fiction of the Quake source aside, if Soldat was open-source, would that make it easier for hackers to make cheats, hacks and whatever else that could be undetectable by BE or any other preventative measure? Of course, if it was open-source, then perhaps, those working on the code could implement many preventative measures.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2009, 11:21:09 am »

Lately it's become debatable... yay me for keeping up with facts and stories, but supposedly, one of the reasons why online multiplayer for the quake games - namely Q1 and Q2 dwindled to almost nothing was because of rampant cheating. When the source was released - the servers became flooded with cheats shortly after. Now this is being debated and there are even programmers who are saying that the games would have been better open-source from the beginning as then the ability for cheating could have been better circumvented. I won't get into that.

Fact or fiction of the Quake source aside, if Soldat was open-source, would that make it easier for hackers to make cheats, hacks and whatever else that could be undetectable by BE or any other preventative measure? Of course, if it was open-source, then perhaps, those working on the code could implement many preventative measures.
The source being opened does make it easier to develop cheats, but as you said, it also allows more people to develop anti-hack measures.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »

Consider for a sec, Linux, OpenBSD especially. They're 100% open source from the beginning and almost never get hacked. Compare that to Windows which gets hacked constantly.

Statistically speaking, open source software is less likely to get hacked and screwed with as you've got many, many more eyes (some malicious, some not) on the code.

Yeah, if you open source Soldat right now, all sorts of s**t'll spring up immediately. But after several months of work, they'll start dying down.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2009, 05:22:07 pm »
The analogy of OS being hacked is somewhat skewed though, it's easy to trick Windows users due to their average ignorace hence even simplest of malicious software can be "profitable", meaning that it's very easy to "start out" with writing malicious software. Also Windows supplies tools with WinAPI. Practically impossible to base an opinion on such a comparison.

However, opening Soldat's source would have both good and bad effects. First of all, it would spring up so-called forks, when someone takes the source and modifies it and releases it as an another game. Multiple similar forks of same software just disort the market, lose-lose for everybody. Second, possibly more progress and faster progress with the development. Third most likely increased cheating.

Opening Soldat's source would not be an option in my opinion. I see that the future of Soldat is in it's players, this community and EnEsCe. Community tells what they want to see, and EnEsCe tries to implement it. Thats it. But then again, if only things were that easy.

Start simple. If something is hard to understand then work trough the code piece by piece until there is basic understanding. Then start implementing it in a possibly better way. Finally replace the old code with own code which is more readable and makes more sense.

No, no code is "unreadable" from a programmers perspective, and I am sure EnEsCe is skilled enough to understand most of the code. I've got to say he is not a beginner with it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:30:48 pm by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2009, 06:59:02 pm »
The analogy of OS being hacked is somewhat skewed though, it's easy to trick Windows users due to their average ignorace hence even simplest of malicious software can be "profitable", meaning that it's very easy to "start out" with writing malicious software. Also Windows supplies tools with WinAPI. Practically impossible to base an opinion on such a comparison.
...are you saying there isn't an API for the Linux kernal? Because you would be incredibly wrong.

First of all, it would spring up so-called forks, when someone takes the source and modifies it and releases it as an another game. Multiple similar forks of same software just disort the market, lose-lose for everybody.
Not if the developers in control of the main branch are competent.

Third most likely increased cheating.
Only initially.

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2009, 05:32:51 am »
I want all the people in the world

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2009, 05:37:00 am »
That could potentially worsen Soldat.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2009, 05:37:59 am »
...are you saying there isn't an API for the Linux kernal? Because you would be incredibly wrong.

Well, with Linux/BSD there isn't really a centralized API that does everything (eg: widgets, graphics, sound, everything-in-one), like the WinAPI. Instead there are several smaller ones to pick from, and when you stick them together you get a working app.

(the actual specific Linux Kernel API is pretty much just for including hardware drivers)

That could potentially worsen Soldat.
That's only if you get a load of forks.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2009, 05:39:13 am »
I want all the people in the world

Quote speaks for itself...doesn't it?
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!